Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

HCG did not double...does this mean I misscarried?
An_239398 posted:
[TRIGGER] This past Saturday (8/27/11) I started what I thought was my period, a week before I was expecting it. I have been charting for 5 months and this cycle seemed off to me. I decided to take a HPT just because. I was not expecting it to be positive....but it was! I emailed my Dr. and she ordered HCG and progesterone tests for me. I went to the ER on Sunday (8/28/11). (I also took another HPT and it was positive again) My HCG was 35 and they said my progesterone was low. My Dr. wanted me to come back today (8/30/11) for my 48 hour lab follow up. I haven't had any confirmation from my Dr but when I called to get results the nurse told me my HCG was still 35. I dont know if my progesterone went up or not. I have to wait until tomorrow probably to hear the results, but in the meantime...I'm making myself sick with worry! I have thrown up 2x today. I have had sharp stabbing pains on my right side as well as in the middle of my abdomen. Any thoughts? I have read so many things online and I'm more confused than ever!

mlk240 responded:
If your hcg doesn't double every 48 hours, but still rises, it could be a first sign of an ectopic pregnancy. If you are having any sharp pains, I would call your doctor right away to get checked out. When I had my ectopic that ruptured, my only indication until it ruptured was that my hormone levels weren't rising normally. I was at work when it ruptured, and all of a sudden, I had severe abdominal pain, and I had trouble breathing, and was really light-headed. I had to call my husband to come pick me up from work because I couldn't drive like that. I laid at home for a couple of hours, ran and puked in the bathroom for about 20 minutes, and then called the doctor's office. They sent me to the ER right away. At the ER, I passed out when I went to pee in the bathroom. When I went in for an ultrasound, they saw nothing in my uterus and knew. It all happened very quickly, so I really urge you to better be safe than sorry and call your doctor. By the time I was taken into surgery, I had liters of blood in my abdomen, and had to have blood transfusions so I didn't bleed to death. I don't want to scare you, but if this makes you call the doctor, then maybe you won't have to go through the surgery and everything that I did. Not an easy recovery. Good luck, I will be thinking about you, and please let us know how it turns out.

cjschulz replied to mlk240's response:
Thank you for your advice! I have been freaking myself out b/c I have been reading so much and ectopic pregnancy always comes up...this scares me! I have a call in to my Dr. and I also wrote her an email. It's the waiting that I can't handle!!
Did you bleed at all or was it just that your hcg didn't go up? I bled Saturday until Monday, it got lighter every day.
The stabbing pains that I have don't last for very long. I read that it might be something with the ligaments or the uterus stretching???
I will let you know what I find out. Hopefully she calls me today!

mlk240 replied to cjschulz's response:
I did have some light pink spotting, but only really when I wiped after using the bathroom. And I didn't really have any pains or any other symptoms beside the slow rising hormones to indicate a problem. Once the pain started, it didn't let up, so if it comes and goes, that is different than what I experienced with ectopic. Good luck to you!

I heard from my doctor and I did miscarry and she said more than likely due to a blighted ovum. I have never heard of this before but was told that a blighted ovum is the cause for about 50% of miscarriages. I'm releaved to know that it wasn't anything more serious but now dealing with all the emotions is overwhelming.
My husband has 2 children from a previous marriage and had a vasectomy before we met. After we were engaged, he had a vasectomy reversal. Long story short, the first surgery didn't work and we had to repeat it and then we found out that I wasn't ovulating and have been on metformin. I was to start clomid this next cycle. It's been a long, hard road for us so we were so excited to even know that everything was working.

Please accept my deepest sympathy. My story has a lot of similarites to yours. I too take metformin, and I had 3 losses so far before this one. If you need someone to talk to, please feel free to email me at randikramer@hotmail.com . I firmly believe that if you can get pregnant, keep trying because one is bound to stick, and honestly, it has been looking forward that helped me to deal with my 3 losses.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to cjschulz's response:
My condolences on your loss, Cjschulz. I just wanted to add my support to Randi's.

You may want to visit the member-created Coping with Pregnancy Loss for additional support.

I hope you're back with us again soon,

Byroney

chrissybear24 responded:
I read your post and I had to write you. I completely feel your struggle on having a baby, I have been with my husband for 8 yrs married for almost 5 yrs. Before we got married I found out I have PCOS. We tried for about 5 yrs to have a baby. I tried everything Clomid, Metformin. The doctor told us we would only have a baby if we had vitro, which we can not afford that. I pretty much gave up on my dream of having a baby, I decided to forcus on myself. I dropped about 50 lbs excerised daily. And I eat a lot of healthy foods. I just found out 2 wks ago I am two months pregnant. I am still in shock even after going to my 1st prenatal appt this past Monday. She said everything is going great. But I can not shake the shock. I believe in miracles! And I will pray for you that you get your little miracle. Best wishes )

MLK240,
Thank you very much! I took a vacation to the east coast to visit my best friend last week and so that helped with the healing process!
I am just waiting for my next cycle now! I dont know what is worse...the 2 week wait or waiting for the next cycle after a misscarriage!
How far long were you when you had your miscarriages? I'm so sorry for your losses as well. How long have you been on metformin? Will you try clomid?

cjschulz replied to chrissybear24's response:
Chrissybear24
Thank you for writing. And congratulations!! I have a close friend who also has PCOS and has tried EVERYTHING except IVF b/c they could not afford it. It's great to hear stories like yours to give people like myself and my friend some hope!!

For my first miscarriage, I was 7 weeks, for my ruptured tubal, I was between 7-9 weeks as the doctor's best guess, and for the second miscarriage, I was probably around 4-5 weeks. I have been on metformin since November 2010, and have gotten pregnant 3 times since I was on it. I have only lost 20 lbs since I started it, but I am still a plus-size girl .

We were actually to the point of trying clomid before my last miscarriage but got a positive home test, and lost the baby in early June 2011. We were supposed to wait a cycle before starting the clomid again, but I took another test before starting it just to make sure, and it also came back positive. I think the threat of clomid works wonders for me! I didn't really want to use the clomid, but after I lost my right tube, I sort of felt like my risk of multiples was reduced, even though the doctor said it wasn't. In my mind it made sense.

Since we caught this pregnancy so early, we were able to start progesterone suppositories, and I really think that has been a huge help in sustaining this pregnancy. And you are right, the waiting is the hardest part, but they say that after a loss, you are more fertile, and that certainly proved true for me in this pregnancy. I wish luck in trying to conceive, and hope we find you back here again really soon!

Randi

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im 26 and a mom of 1 beautiful little girl who will be 3 in february.. Im married to my best friend (DH29) and have been for the past 4 years. We l...More

Helpful Tips

if i take birth control during my pregnancy will it hurt my baby?
have 2 miscarreds before so im worryed cus i just found out im 9weeks and ive been takeing birth control and would hurt the baby and the ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.