Could someone please advise me on exercise safety?
Serenity7 posted:
Hello,

I just found out I'm 5 weeks pregnant. I was wondering if someone could advise me on what exercise intensity is safe. I'm 30 and have been an athlete all my life. I read that pregnant woman shouldn't raise their heart rate over 160 bpm but I usually workout between 180 and 190 bpm. Is this ok to do this if my body is used it? I usually exercise for an hour or so. I don't feel dizzy or overheated since I sweat a lot. The only thing I notice is that I can't exercise at the same intensity. For example my HR will go up to 190 if I run at more than 7 mph. Before I was able to run at 8 mph and it would stay below 185 bpm.

I asked my doctor and she said its best not to overdo things which I realize of course but she wasn't able to give me a safe HR range. She just printed out a pregnancy & exercise info sheet which wasn't any help at all. I've tried to do research on the internet and I get mixed answers with limited info on heart rate.

I should also mention that I have a BMI of 25 so I am considered overweight (I'm working on cutting down on my ice cream and chocolate consumption).I would greatly appreciate any info I can get as I don't want to do anything to hurt my baby.

Thankyou,
Serenity

Take the Poll

What is a safe heart rate to be exercising at for an athlete in her 1st trimester?
  • 140 bpm or less
  • 160 bpm or less
  • 180 bpm or less
  • It doesn't matter as long as she is feeling good
vote
View Poll Results