Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

xray?
5ylver posted:
When I was pregnant with DD#1 I had a possible broken toe and had an xray in my first trimester, they covered my belly with that protective gear and told me it will be fine.

Last night I was coming downstairs and walked farther to the right than I thought I was and was also walking quickly so I crushed my toes into the couch and one immediately swelled. (same toe I had the xray on last pregnancy) This morning It was still swollen, hurting and very bruised, it hurt to walk on it so I had to call into work and go to urgent care. I let them know I am pregnant and she referred me to a radiologist. When I went to the radiologist I waited about an hour or so before being called back. When I got back they asked if I may be pregnant and I said yes. They asked how far along and I told them I was not sure as my appointment isn't until next monday but I'm certainly in the first trimester. She then walked out and came in with another fellow who told me they will not do an xray on me because I am pregnant and in the first trimester. I don't understand, It's my foot, not my stomach or even chest area. I told him they did before when I was in my first trimester and they covered my belly with that protective stuff. He told me yes they do that but the doctor does not want to be responsible for any damage that may occur to the baby. He also said if it were my leg they'd have no problem but since it's just my toe they will not do it. I realize you can't do much about a broken toe however I would like to know whether or not I should take the next few days off of work. I was a little agitated even though I know the doctor was looking out for the baby to me it just doesn't make sense why it was ok for the same xray on the same toe with my first pregnancy and now it's not? even after being referred by the doctor who knew very well that I am pregnant and in the first trimester. Sorry for the rant, I guess my question is what would you do? assume it's not broken/fractured and just stick it out? or would you contact another radiologist who will administer an xray to determine the diagnosis?

noelle1225 responded:
As an X-ray tech:) I have to say that it is kind of pointless to have your toe x-rayed while pregnant bc well lets face it... if it hurts bad enough you'd take a day or two off anyway and you would really just be doing it to ease the curiosity. Lead doesn't attenuate all of the radiation and while it would probably be safe, a single direct hit from a stray photons of scatter in the first few weeks could effectively end your pregnancy... It's always your right to refuse an xr, but in this case the doc was probably right to think the risk vs. benefit wasn't adding up.Yeah, they could do it, but you really don't want to risk it over a toe that you are just going to tape to its next door neighbor regardless:) Go with the doc on this... If it's too early for you to know how far in you are, it just isn't worth the risk. A leg would be different, but only because it would put you in a cast:) I'm glad it was just a toe:) feel better soon.

5ylver responded:
Thanks so much. I feel so bad for the doc earlier. I got extremely cranky when he told me they would not do it. I guess I'm just very curious if there is a slight fracture or broken bone since it's still the size of a grape lol but I guess I will never know. I hate being curious lol I know he was looking out for the baby and I should thank him for that but my crankiness got the best of me (and the pain) poor guy...

noelle1225 replied to 5ylver's response:
He's a dr.... I'm sure he's tangled with a pregnant lady or two:) The hormones get to us and we can't stop the stuff that comes out of our mouths!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Sherry, been married to Simon since 2/2007. He's a truck driver, I'm a stay at home mom. It took us over a year to have DD because I h...More

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
166 of 216 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.