Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Buspar and pregnancy?
An_217630 posted:
I just recently started buspar and have gotten conflicting views on whether or not to continue now that I am pregnant. My PCP tells me it is fine (it is a category , but my OB says she isn't sure because she has never used it in her patients. I just don't know what to do. I had a previous miscarriage and don't want to go through that again, but my anxiety is so hard to deal with I don't know if it would be worse to come off. Anyone had any experience being on buspar while pregnant?

ShanunC responded:
I have not taken that particular drug but I am bipolar and suffer from severe anxiety as well.. I take Klonopin and Temazapam for my Anxiety.. HOWEVER being preggers I go off all meds for at least the first trimester.. I made it till the last month with DD before I needed any meds..
I dunno about where you get your meds but where I get mine I am required to see a therapist which 99% of the time seriously annoys me as Im a stay at home mom and never have a sitter so its annoying to go to appts.. but while preggers she is my saviour.. I get LOTS of good tips on how to help my mental well being while Off meds..
My OB understands my needs for meds and if it was absolutley nec for me during the first tri we would monitor really closely..
my personal feeling is do your best to stay off any psych/anxiety meds as long as you can.. Im not suggesting you hurt your mental well being.. you have to do what is right for you.. but there are ways to manage anxiety and other mental illnesses without meds while preggers...
as I said before you ultimately have to do what is right for you and if its being on meds Im sure you OB will just monitor you very closely.. as for the misscarriage.. the thing with these meds is there is no real evidence supporting that it causes any types of problem.. but there is also no real evidence saying it wont.. I try hard for the first trimester but if i need the meds I need em..
Sorry if I wasnt much help.. kinda blabbering..lol.. hope you can find a good place... keep us posted
Shanun/26 DH 29/ DD 24 months/ EDD 2/13/11

joellelewis responded:
I take Fluvoxamine and Abilify for my bipolar and severe anxiety. They are listed as class C, meaning that they haven't been shown to be safe or unstable. As long as your Psychiatrist keeps you on the lowest safest dose you should be ok. Good luck!

krazykatt707 replied to joellelewis's response:
I am on Buspar as well and my OB and my family doc say its safe for pregnancy.
Rachel(26),DH(27),DS(3),EDD(2-6-11)

Amberles99 responded:
I am 6 weeks pregnant and recently was prescribed Buspar from my doctor, he started me on 7.5mg for anxiety. He said since its class B rating it's perfectly safe for our baby. I was still a little paranoid about starting it and called my OBGYN, she confirmed that it is perfectly safe to take, then when I picked up the prescription I triple checked with the pharmacist, which also confirmed it was perfectly fine to take while pregnant. I am going to remain on a very low dose, till I reach my second tri. Best of luck.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Crystal. DH's name is Michael. We live in Cabin Creek, West Virginia. Finally pregnant with our first after 3 years of trying. PINK TEA...More

Helpful Tips

Pregnancy and flying
Can anyone help me out?! I'm 29 weeks pregnant and its not a high risk pregnancy, i was wondering if anyone here has ever flew while ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.