Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

17 and pregnant...
jgrove711 posted:
I feel that it is really hard to be pregnant at the age of 17 because everyone looks at you like it's the worst possible thing in the world. I feel that all babies are miracles. Just because I am so young doesn't mean I look at that any different. I think that what I have inside me, is a miracle. But honestly it's hard going about your day when it feels like your whole family hates you. I came across this site and decided to join so I could talk with others who are pregnant also. There is a lot of useful and helpful information on this site also. Anyways no matter what my family thinks I am excited to be a new mom sometime in April. It will be hard at times, but in the end I think it will be worth it, and I feel that this is not a mistake it is a blessing and a miracle.

Cpruitt5js responded:
I had my first son at 16 a month before turning 17 my family wasn't the happiest with me either at first but it will get better I promise its hard for family to see younger people having kids cause they know how hard its going to be on you, but as long as your happy and going to be a good mom I think thats all that matters...Keep your head up and eventually your family will lighten up..it might even take til you have the baby and they see him/her but it will get better...if you ever need to talk I will listen and help with what I can.

ReneeErin responded:
I've seen several of my former students go through the same thing. Most of them came through just fine and their families came around. I'm glad you have such a good attitude about your pregnancy and hope you can get some family support. I'm sure once the shock wears off, people will start getting excited. I'm due in April too
Erin (29) Michael(30) DD: Lily (born Sept 2010) Baby 2 due April 4th or so

jgrove711 responded:
Thank you both. It will be easier being pregnant with the school situation though since you said you had students. So I assume you are a teacher. But it will be easier with school because I am cyber schooled

klynshoe responded:
Lurking from 3rd tri...

I don't think anyone disagrees that a baby is a true miracle. I think your family/friends are just concerned about yours and the baby's future and want the best for you both.

Trying to understand the reasons for their concerns may help you to take it less personally. Try to imagine your own baby turning 17 and having their own baby. Think about what concerns you might have and the additional responsibilities that might create for your family. Historically women have had children very early, but then again they were also much more independent of their parents by then and already married to someone that could provide and support for the child. Its not been until recent times that women are leaving the house later, getting married later, and having children at a later age. Really its not about age at all - its about your own life circumstances and whether they are conducive for raising a healthy and happy baby.

Luckily today there are many programs/resources out there to help you if you are not in a situation that will allow you to provide for your child financially. There are many government and charity organizations that provide financial assistance if you are unable to provide for your child (think health insurance, food, child support, etc). Additionally, there are many resources out there that provide free/cheap services that you can take advantage (consignment sales, hospital consultants, community support groups, etc).

Show your family and friends that you believe this is a good path for your life and impress them with your ability to be a responsible parent by researching and getting involved in as many programs as possible. Taking responsibility and a proactive approach to this will go a long way to helping others understand and respect your desire to have a child at such a young age. You are already doing a good job by getting involved in this forum and maintaining a positive attitude!

mommyroach31061 responded:
was like you and got pregnant at 17 was 18 when she was born and that was also 14 years ago...it was the best thing that ever happened...as i dont know what i would be doing now if i didn't have her...she is the one that gave me hope and she is the one that i got up everday for and went to college and got not one but two degrees...she still inspires me today to be the best i can be...and now after 14 years i am going to make her a sibling..and she couldn't be happier...no not everyone was happy that i was a pregnant teen but it all worked out in the wash as the old people say...i would never trade getting pregnant at a young age for anything... she is why i am who i am today.. a wonderful college grad with a good paying job to spoil her!! Good Luck and congrats..I know you are head over heels, and yes your baby is a blessing!

arinnicole responded:
Hey there!

Let me start out by saying that it makes me so incredibly proud to hear someone in your situation with your perspective on your situation. Instead of looking for an easy out and punishing your unborn baby for your actions, you are acting like a true grown-up! Every child is a gift from God, and to deny that baby its right to life is just about the most selfish thing I could imagine. I can tell that you are very mature for your age, just by the way you assess the situation. I really wish there were a lot more people like you in the world. Congratulations on the little miracle, and God bless you both.

missashley1010 responded:
Lurking from 3rd tri.
I know what you mean even though im 21 my parents still look at me like your so young and this and that. Good for you on being positive now all you have to do is prove to them that you will be responsible and handle your situation. thats what I did i got some help with medical and saved my money I just moved into a lovly 2 bedroom townhouse. It can be done! Now that im 34 weeks and the end is closing im about to meet my little guy my whole family has changed views because iv gotten myself together and lets face it who cant love a baby Good luck to you.

koi78 responded:
Sweetie, I have a friend that had her daughter at 14 and it was hard for her too. Just because your young doesn't mean that you can't and won't be a good mom. I had my first child 3 weeks after my 21st birthday and I was not only kicked out of my mom's house, but when I moved to be near my dad he wanted nothing to do with me so I did it on my own and now my baby is an 11 year old young man and i thank God everyday that I gave birth to him. When my dad died he told me that he was so sory for the way that he treated his grandson and that he understood if I hated him. I let go of the anger and hostility. And I think that the reason your parents are so mad is because they feel like you are throwing your life away. My friend C who gave birth when she was 14 went to school, worked and stilll raised her daughter by herself and she still does and when she was 18 she graduated from high School, so it can be done. I wish you love and I will be hoping things work out for you sweet heart because no one deserves the silent treatment.

TayRose responded:
Hey, I just want to say hang in there. I'm 18 and also pregnant, and let me tell you, things will get easier with your family. You have to look at it from their point of view, I mean, would you want your son or daughter to have a baby at 17? You'll see how your parents see once you have this little miracle. And I agree, when I first told my parents about me being pregnant, even though I'm an adult, they were still disappointed because they didn't want that for me...and I'm sure your parents feel the same. Its not that they never want you to have a baby, It's that they wanted you to have a baby when you were financially stable, and when you were out of school and graduated from college. All parents want that for their child. Try talking to your parents, try and get them to understand. And you shouldn't look at it as "no matter what my family thinks" because you should care what your family thinks, at least take their thoughts into consideration. Being pregnant is exciting in its own way, but I'm starting to understand that it's not going to be as simple as I once thought. Keep yourself healthy, and do everything your suppose to do as an expected mother. Show your family that even though you are young, you can accept the challenges and face them head on...but also let them know that you need their help, because you will. I wish the best of luck for you and your little miracle. Im due in March Hope to hear back from you and let me know how things end up.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All! I am 27 year old from PA. Married for a 2 years and we had our first child a boy on 5/24/11. We also have two knuckle head dogs that are li...More

Helpful Tips

6 Embarrassing Pregnancy Symptoms
Experts offer tips for coping with everything from excess gas to forgetfulness. To help you know what you can really expect when you're ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 80 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.