Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Tanning while pregnant?
kelseycathleen posted:
I am currently 4 weeks pregnant and work at my local tanning salon. Is it okay to tan?

An_217799 responded:
I've always heard that as long as you keep your body temperature regulated you are ok to tan, but of course I would ask your physician.

JKirk19 responded:
Lurking from 3rd Tri...

I was an avid tanning bed goer. I use to go everyday. When i got pregnant, that was the first thing i asked my OB. He said tanning was not safe. It raises your body temperature to much. He did not say it was absolutely needed to be avoided, but he did say it was not safe for the baby....

Help41 responded:
Ok to tan, just monitor how hot you get- I recommend cutting your tanning time in half and always using fan! As you get bigger you won't want to tan in a booth- then switch to sunless tanning lotion.

mamatobe08 replied to Help41's response:
Tanning is one of those things that I ask myself--is it really worth the risk? Your baby might be fine, might not. Are you willing to risk that so that you can have tan skin? I'm not.

I was also told not to do sunless tanners when I was pregnant with DS, because they haven't been around long enough to study the chemicals and their long lasting effects.

jckajmaf responded:
I have a tanning bed in my home and I used to go every other day for 15 mins before I got pregnant. I now go maybe once a week for like 5 to 7 mins to help with my dry skin. As soon as I start feeling warm I get out and go drink a big glass of water.

mendezwife responded:
NO way.!! You can't regulate your body's temp, so if your hot, your baby is too. Having tan skin isn't worth it, for the sake of your child. (thanks to what the other poster said too)
You can still be "pretty" wout tanned skin, use sunless tanners instead. Do your hair & makeup & dress nice & you will still feel pretty. wout hurting your baby.
And what about your skin?? I'm a beauty rep for Lancome Cosmetics & we know 1st hand how damaging the sun & tanning beds are for your skin. Plus being over-tanned is just out! No one wants to walk around too tan, having pretty, wrinkle free & sun spot free skin is much more attractive. Healthy is in!
Too much sun & tanning beds ages you faster than anything else! You will look older than you are! Plus it doesn't help "dry skin" like another poster said. Lotion helps dry skin!

So no to tanning beds while prego, use at least a 15-20 sunblock during summer & take good care of your skin. Most women have that glow while prego & you look amazing! Most of all beautiful. Don't risk your baby's health so you can be tan! That's so 2006! LOL! Good luck & best wishes!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi kelseycathleen,

I found this info on tanning and other "beauty" regimens during pregnancy which may be helpful.

Also, please check with your doctor if you have any questions your pregnancy.

Hope this is helpful,
Elizabeth

Spotlight: Member Stories

Cassy (27) DH (30) DD 7/19/08. m/c 3/4/10...and now expecting #2 12/07/10. I loved the newborn boards after I had my daughter, and the TTC boards we...More

Helpful Tips

Pregnancy and flying
Can anyone help me out?! I'm 29 weeks pregnant and its not a high risk pregnancy, i was wondering if anyone here has ever flew while ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.