Skip to content

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Is it true?
Jacque72903 posted:
Is it true that with your 2nd pregnancy the labor doesn't last as long? DS came in 8 hours, I think it would have been less if I had decided to take the epidural sooner. I live over an hour away from the hospital now, and I work full time. I am worried about what will happen if I go into labor! DH said that we might go stay with his parents when it gets close to time, but I was thinking I really would like to work as long as possible so when I take off, I am with the baby and ds the whole time. Silly stuff to worry over, but it is the slow week at work, and I am bored.

FloralMom responded:
Most of the time, yes, but not always!

Any time you are induced it's going to take longer, simply because your body just isn't ready yet, and you are forcing it into labor.

Also, the position of the baby has a lot to do with it. A baby head down is going to help labor along a lot more than a breech baby.

My labor with DS was about 12 hours total. I was 6 hours into labor before I actually thought... "hmmm, maybe this IS real labor" and finally went to the hospital. With my 2nd, there were quite a few complications and I had to be induced... after 12 hours of labor I was only 1/2 way there. I was actually in labor for about 15 hours BUT - the actual delivery, took a lot less time (pushing) and was much easier.

Every baby and every pregnancy are different!

roni090909 responded:
If your first labor was 8 hours you will probably have enough time to get to the hossy. I have heard its true. I sure hope so, with DS my water broke at 7:30pm, they started the pitocin at 7am and I didn't push until 6pm and he wasn't born until 8:45. I had a LONG labor and I sure hope I don't have to push for 3 hours again.

FloralMom responded:
On a side note: I've heard from many doctors and nurses, and books for that matter, that an epi can actually SLOW labor down.

The day, DS was born, I got up, applied make-up, got dressed, (high heels included) and went to work - I worked at a credit union in the loan department. I was there for 2 hours... my co-worker notice that I was making tally marks on a sheet of paper and asked what I was doing. I told her I was marking my contractions. She freaked out because there were almost 50 on the page and I had only been there for 2 hours - that's contractions 2-4 min apart! She MADE me call DH!

Even if your labor is faster this time around, after having experience it before you will know sooner in your labor that it is time and you'll be able to make your way to the hossy sooner too!

Jacque72903 replied to FloralMom's response:
I have heard that about the epi too, but for me I was so scared to take it cause everyone kept telling me bad stories about it that I put it off for a long time. I got it at 4:30 and progressed very quickly because I was so much more relaxed. I had ds at 6:50. I would have pushed him out sooner, but the doc wasn't there and they kept screaming at me to wait!

KDJK0001 responded:
My mom has 4 kids and each one of us came faster than the one before. The first, she was in labor all night long so when she went into labor with me (her 2nd) at 9:30 in the morning, she thought she would have plenty of time. After a quick shower, she realized it was going faster and I was born at 12:26 pm. My brother was slightly quicker and my baby sister almost wasn't born in a hospital!

I know people on both end of the spectrum...some took longer, but most 2nd, 3rd, etc babies came faster!

tabby62010 replied to KDJK0001's response:
lurking...

With my first, I was in a little over 15 hours of labor, and after three hours of pushing, she was out. On her due date!

With my second, I was in almost 20 hours of labor, pushed for 3 1/2 hours, he wouldn't budge because of the position he was in, and had to have an emergency C-section.

I hope that this time around I can do it at least as well as I did with my first. I just don't want a C-section! I guess it's different with each pregnancy and each woman. What my mother went through is not the same as what I have gone through.

KP1985 responded:
It couldn't get much quicker than my firstborn... We got to the hospital @ 1:15am (and they stuck me in an exam room - not believing I was in labor) My water broke @ 3:15am and craziness began... the doc barely got there. Two pushes and he was born.

My daughter we got to the hospital about 1:15am also, they took me right to a room and I labored until 4:15 and they checked me and I was at a 9. Then they called the doc, she got there and broke my water. DD was born @ 4:45am.

So, really they were pretty close in time.I don't go to the hospital until the LAST minute - if you couldn't tell.

KSHoh replied to KP1985's response:
Hopefully I can labor @ home as long as I can- trying not to get the epi. So hoping for a short labor.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
It can be true-it also can be not so true. I have known women whose second labors are much longer than the first. Typically though the second goes a wee bit faster.

KP1985 replied to KSHoh's response:
I think it feels shorter if you do it at home longer. Then you also don't have the pressure of the docs and nurses asking you if you want something for the pain. (If you don't.) "Yes, thanks - I want this baby out!" haha

Plus, when you're home you have more freedom, comfort, and distractions. Always nice when you're in pain. I hope it works out just the way you hoped!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Elisa! I have been married to my husband for 2 1/2 years. We have a son named Blake! He is the love of my life. I just found out that I am ...More

Helpful Tips

Juice out hunger
Because I can't eat all the suggested fruits and vegetables daily I juice them. That takes the hunger away and I eat a meal about 8pm. It ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.