Skip to content

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

First Ultrasound
erin_addy posted:
I had my first ultrasound last week and I just have some questions. My first baby, my dads only wish as a first-time Papa was for me not to find out what I was having so I didn't so with this one I decided that I am going to! Im too excited not to! But....my radiologist said that he thinks he sees something.....as in maybe a boy! But I was only 11 weeks and I did some research and alot of sites say that 11 weeks is too early. Should I believe him or not get my hopes set on a boy? Is it possible to see that early? What do you all think?

LiLL1979 responded:
Unfortunately, I think it is too early for the ultrasound tech to tell you with 100% certainty that it's a boy. Generally, it's at the 16-19 week ultrasound that they can get a good idea of the baby's sex. Of course, even then there is no guarantee that you'll find out. Sometimes the way the baby is positioned, they can't tell you for sure. But more often than not, you can find out during that later ultrasound.

Lysana responded:
I have known some people to find out between 12 and 13 weeks, and have the result be accurate (two specific cases, and one was a boy and one was a girl - so it didn't matter which gender). I do believe that the external genitals are visible starting at about 11 weeks, but I would think at that point that you would have to have both a VERY high-resolution ultrasound machine and a VERY experienced radiologist, who knew exactly what they were looking for. If he "thought he saw something," I would be hesitant to take that as evidence that it's a boy. He would have to be looking very closely and trying pretty hard to tell at that point, I think.

In fact, that was the case with my two friends who found out during their NT scans (which are done at high resolution, because they are looking for specific markers for conditions). Their radiologists knew what evidence to look for with a boy or a girl, and found it. But even in a boy, at that point, I don't think there's something actually sticking out, that you'd just happen to see by chance.

So, I guess I would take it with a grain of salt, and really consider your odds of having a boy vs a girl as pretty much the same as they were before the ultrasound.

It's so exciting to find out, and so nice to be able to call the baby by name during pregnancy. My husband wouldn't even consider waiting to find out, anymore...I could probably be talked into it, but no way he could. He wants to know who the baby is ASAP. I think there is a lot of fun and excitement either way. I'll be interested to hear which you prefer (finding out sooner rather than later) after you've done it both ways!
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (March 2011)

erin_addy replied to Lysana's response:
He showed us what he was looking at and there was definately something standing up so that is what makes me wonder. If he would have just told us he thought so, I probably would have been a bit more sceptical. But, nontheless, im still going to wait for the 18-20 week ultrasound for reasurance before I really start voicing it and getting excited. We want a boy so I think its us just hoping he was correct. Just the same, girl or boy, I will be happy with either.

And....it was torture for me not knowing until the big day! I'll never do it again, but it made my dad happy so I was happy. He got himself his first little girl grandbaby as aa surprise and I was ecstatic because shes what I wanted! Thank you for your info Lysana! I think I'll wait a few weeks before I get too excited!

Lysana replied to erin_addy's response:
Well, that is exciting! I'll be really curious to hear whether he was right!

Haha! I think it would be torture for me, too. I think, if given the opportunity, I would break down and have them tell me. So neat that it became such a special experience for your family, though! I would LOVE to wait, but I just don't think I could do it.
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (March 2011)

halfmilebrave responded:
Hi Erin,

I had a level 2 ultrasound done at 12 weeks and they said it was a boy 99.9%. We went on to have another level 2 ultrasound at 18.5 weeks and they said boy 100%.

So, they may be correct in what they saw. We are 22.5 weeks now and vey excited for our little boy!

Hope that helps and good luck!!!

Lysana replied to halfmilebrave's response:
Ahh...three people. Diana, I'd forgotten your u/s was that early. I knew it was on the early side, but for some reason I was thinking around 14 weeks.

halfmilebrave replied to Lysana's response:
Kelly -- Well, I think they did one then too. I have had a lot of ultrasounds so far.. My doc. is keeping a close eye on me because I had complications in a previous pregnancy. This pregnancy seems to be going well, just really different from my girls! lol

Ruby00 responded:
My friend found out that early, the tech said they thought it was a boy and it was! Depends on positions and if the tech knows what to look for!

AAgradillas responded:
Well, I don't want to get your hopes up a ton and then the tech be wrong, but I did find out with my 2 yr old DS at 11 weeks So, it's very possible! They said they were "pretty sure" and then confirmed at 20 weeks

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Rainie and my husband's name is Tommy. Tommy and I have been together since December 2005, we finally got married in February 2010. WOT...More

Helpful Tips

Pregnancy and flying
Can anyone help me out?! I'm 29 weeks pregnant and its not a high risk pregnancy, i was wondering if anyone here has ever flew while ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.