Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

CVS Question
nan2010 posted:
Anyone have the CVS test done? I am considering getting this test done but scared due to the risk of miscarrage and worried about it hurting.

aly192527 responded:
We decided against having the test done because of the risk of miscarriage. We were also told that the test has a lot of false positives. We had a friend who had the test and it came back positive for Downs Syndrome. Turned out the test was wrong and the baby was perfectly healthy. We decided it wasn't worth the risk and the worry. Certainly a tough decision. Best wishes.

pooies responded:
We had it done yesterday. Since then I had a gush of pink liquid and some bleeding but no cramping or other signs of miscarriage. It was not at all painful and definitely will be worth knowing if the baby has any abnormalities so we can terminate and try again if we decide to. We thought about doing an amnio but honestly the idea of a long needle in my stomach would probably give me a heart attack.

BeautifullyBlessed replied to pooies's response:
I totally like what aly192527 posted. Those tests are not 100% accurate and they may cause people to have unnecessary abortions, thus having to later deal with the mental and emotional trauma associated with abortions. It's really unfortunate.

As she said, the couple's child was completely healthy. Even after hearing the baby would have down's, they decided to keep the baby...that is EXTREMELY commendable.

Thanks for the post aly192527 !
Me (31) DH (30) Hoping for 1st DS or DD by next year! God is good all the time and His mercy endures forever...be at peace!

adalexnaya replied to pooies's response:
the amnio isnt as bad as one would think... its doesnt hurst any more than a shot... but I was very petrified by the thought too... It gave the security of knowing my twins lungs would function on the outside world though...(this was back in '08) i have never had cvs done... the fact that its mostly wrong has led me away from doing it..

ladycolt29 responded:
I lost a babby in 95 the heart stopped. I had a D&C because my body didn't reject the baby. They did testing on remains and it came back he would have had downs. Test showed it was spontaneous. I had a son in March 97 I had the amnio done fall of 96 for him he was healthy. I just lost a baby Nov. 10 no reason why just woke up bleeding but stopped later at E.R. there was no heart beat. Went to my ob and still no heartbeat. He called it an incomplete miscarriage. And Now they have a medication you can use early on to complete it. I got pregnant again in Jan. we did genetic couseling. The risk averages out for cvs to amnio about the same because cvs is done earlvs amnio done later. I had the test April 8 and it went perfectly smoothe is was done through the vagina. If a few days later then they do it through your belly much like an amnio. Then on April 15th the test results came back. You can read on the over 35 and also preg loss forums. I expected it to be ok again since years ago the amnio results were fine. Well, my world was turned upside down! My son had downs! We went back to genetics. They use DNA tissue it is very accurate. I asked and hoped there was a chance for it to be wrong. My DH and I made the decision to terminate on April 22. I work with special needs and know all the problems the kids have and I know more than the average person the genetics people were surprised how much I knew. Today I had a checkup to make sure I was healing. Physically yes, emotionally NO! I cry all the time! I was told the test showed it was spontaneous again so I don't actually carry a gene to downs. The doctors told me today the remains showed all the physical traits my son had downs. I have another appointment to go back to genetics in June to talk about risk/options for our future. We are not sure if we want to try again or should depending on risks. I want to find out if there are ways to prevent it through medical intervention like IVF. I also got a packet in yesterday it had the test results because I also wanted to read it myself besides being told by a person I just recently met. They also gave me info on support groups dealing with this. The group meets next Wed. and I decided I want to go because I am not handeling this well. Pain killers for the cramps and anxiety pills only help like a band aide. I know I need to talk and get help! Understand the test is really not bad just take it easy afterward. It's the test results that come back you may not want and could turn your world upside down with one phone call. Discuss the what if's first! If you can't make the hard decision to terminate and would still go through with it if the baby is sick then don't bother with the test!

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Nan,

I'm wondering if you decided to have the CVS test and how things went. I know it's always such a tough decision to make and it just worries you to think about any risk at all.

If you have certain risk factors for having a baby with a birth defect or genetic disease, then your doctor might recommend a CVS . Does your doctor believe you have a high risk factor?

According to WebMD, "chorionic villus sampling (CVS) is not a routine test because it does carry a small risk of miscarriage. Out of 400 women who have CVS, from 1 to 4 of them will have a miscarriage. It is up to you to decide if the information you would get from the test is worth this risk."

I'm so glad the other ladies shared their experiences with you and hope, along with these resources, you're able to make your decision a little easier.

Let us know how things are going and if you have any other questions

~Andie
To a child's ear, 'mother' is magic in any language. ~Arlene Benedict

Spotlight: Member Stories

well found out on March 14th that im pregnant with baby number 2! Very happy to bring another light into the world. But im due November 18th!~ woohoo ...More

Helpful Tips

if i take birth control during my pregnancy will it hurt my baby?
have 2 miscarreds before so im worryed cus i just found out im 9weeks and ive been takeing birth control and would hurt the baby and the ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.