Skip to content

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Baby #3 and job worries
candcmomma posted:
Hello all! So, DH and I were shocked to discover last week that we are expecting baby #3! Haven't told everyone in the family yet, just getting used to the idea ourselves. I'm a little worried about my job situation and I'm not sure if anyone has had a similar situation. I am graduating as an RN in a couple of weeks, and I'm nervous about going out to find a job while preggo. What are my rights as far as maternity leave goes? I'm in MA and it seems like I only need to work for 3 months to get unpaid leave??? That would be great, since I could work about 6 months before my due date...if I get a job right away!! Any advice or past experiences you can share would be great!

KDJK0001 responded:
I found out I was pregnant with DD less than a week before I started my current job. FMLA allows you up to 12 weeks off, but you "technically" have to be employed for 12 months (or have worked 1250 hours) to be eligible.
My boss let me take it off anyway. When I started talking to HR, no one mentioned that I wasn't eligible and I didn't bring it up! I guess it would depend on where you work and who your manager is. They may have their own policy in addition to FMLA. I think most people would be pretty understanding in this case...

Here is the Wikipedia link that explains FMLA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_and_Medical_Leave_Act_of_1993

jel0267 responded:
You should check out Mass state law. I'm in CT and for us we can take up to 16 weeks of leave if we have worked at least a 1000 hrs for an employer (or something like that, I can't exactly remember). I went on 4 job interviews and got hired for 2 different jobs when I was pregnant with my son (I am also an RN). I would recommend that you not tell your prospective employer when you are interviewing. Anyway, like the pp said, it may not matter if you are not eligible to have your job saved through FMLA. A person I work with was a new grad and she was 7 months when she was hired, and was on orientation until a few weeks before she had the baby, and they still held her position for her.

candcmomma replied to jel0267's response:
That is a relief to hear! I'm just hoping to get some interviews before I really start showing! Feels a little deceitful, but I really need the job, haha! I looked into MA law and it seems pretty liberal, I just really need to get in somewhere fast! Not a good thing in this economy, but I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I know that you shouldn't bring it up during an interview. But, everyone is right-it varies between states and based on the size of the company.

Best wishes on your job hunt!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey, I'm Jackie and I'm 27 y/o. I have been in a relationship with DF for almost 6 yrs. I must say that this pregnancy is a surprise since we ...More

Helpful Tips

Pregnancy and flying
Can anyone help me out?! I'm 29 weeks pregnant and its not a high risk pregnancy, i was wondering if anyone here has ever flew while ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.