Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Swelling of feet and legs
gambit9436 posted:
My wife is 12 weeks along and her feet and legs are beginning to swell about every night. Anything we can do to help this? Also, what does this signify?

flutterbymama2be responded:
I don't really know what it signifies, besides carrying a lot of fluid, but my feet and ankles are swollen every night as well. I just try to keep my feet up, when possible, cut down on salt, and that's about it. I don't know how early it sets in, but you may want to read on preeclampsia if your wife has high blood pressure of if she is high risk. I know that is one of the things I am trying to avoid. HTH

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
She should check with her doctor asap for recommendations. It could be normal but it could indicate some issues.

Make sure to reduce sodium from all sources, don't stand or sit still in one place for a long time, put her feet up whenever possible and drink lots and lots of water. (the water part sounds weird since reducing fluid is what you want-but it does work)

flutterbymama2be replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Yup, I forgot the water part. All I drink is water, so I didn't think about that. :)

lestersgirls responded:
I am 15 weeks now and have been swelling since about 10 weeks. I am insulin dependent when I am pregnant and for some reason, I don't drink very much when I'm taking it. My doctor told me the same thing that Louise said. You have to drink lots of water to keep flushing it out of your system. If you aren't drinking water, you'll retain it. Sounded weird to me too, but it seems to help.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Well I'm 21 years old. My boyfriend Kent (23) and I have been together for alittle over two years. We're completely crazy about eachother! A y...More

Helpful Tips

6 Embarrassing Pregnancy Symptoms
Experts offer tips for coping with everything from excess gas to forgetfulness. To help you know what you can really expect when you're ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 80 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.