Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Marijuana and pregnancy
An_217720 posted:
I have looked and have found nothing on smoking or eating marijuana while pregnant. I quit smoking the day I found out I was pregnant but just wanted to know more about it.

aubreysmama0921 responded:
i smoked before i got pregnant to and smoked until i was 3mounths and didnt even no that i was pregnant but thank god shes perfectley healthy....but its good that you quite.just remember the docters always say no drug is safe

MSettle78 responded:
yeah its Defintly not good you have to think what you inhale goes right to your baby. All the smoke and eveything. dont do it !

Babygr123 replied to MSettle78's response:
Lurking from 2nd tri...

What you get your baby gets. Is it worth it to expose your baby to that? Now is a good time to quit all together. Do you want your child exposed to that? Another thing to think about is some OB offices do random drug screenings if they suspect drug use. My OB office is one of them. I think it is a great idea. If Momma isnt gonna look out for the baby someone has to. You are pregnant it is time to grow up!
Amanda(24) DH(27) DD1(2) DD2(6 months) 3rd babe on the way! EDD 2/23/11 Yellow Team

yogijan responded:
I found this link for you, it's mildly scientific and a lengthy read but goes into extreme detail on many clinical and anecdotal studies. Keep in mind that it is hard to have any conclusive information about the effects of illegal drugs on pregnancy because of a few factors, Some of those being concurrent use of other substances, and the tendency for test subjects to lie about consumption amounts in general, much like studies on alcohol use in pregnancy the inconsistency of study results leads to the advise of complete avoidance. It is always wise to stop using all drugs not prescribed by a doctor when you are pregnant and discuss prior use with your doctor. If you are still concerned about effects of marijuana, please talk to your doc. But none the less, I hope this helps.

http://www.mothering.com/pregnancy-birth/use-of-marijuana-during-pregnancy
me(31)df(26)ds(6)dd(10) new LO edd 3-18-11 yellow team

An_217721 replied to yogijan's response:
Thank everyone. For sure I stopped as soon as I found out because its always better to safe than sorry. I was just curious because I found no research on the subject. I was a little worried.

tmrrmr4ever responded:
Okay, everyone on here is probably going to be against it. But there is no scientific evidence that it 100% does anything to the baby while you're pregnant. Every single mom I know smoked with every single one of their pregnancies and their babies are all 100% fine. A LOT of moms have told me to do it to help with morning sickness to try and keep some food down, but it does nothing to the baby. And to be honest I smoked it to get pregnant. My husband and I have been together 5 years and I started smoking it one month, the next we got pregnant. I haven't smoked it since I found out, but it is safe.

ShanunC replied to tmrrmr4ever's response:
Lurking frmo 2nd tri

tmrrmt4ever..
the thing with the scientific evidence thing is that while they dont know if it does effect the baby there is no evidence supporting that it doesnt..
I take medication for bipolar disorder.. there is really no evidence supporting whether it will harm the baby or not..
EVERYTHING you put into your body goes to the baby.. its a PROVEN fact.. however if it effects the baby or not is the debate...
I smoke 5-6 cigarettes a day while pregnant.. and if that can cause premature delivery and low birthweight then you cant deny that smoking another substance may not have the same effect..
Im not against people smoking when there pregnant.. your life is yours to do with what you choose.. however do not tell people things are safe when there is clearly no evidence proving it either way
Shanun/26 DH 29/ DD 24 months/ EDD 2/13/11

Babygr123 replied to ShanunC's response:
Lurking from 2nd tri...
Her life might be hers to do with what she wants but what about the baby. That baby is depending on his mom to keep him safe. Right now she is the only one that can do that! Seriously if you are ready to be a mom than you need GROW UP!!!!! I dont know why on earth you would put your "need" for an ILLEGAL drug before the health of your unborn child. As far as smoking it to get pregnant. REALLY?!?!?!? It wasnt the Marijuana it was Ovulationa and spem meeting the egg. I'm sorry but give me a break!

- It is one thing if you have to take a medication to stay healthy during pregnancy. Another thing to smoke weed simply for the high or to "cure morning sickness." Try crackers like the rest of us.
Amanda(24) DH(27) DD1(2) DD2(6 months) 3rd babe on the way! EDD 2/23/11 Yellow Team

ShanunC replied to Babygr123's response:
I agree with Amanda on this.. I didnt really say that cuz I guess I dont have the balls and I didnt wanna say dont smoke pot when Im clearly doing something unhealthy for my baby by smoking butts.. I didnt want to sound hypocritical.. but I guess at the chance of sounding that way I agree with Amanda on this..

And thank you for making the distinction between taking meds to stay healthy.. its really hard for me to go back on meds while preggers.. I didnt want to do it.. but I cant take care of DD and be so depressed I cant get off the couch.. I think thats just not right.. so Im gonna take the meds in hopes of feeling better and being a better mom..

I guess I didnt read the part about smoking pot for MS.. and even if the crackers and everything else you try doesnt work like it didnt work for me.. you just learn to deal.. ALLLLLL JOYS of being motherhood..
They say its the hardest job out there.. they say it for a reason
Shanun/26 DH 29/ DD 24 months/ EDD 2/13/11

Babygr123 replied to ShanunC's response:
Shanun- I knew I liked you :-) Thanks for backing me up. This is something that I feel very strongly about. I normally dont like to cause problems around here but some times I have to say something.

mamathoma responded:
I have known a few people that have smoked pot while prego and their babies are fine. I dont judge them, its their choice. I have also known people who have smoked cigs while prego, I dont judge them either. Some of their babies are fine, some have health issues. I dont think it matters so much that pot is illigal, it has never been closer to being legalized. Cigs have been proven to kill people and they are legal. Every pregnancy/mama/baby is different and can be effected differently. Anyway, I wouldnt worry about it, esp if you've quit early on. GL

Shena1981 replied to mamathoma's response:
I hated even taking my pills for gestational hypertension. I can't imagine doing drugs or smoking cigarettes.

I 100% judge on this. Grow up and start being a parent. IT's about sacrifice and making sure that you give your child the best life possible. Why would you jeopardize that in any way? I can't even stand the, "my friend did it and their kid was fine"

Are you going to smoke around your child when they're born? If so perhaps you should reassess your decision to be a parent, because you aren't putting them first.

BTW these pot posts appear every few months. It's more than likely someone just starting trouble, but for those that think that it's ok and should be encouraged, I encourage you to start thinking of what kind of parent you're going to be

Babygr123 replied to Shena1981's response:
I'm in SHOCK at the # of people that are willing support the use of an ILLEGAL drug (yes I will say it again becuase it is still illegal and for good reason) during pregnancy or any other time for that matter. Your friend did it so it must be okay. NO, YOUR FRIEND WAS AN IDIOT! Your baby comes first now and for the rest of your life. Get used to it!

Thank you Shena!

yogijan responded:
theoretically speaking, in one of the states in this country where medical marijuana is legal, such as California, A pregnant woman suffering from anorexia due to extreme morning sickness or lack of appetite that would cause her or the fetus harm if not alleviated, could be prescribed marijuana for medical reasons.

just food for thought.
me(31)df(26)ds(6)dd(10) new LO edd 3-18-11 yellow team

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am happily married to my best friend and soulmate. We married July 10, 2004. I am 38 and he is 41 and so far no children.

Helpful Tips

Juice out hunger
Because I can't eat all the suggested fruits and vegetables daily I juice them. That takes the hunger away and I eat a meal about 8pm. It ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.