Skip to content

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

First Appointment
An_218073 posted:
I am 5 weeks pregnant and was just wondering how far along you should be for your first appointment? I called to make my appointment and they won't see me until 3/17 which would make me 9 weeks. After reading some of the other posts, some moms-to-be are seeing the doctor earlier to have blood work and other tests done. Should I try to push my appointment to an earlier date?

mommyin2011 responded:
Lurking.,,,

I didnt have my first appt till i was 10 wks. They did an u/s to measure the baby (my profile pic is my baby at 10 wks).

I heard it is normal for doctor to wait this long. Sometimes the baby is too small to see when your that early on.

Good luck!!
Me (28) DH (26) 2 fur babies (both 1) - 1st baby EDD: 7/31/11 - BLUE TEAM!!

amberlopeman responded:
I am also 5 weeks, and they're scheduling my first appointment 3-15. Which puts me a little before 9 weeks. . Good luck

NeldaScott responded:
most GYN-OB's dont see their patients til they are 9 or 10 weeks along because there really is nothing to do before then. If you want to go ahead and get your blood work done, I personally made an appointment with my family practitioner to confirm pregnancy and get the blood work done. You dont have to go to the OB for that. then your primary doctor will send over the results to your OB doctor and you done with that portion already when you get there. i'm almost 8 weeks and i still haven't been to my OB its normal. Congradulations on your baby and hope you a great pregnancy!

noelle1225 responded:
I'm 5w 5d today:) and though I've had labs drawn twice (only to ease my mind after a mc last july) I'm not making an actual apt yet. I'm gonna go back at 8w just to make sure my labs are still looking good like they were last week(fingers crossed) then I'll make an apt for a week or two after that. There isn't much to be done until then:) Oh, and congrats!

Ihgirl1066 replied to noelle1225's response:
My office you see the nurse at 8 weeks for bld work and history, first appt with ob at 12 weeks

An_218074 responded:
I went in to my Primary once I got a positive HPT just to confirm pregnancy and they gave me some reading materials. My next apt wasn't until 9 weeks where they just let me listen to the heartbeat and then did blood work. My first OB apt isn't actually until 12 weeks with an U/S.

I think this is pretty common so unless you have something to worry about it's perfectly normal to wait that long.

Best of luck and congrats!

LIZellie responded:
I am seeing the primary care doctor at 4 weeks. It took 2 days to get through to the admin to schedule and she said to me "well, what do you want to do." and I said "i dont know, what am i supposed to do?!?!?" And she laughed. So don't stress, they will see you when they can help and advise, (I hope!) Just eat right and all that and pee on a stick again if it makes you feel better.

Dailese1988 responded:
Hey you need to try to see a doctor as soon as possible so you can make sure your baby is healthy and get your medication

steckie98 replied to Dailese1988's response:
Dailese1988, seems to be a bit odd response... most women do not see the OB until at least 10 weeks. And what medication would she need? Prenatal vitamins are available at most retail/drug stores.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I will be celebrating my 55th birthday soon and my soon-to-be youngest daughter was born IN my heart, not under. That is to say we are adopting my gre...More

Helpful Tips

if i take birth control during my pregnancy will it hurt my baby?
have 2 miscarreds before so im worryed cus i just found out im 9weeks and ive been takeing birth control and would hurt the baby and the ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.