Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Hi!
momof1andahalf posted:
About me, I'm 28, have a 19 month old daughter, EDD is June 25. My husband and I have been married for 4 years. With our first, we were planning to get pregnant, and it happened the first month we tried. this time we weren't trying, just using the "rhythm method" and obvisouly it didn't work for bc! I'm struggling with this, honestly because although I'm thrilled about being a mommy again, I'm not prepared. I wanted our daughter to be a little older, plus I'm not going to have been at my job for 12 months before this new baby comes, meaning I'm not eligible for FMLA . Really worried about losing my job. I'm afraid to tell my boss but at some point she might notice I'm getting lazy, our plan is to wait until 12 weeks at least, which is also when we're going to tell our families. Anybody else have any advice for the fmla thing?

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Hello. Congrats. You can take a leave of absence for medical reasons without them firing you. I work at a medical center and a coworker of mine got hired onto the medical center and like a month later found out she was pregnant and thats what she had to do since she did not have paid time off accumulated at the time. They cannot fire you for being pregnant. I waited for a while before telling my boss as well. I have worked at the medical center since 6/2/2008 but recently transferred to a different position (was told i go the new job at the end of july, beginning of august and was to start the new position 8/28. I found out I was pregnant 8/13). Great timing yes. We were trying though. So while happy I was also nervous to tell my boss. I didn't tell him till the monday that I left to go to training out of the state. Which was at the end of sept. Partly because I had a m/c in feb so I have been nervous this whole thing. Thankfully because I transferred I still have all my pto and extended illness time. They were fine with it because i was upfront about it when I was ready. best wishes, all will work out. hugs
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD based on U/S 4/21/12-Green team. Hope this LO will stick

stefms21 responded:
I think most places would be pretty gutsy to fire a pregnant lady without a good reason. My company has under 50 employees, which makes them exempt from the FMLA laws. When I had my first child, I had to just use whatever PTO time I had earned and had to go back to work (part-time, dragging out my PTO) after just 13 days. My first pregnancy went wonderful though so I was able to work up to the day before I went into labor with no issues (besides being a crabby overdue employee, lol) Does your boss have children? I'm sure she will understand and be able to work something out with you. Especially if you put in some effort to talk about it ahead of time.
Stef (27), DB (30), DD (1) EDD Green team

bbcntpa responded:
I just started a new job week before last and my position has no benefits (no insurance, no retirement, no paid leave of any sort....thank goodness for my husband's job!) and I'm not eligible for FMLA. This is the first time I've held a position with no benefits so, like you, I'm going to have to learn how to work this. My boss is female and was fine with me being pregnant when I told her (on only my 2nd day on the job). But she did say something about how we would try to apply for FMLA anyway just to try to hold my position open while I'm gone. Not 100% sure what that meant, but it gave me the impression that b/c of the type of position I have it might be beyond her control to keep the position active if it goes unpaid/unperformed for a certain period of time. I haven't really stressed about it though b/c I'm not 100% certain that I want to go back to that job after the baby is born. God will work it out the way it needs to be, I guess. If you find out anything else, let us know. And congratulations on your newest little blessing!
Me (34), DH (38), DS(3), EDD 5/3/12 (but c-section end of April)

momof1andahalf replied to bbcntpa's response:
Thanks for your replies. I should rephrase that I'm not as worried about being fired because I am pregnant, or even before I have the baby. My boss tells me frequently how good I am at my job, and she loves babies. But I'm the only one who does my specific job at my location and I'm not sure that even if I were my boss I'd be able to keep my position open for 8 weeks (which is how much time I want to take) I also do have a ST disability plan that I used when I had my daughter which does pay 60% of my income while I'm off for 4 weeks (6 weeks total but the first two isn't included for whatever reason). I think I'm going to talk about it with her next week. After the results of my referral appnt with my PCP, she said she thought I could be 8 weeks along instead of 4 weeks. Well thanks again to everyone for their inputs. I agree with the PP, whatever happens will happen, and God or karma or whatever will make sure things happen the way they need to.
Amy

hgreenwood7058 replied to momof1andahalf's response:
Our medical center that I work for will allow 6 weeks (unless you have more pto in which you can use that for the additional). But like i said previously that even though you may not qualify for FMLA you could still get a leave of absence (I want to say it can be up to 12 weeks or do a short term disability type thing paper workwise). You would fill out the paperwork and then your provider would sign and put in any necessary documentation saying yes you need to time off. Its good that you have the disability plan so atleast you can still have income coming in. I mention the leave of absence because back in 2007. I wasn't pregnant but becamse pretty ill. I missed an entire month of work (had doctors notes and eventually a leave of absence). This makes it so that they cannot give your job away in this time because its basically held for you. They may choose to hire a temporary employee to do your job. But they can't give it away if you have those papers in place. And its not necessarily your boss but the upper people and that type of thing.Its great that your boss loves babies. Everything will work out in the end.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD based on U/S 4/21/12-Green team. Hope this LO will stick

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 28 years old and married the love of my life September of 2010. I was officially diagnosed a few months ago with a prolactin secreting pituitary ...More

Helpful Tips

if i take birth control during my pregnancy will it hurt my baby?
have 2 miscarreds before so im worryed cus i just found out im 9weeks and ive been takeing birth control and would hurt the baby and the ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.