Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Worried! U/S not match LMP dates
amanda1581 posted:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reading my post. Last Wednesday, (when I believe I was 6 weeks and 3 days by my LMP), my doctor did a transvaginal ultrasound which showed the gestational sac to be measuring 5 weeks and 2 days. Also, all we could see (so far) was a yolk sac. Should I be worried? The doctor made it seem like this pregnancy only had a 50/50 chance of progressing, she even handed me a miscarriage pamphlet. I'm so confused. I'm going back for a second ultrasound this Wednesday, but the wait is unbearable. Has anyone gone through this before?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

IslandGirl58 responded:
that's still super early to be seeing anything on u/s. I just scheduled my 1st u/s this morning, and same as my last 2 pregnancies, they don't bring you in until you're between 8-10 weeks for that very reason--there's not much to see yet, and they all develop differently, so you can't always tell this early if there is a problem or not. My first pregnancy was off by about a week when I got my first u/s, I thought I was 8 weeks, they said 7, but the u/s tech said that wasn't too much of a concern at that point. I did go on to m/c that pregnancy, but that doesn't really mean much. When I was PG with DD, there were a bunch of women on the 1st tri board, and I'm sure you'll find manyhere now as well, where their u/s date doesn't match their LMP date, and they go on to have healthy pregnancies and babies. My OB always refers to pregnancy as a "watch and wait" field of medicine--there's not much they can do about prevention of m/c or even predicting it, you just have to wait and see what happens. At this point, I would just be happy and pregnant, and just be prepared for anything that the next u/s will bring. My feeling is that until there's a reason to worry, then you shouldn't, and right now you're preggo, so no worries!!!

trgonzalez responded:
Lurking -Most likely it's due to the fact you o'd late. Most likely it's not a m/c. Just try not to stress and it'll all work out! GL

murphy7159 responded:
hi i had the same thing happen to me last thursday where i thought i was further along and they measured the gestational sac at 5 weeks and 2 days and there was a yolk sac but no fetal pole yet. they told me the same 50/50 but i believe its too early i am going in today for another ultrasound so hopefully i see a fetal pole or something.. it is very nerve racking i had a m/c in june so i am keeping faith this isnt the same thing. i wish now i would of waited until i was 8 weeks or 10 weeks instead of going thru this emotional roller coaster....just have faith and beleive

BlueEyes_xoxo0923 responded:
When I went in for my first u/s I was approx. 7 weeks 4 days per my LMP but when we got the U/S the doctor said I was only 5-6 weeks and I went a week ago and got another u/s. Everything is fine and they just moved my EDD to 07.09.09 which is 10 days later then the EDD per my LMP. Everything has been going well and I am sorry your doctor made it seem worse then what it is. Have you thought about trying to find another doctor who is more compassionate ? Good Luck. Keep us posted

ZaNdErSmOm1986 responded:
Ok well when I got my first u/s I should have been almost 8wks due to my LMP but I was only 4wks because I O'd 2 weeks later then I should have. All I saw was a yolk sac and then I went back 2 weeks later and got another one and there was the little bean! Don't worry about it. I am sure everything is ok. At 5 weeks there isn't a whole lot to see but a sac. I HTH!

newlywed2006 responded:
The same thing is happening to me. I think it is because I ovulate late - CD 19 or 20. So I am hoping that is why my bean was measuring one week behind my LMP.

Do you know when you ovulated?

Good luck! It doesn't sound like your dr. is very compassionate - I am sorry about that.

Robin0816 responded:
What a flippin insensitive doc! (JMO).. Anyway, you probably ovulated late. It's common and happens all the time. They wont change your due date unless the measurements are more than +/- 10 days. But to assume you'll have a m/c is way over jumping the gun. For the measurments, it sounds like your doc saw what should have been seen. Only another u/s can say for sure either way but seriously, I'd really try not to stress. I know thats easier said than done but you're not bleeding or anything. I'd take that as a good sign and stay positive. Keep us updated!!

militarywife97 responded:
I went through the same thing a few weeks ago. I did IVF where everything is on a schedule and when I had my 1st ultrasound, all that was there was a yolk sac (that was at about 5wk 3d). He said it could be breaking down. But by the next week there was a heartbeat, and last week we heard the heartbeat! I was worried sick that week. I thought for sure I would miscarry, but everything turned out ok! Good luck!!!

amanda1581 responded:
Thanks everyone for your responses. They're keeping me focused on the chances that things will work out ok. I'm not sure when I ovulated, so anything's possible! I will definitely check back in once I have my next appt (on Wednesday) and hopefully I'll have good news to share as well!

amanda1581 responded:
Update:

We had another ultrasound today and there was exactly 1 week's worth of growth, so now I'm measuring at 6 weeks and 2 days. They saw the fetal poles and the CRL was 5.4 mm and we even saw a faint little heartbeat! The doctor said she'd like the heartbeat to be a little stronger, not sure if thats her doom and gloom way or if there really is something to be concerned about still, but for now, things are looking up! I have another appointment next Wednesday to check on the heartbeat and growth and if all goes well then, I'll be on to once per month visits!

Does anyone know whether its normal for a machine not to measure BPM? I asked her what the BPM was, and she said the machine she was using doesn't measure that? I thought it was pretty standard to measure that once a heartbeat was seen, but then again- this is my first time so I don't know a whole lot about how things are done.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my post!

lynnewill responded:
I pray that someone is still interested in this. The same thing happened to me yesterday. Like the other posts, we also have a 50/50 chance. I thought I was 7 weeks but the ultrasound is showing only about 4 weeks. I took a blood test yesterday and I will take another one on Monday to see if the pregnancy hormones are increasing or staying still. It could be that I am off about my last period or that I could have ovulated late. Unfortunately, I have not experienced morning sickness or breast tenderness this week like I did in the past. I am worried and horribly scared. We cancelled our Easter vacation this weekend because I just couldn't take the news! Again, I pray someone is still reading this. I am an emotional mess.

mombare23015 responded:
Well, I don't know if you are religious or not. I feel that GOD has a plan for all of us. I mc back in Dec and Im pregnant again now. With the last one, there was no hb found @ 6 weeks and I had blood work done 3 different times. With the current one, I had spotting @ 5 wks and then was put on bed rest for just over a week. Went to Dr's on Monday and the LO is doing GREAT.

So, if it is meant to be, your LO will grow and be healthy. Don;t stress too much and enjoy the thought of being pregnant. HTH

Kasary responded:
He gave you an miscarriage pamphlet?!!! I think it is totally inconsiderate. I am sorry you had to go through that. but like PP said do not throw the towel yet. I thought I was 6w4d but U/S showed 5w5d. the dr did not worry about it too much. she just asked me to go back for a 2nd ultrasound on tuesday. I am the one who worried but she said it only means that my due date is different.

in your case 5w2d is way too early to see much of anything. so do not worry about it and keep us posted.

Punches responded:
I think I would only be worried if you knew that you hadn't had sex in the window where the ultrasound date is putting you (like if it was several days after you thought you'd conceived and you knew DH was out of town or something).

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am a mom of 3 kids 1 boy10 ans 2 girls 3,4 me and my hubby are now expecting baby number 4 this jan and cannot wait!

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
166 of 216 found this helpful