Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

scared to death
An_218236 posted:
Hi, I am almost 30 years old, I just found out that I am pregnant. I was told that I would NEVER have children because of having endometriosis and tons of scar tissue from surgeries. I have been on methadone since 2004( not prescribed) I was on crystal meth for 4 years before that and I watched my big brother( the obne that started me on it) die from it so I stopped it and his wife said that he had his meds left that the gave him to stop the meth. I was more than willing to try it at that point. I took it for over a year when I became pregnant. I stopped using it cold turkey and lost the baby. I was sooooo devistated and wanted to do meth again but the methadone was making it better. So I started it again. I just found out that I am pregnant now and am so scared that I will lose this baby either to DCF or if I stop taking the med. So I have No idea what to do. All I have ever wanted was to be a mother. I do not know what to do. I dont want to see a
doctor because of DCF. The Dr that did my last surgery last year already said that I am lucky I couldnt get pregnant because she would call DCF for my methadone use. She is HIGHLY against it. Please help me with some advice I am so scared that I am going to lose this baby to one of the two. I did try to wean down my dose and I started spotting so I got scared and left my dose alone. I have done so much research on it and got more scared than I was to begin with. I know I sound like a horrible mother right now by not quitting cold turkey but this may be my last chance to have a baby. Please give me some advice..

Take the Poll

What do I do now?
  • call a Dr.
  • wait
  • quit cold turkey
  • wean off
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

snh571 responded:
I would recomend to call the dr and check into a rehab. With this kind of drug use going off of it cold turkey is not recomended. If you reach out for help then you are demonstrating that you are responcible. If you reach out for help DCS usualy won't try and take the baby away. If you feel that your OB is genuanly not looking out for your best interest I would find a different dr.

candy352 responded:
I agree with PP. You should check into rehab. I know that methadone is addictive and could be hard to quit cold turkey. I think if something does happen, you should be completely off of the drug before trying to conceive again.
Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy. --Matthew 5:7

An_218237 replied to candy352's response:
The problem with "something happening" this time is that there will NOT be a next time I have been told by several Dr.s that I would not get pregnant again but if I did I would have to have a hysterectomy after. My insides are pretty messed up. I was in a VERY violent marriage when I got pregnant before and he did alot of damage. I was in constant pain every day. Eventually I couldnt handle it anymore and I have been away from him since 2008 However, the internal damage is still there to remind me of how long I put up with a husband addicted to crystal meth. I have talked with several dr.s online and they have said NOTHING about rehab. They wanted to keep the stress to a minimum and rehab would be the biggest stress. I do want to do the right thing however I have had several emails telling me how pathetic I am for even getting pregnant while on methadone. I thought that I explained that I have been told for years that I could not get pregnant again from the various damages and scar tissue. I HONESTLY didnt think I could have a baby. Now I am trying to do what I feel is right and besides these two responses I have only gotten horrible comments. I am not the typical drug addict. I am very well educated with a college degree career husband with a good job and a home. I am not as one of the emails stated "a statistic" and a "crack whore" I have no problem quitting cold turkey I have done it before I was just concerned about my child. I just wanted to know if it was safer to quit all together, wean off or stay on them til the baby is born and then quit cold turkey. I am a very strong woman I am not a teenage kid. I was just looking for a little advice.. Also, Thanks snh571 and candy352.

missashley1010 responded:
Lurking from 2nd tri.

I know someone who is very near and dear to me that also was on meth when they found out they were pregnant. She went to rehab and was surrounded by people that would support her thats what rehab is suppose to do not make you feel stressed. It was hard for her but it was for the best and her child is a very good kid. I would say do whats best for you she didnt have problems conceiving like you have but I think finding a doctor that can be a support system is the way to go. Best of luck to you!

ajohnson08099 replied to missashley1010's response:
I commend you for wanting to do this for your unborn child. I'm not sure really the effects of methadone, but I would seriously advice you to speak to a dr personally. Internet doctors can't see you or your history... They are just educatedly guessing (I would assume) Could you go to a planned parenthood near you? At least then it's not like thats your regular Dr.

I seriously don't think staying on the methadone will benefit your child, I think it will harm. Though, quitting cold turkey, since I would assume it may cause withdrawel symptoms probably isn't a Awesome idea either, I think the stress of just quitting altogether will cause you to lose the baby.

I would suggest rehab as well, they are trained to deal with these situations and how to help in the healthiest, most stress free way possible... If not attending one, I would see if you could call and see your options anyways, they can't hurt you if you are just gathering information.

Either way, no matter what happens.. I would suggest you get off the methadone anyways. If Meth isn't good for you, I can't imagine its subsitute is doing your body many favors. I am so sorry you were in an abusive relationship, I commend you for being strong enough to get away from that.

Please update us with what you decide!!

BeautifullyBlessed responded:
Hello,

Just wanted to wish you the best! Praying for your healing, deliverance, restoration and peace.
Me (31) DH (30) Hoping for 1st DS or DD by next year! God is good all the time and His mercy endures forever...be at peace!

ajohnson08099 replied to BeautifullyBlessed's response:
Any news?

An_218238 replied to ajohnson08099's response:
well I called and made a Dr apt.. I tried to ask the nurse what I should do since they said they cant see me until August, She said that she could not discuss that with me on the phone. I told her that Aug. is a long way off and she said that I woulod still be pregnant then too. I am just aggrevated with the run around Ive gotten with all these Dr.s I called the clinic and they laughed at me.. they said that the small amount that Im on dialy isnt worth the time to call the Dr in. I feel that it IS very important. She said that they have women on 130 mg a day. Obviously Im not going to take that amount. I cut back from 60mg a day to 10mg. I did try to just stop all together and on the 4th morning I woke up at about 3am and was cramping and bleeding. I did go to the ER and they said the baby was stressed but alright. I started back with my 10mg that day. I would rather rish going to jail that risk killing my baby. This is so important to me I just want to do whats right..

aprilewillis replied to An_218238's response:
My very best friend was on methadone controlled by her ob her entire pregnancy with her daughter. The only complication she had was low birth weight. She was an oxycontin addict when she found out she was pregnant, told her OB and her OB immediately started managing her habit with methadone. She had to deal with more appts than the normal pregnant woman and more blood work and u/s to check baby, but it all worked out fine. The baby was checked right after she was born for withdrawal symptoms, which they can have, but her daughter did not. She went home with her 2 days after she delivered. Her daughter is now a beautiful, smart almost 5 year old little girl. And my dear friend is still on methadone and probably will be her entire life. But if it keeps her off drugs then im all for it. She even breastfed her daughter while she was taking the methadone. As long as it is monitored doses by your ob it can be a benifit. I would call your OB office back and explain to them once again that you are on methadone and that you need to be seen right away so that your doses can be adjusted by your ob right away.

candymorgan replied to aprilewillis's response:
Let me 1st start off by saying screw all the negative responses by other members. You do not need the additional stress and no one is perfect....at least you are reaching out for help. I am no doctor by any means and do not know all the effects of meth but do agree that any drug while pregnant cannot be too good for your baby. Reading your posts I was going to recommend seeing a real doctor in person but it seems like they are giving you the run around so I would find one that can take you seriously. Maybe ask for the name of aprilweillis's best friends doctor since she can relate to your situation. Whatever you do I wish you and your baby the best. I will def keep checking in.

pittbullmamma replied to candymorgan's response:
Thank you so much. After reading a few of the posts I wasnt going to read or post anything else however, I have found that it makes me feel a little better to know that other ppl have delt with this. I am just so scared to death that one way or the other my child will be taken from me. I know I am still early in my pregnancy but I re4ally truely love this baby with all my heart. I would aloready do anything to make sure this baby is healthy.. ie. I could have easily just stopped the med. and gotten sick for a couple of weeks and not risked going to jail. But that put my unborn baby at an even greater risk. I appreciate very much that you seem to really care. Thank you.

pittbullmamma replied to aprilewillis's response:
Thank you very much I do have a question though. What state is your friend from? If it is Florida where in Florida? I have tried all day AGAIN to get a dr or clinic to talk to me but the ones that dont treat me like an ax murderer just laugh me off. I am NOT laughing.. I worry so much I literally make myself sick. I am not sleeping at night because I cant turn it off in my head that I will probably lose this baby too only this time I will lose him/her to the state. I appreciate your help very much.. I have no way to thank you more than that but I thank you so much.

candy352 replied to pittbullmamma's response:
I know of someone here in Florida where her methadone treatments are monitored, but I can't recall the name. I could get back to you tomorrow. But if you are close to the Ocala area, they may be able to help monitor your methadone treatment.
Candice 26, DH Dennis 36, FIRST TIME MOMMY!!!! EDD 1/6/12

candy352 replied to candy352's response:
It's called the Quad County Treatment Center.
Candice 26, DH Dennis 36, FIRST TIME MOMMY!!!! EDD 1/6/12

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Kalee, 28, married to Jim, 33, and we are expecting our 2nd baby in October! We have 1 daughter, Gaby, who just turned 1 on February 12. We we...More

Helpful Tips

Juice out hunger
Because I can't eat all the suggested fruits and vegetables daily I juice them. That takes the hunger away and I eat a meal about 8pm. It ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.