Skip to content

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Painting during pregnancy
1WaterLily posted:
We just bought a beautiful old house, and we'll be moving in about a week. However, like most old houses, it needs a coat of paint (and a lot of TLC). I'm a little hesitant to do the painting because I'm pregnant - just about done the first trimester - and I wondered what your experiences have been. My mother, sister and many friends are very strongly opposed to me painting anything - other than maybe my nails - and have warned me about birth defects etc. This seems a little over the top to me. I figure as long as I use a water-based latex paint in a well ventilated space and don't overdo it, I should be fine. I'm not going to get in touch with my midwives today because of it being the weekend, but I've honestly not heard any logical, fact-based argument against me painting with water-based latex paint in a well ventilated space. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't? Thx.

mom2sjandl responded:
I've painted during all of my pregnancies... we moved into a new house with my second one, and the other two I decorated the nurseries. Have had no problems with it. I think I would be concerned, though, with it being an old house and the possiblity of lead-based paint having been used and the possibility of that flaking and lead poisoning? Not to scare you, but that would just be my concern.
Me (28) DH (29) DS1 (9) DS2 (5) DS3 (1) EDD 4 9/3/11

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi 1WaterLily,

Here is a link for a discussion Dr. Atlas answered on our Pregnancy Community to help you with your question -

Painting

Best wishes on your move and most importantly your pregnancy!
Elizabeth

Spotlight: Member Stories

Married my HS sweetheart in 2000 after 7 years of dating. We have 1 son born in 2006 after 3 m/c.

Helpful Tips

Pregnancy and flying
Can anyone help me out?! I'm 29 weeks pregnant and its not a high risk pregnancy, i was wondering if anyone here has ever flew while ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.