Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

When did your belly start to get hard and show?
nanderlonis01 posted:
Hello! I am 10 weeks and I still cant tell if I have a little pouch or is it just my fat roll because it is still not very hard...lol. I guess what my question is: when did your stomach start to get firm and when did you start showing?

KDJK0001 responded:
I didn't really start showing until I was about 6 1/2 months with my first pregnancy. I did go through a "bloating" phase around 10 - 14 or 15 weeks though. I kept thinking I was definitely going to need maternity clothes soon, but ended up not really needing them until about 8 months. I don't know that the bloating ever really went away or I just got used to it, but after week 14 or 15, I didn't notice it anymore.
I'll be interested to see how this pregnancy goes! I know you start showing earlier with each subsequent pregnancy, but I am holding out hope that I can at least make it to 4 months so I won't be showing on our cruise the first week of May!!

bcfrost816 responded:
Well, it kind of depends just on your body and whether or not this is your first pregnancy or not. With my DD I did not start to "show" until about 15 weeks and my belly was hard.

With this one, I am 11 weeks 4 days and I'm already showing with a hard round ball, like a basketball (not quite that big though) :) It happens much earlier with your subsequent pregnancies than with your first. My OB explained it this way: before you are pregnant, your uterus is like a baloon, and it starts to expand and "blow up" over your pregnancy, and since it has never done that before, it takes longer. With subsequent pregnancies, your balloon has been inflated before so it stretches out much faster.

KDJK0001 replied to bcfrost816's response:
Well said! The balloon analogy explains it perfectly!

And you are also right about it depending on your body. Each person is going to show at different times. A friend of mine starting showing at 10 weeks during her first pregnancy. Like maternity clothes are required showing. We all thought she was having twins because she got so big, so fast!!

Jennax907 responded:
With my first one I didn't start showing until 6 months and didn't really ever need maternity clothes. Maybe a few shirts to cover my belly towards the end but that's about it. With this one I started to show around 11 weeks. I am 12 weeks (almost 13) and it looks like I have a little pooch. It's usually a lot more pronounced in the evening and doesn't show in the morning.

Jacque72903 responded:
Hi, with my DS I didn't really even notice anything until about 3 months. But after I had him I didn't really lose any weight so I am plus size now. I don't think I will "show" for a while, but my pants are tight, I broke out the maternity pants last night, just because I don't want to buy other pants and I am all about being comfortable. And who is going to know, well except you guys. lol

roni090909 responded:
This is my 2nd pregnancy and my belly is already getting hard. I am only 5 weeks. With my first I didn't start showing until after 15 weeks and at the point I was in a mixture of maternity and regular clothes. I was pretty small then though. I still have about 8 lbs on me from my first, so I can't tell if I have a little pooch growing or if its just my leftover fat. But my belly is definitely getting harder.

SunConure responded:
I am pregnant with my first and my doctor explained at my last appt that since it's my first baby my uterus is still very low, still in the pelvic cavity and that's why I couldn't feel anything like a ball. I have just started to notice in the last couple days my belly is thicker, if that makes sense? My sister who had her first in 08 didn't show really until 20 weeks and it does make a difference depending on how your built when you show.

nanderlonis01 responded:
Thank you everyone....and duh I guess I should've put this is my second pregnancy. My daughter is eight and I just cant remember when I started to show with her, since its been so long. Also, I am 200lbs and eight years ago I was less than that when I gave birth...Thanks for sharing!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Sherry, been married to Simon since 2/2007. He's a truck driver, I'm a stay at home mom. It took us over a year to have DD because I h...More

Helpful Tips

Constipation Tip! (Gross, I know.)
Hi Ladies! With every pregnancy my worst symptom has been my inability to poop. It's pretty disgusting, I know. HOWEVER, the only reason ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 196 found this helpful