Skip to content

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

need info
An_240536 posted:
this is my first pregnancy i went to the clinic after i took a home pt and they estimated i was 2 to 3 weeks pregnant so now i am 4 weeks along i hve my first doctors apointment on the 25th to do paperwork and blood work i was wondering if at that time i will find out exactally hhow far along i am or if that will be at the apointment after that when i hhave my pelvic?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

brokenlove responded:
they will asked you when your last period was and go by that until your first ultrasound
Me(23) DS(Izaiah 3) Based of first U/S EDD(5/11/12). Green team

chichvin replied to brokenlove's response:
alright well they already did that when i went to the clinic how far are you before your first ultrasound??

bbcntpa replied to chichvin's response:
when they do an u/s will depend in part on your particular medical history and your doctor's office. if all is well with you and there's no concern of a high risk pregnancy, most doctor's will do an u/s at your very first ob appointment, which is generally somewhere between 8-12 weeks. you will have another u/s around 20 weeks to check that the anatomy of the baby is developing properly and to determine the sex, if you want to know. you might have another u/s in between these 2, depending on whether you decide to have optional screening tests done to check for any increased risks of abnormalities.
Me (34), DH (38), DS(3), EDD 5/3/12 (but c-section end of April)

chichvin replied to bbcntpa's response:
alright thank you. i also have another question, this week would of been the week i would start and well it happened yesterday. what are the risks of wearing tampons while on my period being pregnant? i can not stand to wear pads at all i think it is nasty, and i always have a heavy flow. thanks

Let me preface this by saying I have never experienced bleeding while pregnant, so I may be off base here.....but you should not be having a period if you are pregnant. You might experience something called spotting...where you have just a little bit of blood....and it should not be a lot of blood and it should not be bright red like when you have a period. In fact, it may even be brown. If you are experiencing a normal heavy flow, then I would question whether you are actually pregnant. Did the clinic do any kind of blood or urine testing to confirm you are pregnant? Or did they just use your last menstrual period date to estimate a due date? Although it might not be impossible (not sure), I would think it's very unlikely that a standard home pregnancy test would be able to accurately tell that you are pregnant at only 2 weeks along. First Response pregnancy tests claim to be the ones that can give you an accurate result the earliest, and that's not until 6 days prior to your missed period. It is possible to get false positives on home pregnancy tests if you don't follow the directions just right. Did you take multiple at home tests and they all came back positive? I'm just questioning b/c of how early into the pregnancy you were able to get a positive at home test and b/c you shouldn't be having a "normal" heavy period if you're pregnant. You might want to consider contacting the clinic again prior to your doctor's appointment, just to ask them about your period. They're probably better equiped to give you an answer than me or most people online.

chichvin replied to bbcntpa's response:
well they did a pregnancy test, i also did two tests at home that was the plus neg ones and then 2 of the other ones from clearblue that say pregnant or not pregnant, my mom said she had her period for the first few months of her pregnancy with my and my twin sister and my oldest brother. i just didnt know if it was safe to use a tampon being pregnant or not.

MrsHoro replied to chichvin's response:
Most OBs say no to tampons during pregnancy. Use a pad even if you don't like it. You also need you be informed about the flow and color just in case something is wrong. I read at my OB the some women might have a period like bleeding the first month.

Please talk to your doctor about it they will know what is best concerning your history.
DH, Roxxy(furbaby, 4), Abby(furbaby, almost 2), EDD 5/15/12

Ok. Wow, I never knew that could happen. So you and your mom both have/had a period just like normal....same heaviness, same length, not any lighter at all? I guess that's how some women end up 5 months pregnant before they even know it! I always just assumed (based on conversations with other people) that if there was any bleeding at all, it was much lighter and different than the regular period. Sounds like it's a family related thing. Regardless, I agree with MrsHoro about discussing it with your doctor and only wearing pads.

hgreenwood7058 replied to chichvin's response:
DON'T USE TAMPONS IN PREGNANCY! It can cause infection. If you are bleeding that much and you are pregnant you need to let your doctor know. Light bleeding can happen during pregnancy for some in the first trimester but heavy bleeding isn't.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD based on U/S 4/21/12-Green team. Hope this LO will stick

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
I agree with the No Tampons. Please talk to your doctor.

Also, to make it perfectly clear--you cannot have a true period during pregnancy without it being a miscarriage. Your uterine lining, which is discharged during a period, is where a baby implants. No lining, no pregnancy.

You may have bleeding during a pregnancy that mimics a period. To make it more confusing, we don't have a name for "bleeding that isn't your period" bleeding, so it may be called a "period," even if it's not really one. Typically as Heather and others have said, the bleeding is much lighter.

Always talk to your doctor about any bleeding during pregnancy.

For more trivia, pregnancy tests are so sensitive now, they may show up positive at as little as 9-10 days pregnant (but that's unusual). It's crazy when you think that our grandmothers and great grandmothers often had to wait until they started showing at the start of the 2nd Trimester to confirm a pregnancy!

Byroney

jpvmami2 replied to chichvin's response:
Maybe it's an early symptom that you are having twins as well!!

chichvin replied to jpvmami2's response:
alright thank you all i am using pads instead of tampons. im not bleeding as heavy as i normally did before i found out i was pregnant. it really wouldnt shock me if i was having twins im a twin and so is my dad so i right up there on the luck of having twins. i will make sure i let my dr know when igo in on the 25th will they do a ultra sound finding that out to make sure everything is fine?? instead of just blood work

Give your doctor's office a call and ask them what all to expect on the first visit and whether or not there will be an ultrasound. Different doctor's do it differently. With this pregnancy, my first visit was a little over 3 hours long and they let me know in advance that it would take that long. They did the ultrasound (transvaginally since it was so early...8w4d), they did a pap smear, I met with the doctor for questions, I filled out lots of paperwork, I met with a nurse for questions, I gave 2 urine samples (should have just been 1 though), and they did bloodwork. Some doctor's offices may not have ultrasound machines and techs in-house and might have to arrange for you to have it done at a different time and place. Same for labwork. Just give them a call and they should have no problem letting you know what to expect for your first visit with their office.

jpvmami2 replied to chichvin's response:
I guess it depends on your doctor and maybe insurance, I've been reading alot of the other mami's stories and it seems every one gets them @ different times...me for example, I wasn't even late when I did a home pregnancy test and it came out possitive, I just had a feeling. the next day I went to the Dr and the urine & blood came out positive 4 days before my period was due..so they scheduled another blood test 2 days later to see if my hormone count was multiplying and it was, so the nurse said next we would do an ultrasound, so I have one scheduled on the 31st...as for you, Im pretty sure that if you express enough concern about you bleeding, they would probably do an ultrasound once your 6 weeks because I don't think they can see anything until then so they wouldn't wanna scare you...that's what they told me..but it sounds like your moving right along ..are you having any symptoms?

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello. My name is Teresa and I am 27 years old. I am married and have a wonderful 5 y/o son with my husband. This april will be 9 years we have been m...More

Helpful Tips

Pregnancy and flying
Can anyone help me out?! I'm 29 weeks pregnant and its not a high risk pregnancy, i was wondering if anyone here has ever flew while ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.