Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Kitty litter??
kfadak posted:
Hi everyone! I was just wondering, can you change the cat litter if you wear gloves? I've researched this and I found out that some say its okay if you wear gloves and wash your hands, and others say you should'nt even breathe in the litter because you can get toxoplasmosis (not sure of the spelling). I've changed the litter with every pregnancy. My cat is like 10 and I don't think shes ever been outside. I think my Dr. tested me for it because they asked me if I had a cat? Do they normally check you at your OB?

mhbabygirl responded:
i was told not to change it at all. my husband changes our cat's litter. maybe if you use a mask like painters wear? what did the doctor say?

kfadak replied to mhbabygirl's response:
Thats what I'm thinking, I go to the Dr on Tuesday, so I'll see. As for the husband ha yea right he works so much the litter would not be changed for a month!

Lysana responded:
They prefer that you don't, but if you have to, you can. Just make sure it's changed quickly, do wear gloves, and it doesn't hurt to wear a mask, either. But if your cat is a 100% indoor cat, and you don't get (LOL) vermin in the house - basically, as long as it's not killing an eating any small animals - it should be fine.

Also, if you've already been exposed to toxoplasmosis, I think you have an antibody against it and you won't get it again. That may be why your doctor asked - he may have found that you already have the antibody. OR, he may just ask every pregnant mama that.
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (March 2011)

kfadak replied to Lysana's response:
Ha, your so right! As for the vermins my cat would'nt know what to do with it! I think she would run! Lol. That's why I 'm worried because I know I 'm not immune! Thanks!

Lysana replied to kfadak's response:
I know, I'm not, either. I was pretty amazed to find out I wasn't, because I've been around cats my whole life! Just goes to show, though, you never know.
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (March 2011)

kd0erj responded:
Lurking from second tri...

My OB told me that toxoplasmosis isn't really common in the U.S., and same thing, you get it once, you don't get it again. I was supposed to get a test for it, and think doctor and I both forgot. Thanks for reminding me!

She did tell me she would rather I didn't clean the box, but if I had to, to wear gloves and wash my hands in water as hot as I could stand it after. But that makes little sense, because kitty walks through the litter, and then walks all over the house, so I could just as easily touch something else the cat walked on and get it. Not to mention, you can get it from meat not cooked thoroughly, soft cheeses, etc...

kelleyfadak replied to kd0erj's response:
Yes! That's whats worries me! I'm not immune! I know my friend's nephew was born to an infected mother and I'm just gonna say he's blind to say the least, but she got it from food source prob. undercooked meat. That's why I'm so worried!

kd0erj replied to kelleyfadak's response:
Well, there is really very little you can do about it if you get it from undercooked meat, except to try and make sure your steak is well done. Talk to your doctor, and do some research online. I am alot less worried since I've done research then I was before. And stress harms baby too, so try not to worry. Everything will happen exactly the way it was meant to happen. :)

kelleyfadak replied to kd0erj's response:
My family won't let me research online because that's what really gets me worried! All the things that can or could of happened. It drives me crazy! Lol!

Lysana replied to kelleyfadak's response:
LOL! I know, I tend to get pretty worried when I research online, too...and I get really into it, waste a lot of time doing it - although I do learn a lot, so maybe it's not *entirely* wasted time. Although...cough...my manager might not agree with that. Haha. :sheepish:

I think your odds of getting it from your kitty are less than your odds of getting it from undercooked meat at a restaurant, but still - three healthy pregnancies, and I've never gotten it, so it must be avoidable. :) It's hard when you personally know (or almost know) someone it's happened to, though.

As for the kitties walking around, since, okay, this is going to get gross, since the toxoplasmosis, um, whatevertheyares, live IN the feces, I don't think it's going to stay on the cats' feet too long - it'll come off as they're walking, hopefully LONG before they get to you, ugh. Just, you know, watch out around Christmas time if your cat's been eating tinsel or something. %D

kfadak replied to Lysana's response:
Your so funny!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have been married for 5 years. I just found out that I am pregnant! Have not even been to the doctor yet, but I think I should be due...More

Helpful Tips

6 Embarrassing Pregnancy Symptoms
Experts offer tips for coping with everything from excess gas to forgetfulness. To help you know what you can really expect when you're ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 80 found this helpful