Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

I don't want to eat
MrsHoro posted:
Is anyone having the same problem?
I'm not nauseated, sick or hungry. I just don't want to eat. It worse in the morning when I know I should eat.
Could it be that I have GD?
DH, Roxxy(furbaby, 4), Abby(furbaby, almost 2), EDD 5/15/12

loyal1982 responded:
Lurking from 3rd Tri....

I was so sick for the first 5 months but I do remember a period where I just didn't have any desire to eat. The Dr. told me just to bring healthy snacks to work and take a few bites here and there. Nibbling is just fine. Its a misconception that you need tons on food right away. The baby will get what it needs no matter what.

britt200408 responded:
Some days I feel like I barely eat, but I do eat when I'm hungry and that's what matters. In your first trimester you only need about 100 extra calories per day (slightly more or less depending on your pre-pregnancy fitness). This is basically a small snack: an extra glass of fat free milk, a cup of yogurt, a piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter, etc. It is not much more at all. As long as you eat when you're hungry and you aren't losing a lot of weight, you are fine. As always, if you have any serious concerns you can consult your doctor or a dietitian.

I have about 15 months left before I complete a Bachelor's degree in nutrition, so that's why I know all these little fun facts.
Brittanie (23), DH Josh (24), DS Jacob (almost 3 already!) and baby, due June 8, 2012

MrsHoro replied to britt200408's response:
I'm not trying to "eat for two". I don't need to gain weight. Its just been hard to eat. This baby wants fruit, water, and cheese. I tend to have aversions to everything else (rice being biggest and the hardest because we eat a lot of rice due to my DH's special diet).

I will be meeting with a nurse dietitian to teach me how to control the GD.

Congragdulations on the soon to have Bachelor's degree.
DH, Roxxy(furbaby, 4), Abby(furbaby, almost 2), EDD 5/15/12

bbcntpa replied to MrsHoro's response:
MrsHoro, I got this in an email from babycenter today:

Why do I have food aversions?Nobody really knows why some pregnant women cringe at the sight of meat or heave at the smell of coffee, although there are some theories. Many women experience a heightened sense of smell while pregnant, which may account for some food aversions. Some scents — like garlic, for instance — can be too potent to seem palatable. Because progesterone slows down the digestive tract, which may lead to constipation and indigestion, pregnant women may also instinctively stay away from meats and gassy veggies like broccoli that can be hard to digest, says Dr. Gil Gross, an associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Washington University in St. Louis.

That thing about garlic certainly applies to me. As well as pasta. Spaghetti, garlic bread, pesto, lasagna......they are all a HUGE turn off to me. Can't even stand the thought of them now. And vegetables (with the exception of salad and green beans) also don't appeal right now. Even things that I do like and don't have a total aversion to, I just can't seem to eat very much of it......except ice cream.....I've only caved to it 3 times, but I could have inhaled it all 3 times and gone back for seconds!!!
Me (34), DH (38), DS(3), EDD 5/3/12 (but c-section end of April)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hiya! I'm a mommy of a beautiful 4 year old daughter named Sophia Noel and I have my second on the way. I have been a single mother for most of my...More

Helpful Tips

if i take birth control during my pregnancy will it hurt my baby?
have 2 miscarreds before so im worryed cus i just found out im 9weeks and ive been takeing birth control and would hurt the baby and the ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.