Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Digital dental x-rays within first week of conception
An_217655 posted:
Hi everyone!

I recently found out my husband and I are pregnant! My LMP was June 14 and I had one panoramic digital x-ray taken at the dentist office on June 6. Due to the minimal radiation hazard with the digital machine, many dentist offices (including mine) do not use the lead cape. I was not asked if I was pregnant (didn't know at this time anyway as I conceived outside of my "normal" ovulation window). Now, upon much online researching, I see that first trimester radiation is quite harmful and I am concerned about the genetic makeup of my fetus due to the potential harm of the digital x-rays.

In addition, I am supposed to travel three times in the next month (once overseas) - any recommendations for this based on the increase in radiation risk at high altitude flying? I am especially concerned because of the digital x-rays (scatter radiation).

Thank you so very much for any response you may be able to provide! Sometimes I "over research" these things and I am particularly paranoid considering this is my first pregnancy.

Thanks again!

abbygailsmom1 responded:
First off congrats! I wouldn't worry too much since the digital x-ray was taken prior to the start of your LMP. You weren't pregnant at the time and didn't even have a fertilized egg to worry about. You will be fine.

I would however speak to your OB about all the traveling that you are doing over the next month especially the over seas trip.
Me (30) DH (28) DD1 (5) DD2 (2) Baby 3 EDD 1/25/11

LPHuskers replied to abbygailsmom1's response:
Thank you so very much! I will certainly discuss all the travel plans with my OB. I appreciate your help.

I was only concerned about the x-rays because they were taken on July 6th and I likely conceived on either July 2nd or July 5th. I plan to discuss this with my OB as well, but have not yet had the first appointment.

Thanks again - I REALLY appreciate all your help! What a great forum this is... I'm sure I'll be using it even more in the future!

haydnzmom replied to LPHuskers's response:
i wouldnt worry to much about the panoramic xray. i am a dental assistant, and we use those daily,the sun is supposed to have more radiation then the xray. im 7w 3 days, and i too worry. but you should be ok. best of luck!

LPHuskers replied to haydnzmom's response:
Thank you so much - and congrats on your pregnancy as well! I really appreciate the response. I've heard that the digital x-rays have much less radiation (especially the "scatter" radiation), but was worried because it was so close to my conception date.

Thanks again - and good luck with your pregnancy!!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm Rachel! I'm an army wife. My husband and I are expecting our first child around August 29th, 2012! :)

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
166 of 216 found this helpful