Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

rate of heartbeat could predict gender
heatherenee posted:
Well, i know alot of people would consider this little myth a wives tale....personally however, the more people i ask it really seems like it could have alot of truth to it....If your carrying a girl the heartbeat will be up over 150, and if your carrying a boy the heartbeat will be lower than 150. i saw our little bean's heartbeat at our u/s a few weeks ago and it was 122....so does that really mean chances are its a boy? What do u guys think?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

cara90 responded:
I have heard about this and I'm not really sure on what to believe. I heard that the heartbeat at the end of pregnancy is what seperates boy from girl. Lol I hope this is true because I went in for a u/s at 7 weeks and the heartbeat was 124bpm, I really want a girl :) but either way I will be happy as long as my little tadpole is healthy.

bgabert responded:
One of my friends is pregnant with a boy, at her first u/s, which was around 8 weeks, the heartbeat was 160bpm. She is definiely having a boy as it's been determined twice already!

At my first u/s when I was PG with DD, her HB was 155 and that was at about 7W2D.

I don't put any faith into the HB wives tale!
Bri (24), DH - Jarrod (28), DD - Emery (1), Baby 2 EDD 2/13/2011

SunConure responded:
I don't know if I can believe this myth or not, because I have also heard the heartrate can change depending on the age of the fetus. My little girls first heartbeats were low like 130's- 140's and the further along I got they got faster and finally leveled off at anywhere between 150-160's. An my sister had a boy and his heartrate was always in the 150's and my cousin had both a boy and a girl and theres were low 130-140's.

abbygailsmom1 responded:
Both of my girls hb's were really high. DD1 was 181bmp @ 8 weeks and DD2 was 190 @ 12 weeks. This baby is 159 @ 7 weeks so I am pretty sure it is a boy. We will see in about 8 weeks or so. Just about everyone that I have talked to has learned the gender of their babies based on hb. A lot of it depends on how early the hb is heard.

I guess it also depends on the momma as well. I guess you will probably know future babies based on what this first one is. If this first one is a boy and the next one has a hb of 180 it will probably be a girl.
Me (30) DH (28) DD1 (5) DD2 (2) Baby 3 EDD 1/25/11

Jennax907 responded:
This wives tale wasn't true for us. My son always had a HB in the 170's and with this pregnancy my little girl's HB was always in the 140's-130's. HB doesn't have anything to do with gender.

StarryGrrl responded:
When I had my ultrasound on Wednesday and got to hear my baby's heartbeat, the Dr. said "Oh, the heartbeat is pretty fast, you are probably having a girl". But then he laughed and said, "Well, I have about a 50/50 success rate of guessing gender using that old wives tale". I thought it was pretty funny.
Me (31) Diagnosed with PCOS in 2004 DH (31) DS 8/04/08 ~ born with his intestines in two pieces and had to have 2 surgeries before 6 weeks old. He's a happy, healthy toddler now!

krazykatt707 replied to StarryGrrl's response:
Well with my son, his HB was in the 170's the entire pregnancy up until about a month before I delivered. This baby's HB was 156 BPM at 7w 3d so as far as I know, this myth is not true.
Rachel(26),DH(27),DS(3),EDD(2-6-11)

KK13 responded:
The heart rate difference doesn't work until you are closer to delivery. You have to remember that wives tales came about way before the technology we have now. All they had back then was a stethoscope to listen to the heartbeat, and they usually didn't get that until around 30 weeks. I have read research studies that say generally a girl has a higher heart rate right before delivery than a boy does.

heatherenee responded:
So in reply to my own post...I had another ultrasound friday, (12 wks)and the heartbeat now is 170! guess that blows that theory out of the water lol It went from reallllllly low to reallllly high. I'm a little anxious to see if it stays this high tho. Id love a boy but part of me really kinda wants a baby girl.

arodgwat replied to heatherenee's response:
my baby's HB has been around 138-140 the last couple of visits. The most accurate way to tell if it's a girl or boy..other than ultrasound ..is the string test.! I know it sounds crazy and how can it be so right but it has never failed w/ anyone i know ..family, friends and strangers. :) You take a string w/ a ring on it and hold it over your belly. If it goes in circles it's a girl, if it goes back and forth it's a boy. my husband refuses to believe but i swear!! It works.. :) Mine was going in circles but i had all the 'symptoms' of carrying a boy. Carrying in the hips, craving sour foods, no morning sickness.. But today we had our ultrasound and IT'S A GIRL! ha! Go figure. Do it..just for fun..just to see if it's right.

michelleloehr replied to arodgwat's response:
I think it's a wives tale. My LO hb was 177 with the first u/s at roughly 10 weeks or so. So my mom determined it was a little girl which is fine that jives with the theory. At my gender u/s at 17 weeks hb was only 142 (so in theory a boy) but she is indeed a girl. So I say take it with a grain of salt.

ShanunC replied to michelleloehr's response:
I went with it with DD.. she had a constant heart beat of 160-170s from my early US at 7 weeks all the way through delivery.. even when she got stuck in the Birthcanal her rate didnt go up or down.. she just stayed chilled in that range.. It held true for us.. but I just use it to make fun predictions.. hopefully we will know at the Big US in 8 weeks
Shanun/26 DH 29/ DD 24 months/ EDD 2/13/11

araspberrytart responded:
When I was pregnant the first time, our baby had a heartbeat around the 160s, and it turned out we had a girl. This time, the heartbeat is around the 140s, and the u/s showed it is a boy. I know that two samples don't make for a proven/definite experiment, but I just thought I would pass it along :).

jckajmaf responded:
I don't find this to be to accurate. With my first pregnancy on the first u/s my sons heart rate was 174, with my second pregnancy on the first u/s my daughters heartrate was 148. I'm currently on my third pregnancy and the first ultrasound the baby's heart rate was 182 and the last ultrasound i had done last week the heart rate had dropped to 170. I'm only 14 weeks but I do not want to know the sex of the baby this time around..

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been married for 3 years, my husband and I have one child DS 21 months, we had a miscarriage in April and a miscarriage in June. We will always...More

Helpful Tips

Juice out hunger
Because I can't eat all the suggested fruits and vegetables daily I juice them. That takes the hunger away and I eat a meal about 8pm. It ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful