Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

How to tell the news??
Cowgirls19 posted:
I was wondering how everyone would be telling the news to family and friends? I want to wait until after my appointment tomorrow morning to tell our families, just to make sure everything is OK. I just don't know HOW to. I don't want to put it on facebook yet, I want to wait for that 12-week mark at least. We have a 2.5 year old daughter, so I was thinking have it involve her somehow?

Any ideas?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

tlkittycat1968 responded:
How 'bout getting your daughter a shirt that says "I'm gonna be a big sister" ?

angmeyers responded:
My daughter turned 3 last week. Everyone was at our house for her party Sunday. We wrote Happy Birthday Big Sister on her cake!

Cowgirls19 replied to angmeyers's response:
angmeyers, that's so cute! tlkittycat, I thought about doing something like that, we just don't have any big get togethers coming up any time soon. But I guess I don't necessarily need a big get together to do that...

bbcntpa responded:
Cowgirls19, I just replied to a similar post from a couple of months ago so that it would bring it back near the top of the list for you to see. Some people had some really cute ideas. The post is titled "Plans to annouce".
Me (34), DH (38), DS(3), EDD 5/3/12 (but c-section end of April)

MrsHoro responded:
I will be 14weeks a few days before Thanksgiving so we decided we are going to wait the 2 weeks all tell family when we call. This is the first blood grandchild on both sides.

For my family I'm going to send "Happy Thanksgiving Grandma/Aunt" cards and a "Happy Birthday Grandpa" to my dad because I'm due on his birthday.

For my MIL we are going to Skype and show her my "Knitting project" (US pic) (we are both crafters).

For my BIL My husband plans to call him up say "Your going to be an Uncle" and hang up (he plans to do this for some of our very close friends too).

I'm not planning to announce on FB until after I know the gender (20weeks ).

The "I'm the big sister"/"Oldest" is cute. I read one lady was going to have a picture of her kid wearing an "Oldest" shirt and have a shirt made to fit her that says "youngest" across her tummy.
DH, Roxxy(furbaby, 4), Abby(furbaby, almost 2), EDD 5/15/12

Cowgirls19 replied to MrsHoro's response:
I like your card ideas, MrsHoro! bbcntpa also told me about someone who carved a pumpkin with "Big Sister" and took a picture of it with their daughter and sent her family the picture for Halloween. Since we are only telling family and close friends at this point, I think I might do something like that.

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I am not for sure how to tell people either and I am 14w2d. I told my Inlaws and my mom by asking them if they wanted to look at my pictures on my camera (about 20 pictures in or so was the 1st u/s pic) and they flipped through them. My mom completely went past it because she wasn't sure if it was from my previous pregnancy (I never got a picture from my previous preg because i never made it to my 1st appt). And MIL was like "who's this"? as she was looking at the photo talking to DH and he said "hmm well that would be your grandchild". She started bawling. I told one of my good friends just by showing her the pic on the camera (I didn't tell her I was pregnant nor did I tell her where I was going that day because normally she comes up and watches our weekly shows). She was excited because based on that u/s I was due 4/21 the day before her bday. They decided to go with my lmp though which is 4/17 (and peanut caught up on my 2nd u/s a month later to show edd of 4/16). I think it would be neat to include your daughter. The pumpkin idea with your daughter in it would be cute but also note that if you don't want them to share that info to make it very clear because otehrwise you may get people who you are not ready to know that find out. I plan to possibly spill the beans on FB at the end of next week when I will be about 15.5 weeks. But haven't fully decided. We have no other children (other than the one we m/c in feb who is not with us anymore). I like the card idea as well. You could do a combo. Where you take the pic with the carved pumpkin and your daughter and slip it in some halloween cards or something to that extent.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Green team. Hope this LO will stick

tlkittycat1968 replied to Cowgirls19's response:
You don'th have to have a big get-together. Trust me, word will get around.

In my family, if we want everyone to know something, we know we can tell one cousin and everyone will know. We also know not to tell her if we don't want everyone to know.

Anon_3148 responded:
we are going to tell our family shortly after Halloween, if not the day after (my first ob appointment is on the 1st) I am gonna give the grandparents a couple of pics of DD in her costume and the last picture will be of her next to a carved pumpkin that says "big sister" I can't wait to get their reactions!

To tell the rest of the family, I am gonna send our Xmas cards with a picture of the three of us that reads something like:

Xmas cards: $12.99
Family photos: $14.99
Realizing there are 4 in the picture: Priceless

Anon_3148 replied to Anon_3148's response:
Pumpkin carved....now to get a great picture!!

snobuni23 responded:
I made a little video to announce it (using Britney Spear's songs) - I start off to Baby One More Time and point to my stomach when she says "oh baby baby" then lifted up my shirt and had glittery letters on my tummy saying "coming in 2012". I showed my 5-year-old son saying "I'm going to be a big brother" and then I lip-synced "Oops I did it again" and ended on me smiling.
It was so fun to do, and I can't wait to show people. I only showed my sister so far and she loved it. I'm 11 weeks 2 days now and will probably show people in the next week or two.

When I had my son, I was in the Army and away from all my family/ friends. I mailed an announcement to everyone and sent pregnant pix when I was about 5 months along.

There are some great ideas on here! I love the pumpkin and "Realizing there are 4 in the photo: priceless" - that almost made me cry reading that!

BekahS responded:
I have family pictures scheduled next month for our Christmas card and I was hoping I would get pg this month (score!) so we could put our daughter in a "Big Sis" shirt and have her wear it in the photos. Then they will be made into our Christmas card that we mail out to all friends and family. Since I'll be around 12 weeks come Christmas I think it's good timing. We can't tell our daughter yet though because she will tell the whole world. Haha

blessingNdisguise responded:
I totally got seriously yelled at when my parent's and family found out about my first, and this time it's gonna be worse. I'm contemplating not telling them and letting them find out on their own. Just let 'em guess. Not very smart, yeah, but I don't wanna get yelled at again.

ajohnson08099 replied to blessingNdisguise's response:
why would you get yelled at?

Spotlight: Member Stories

This is our first baby, due 6/11/11!

Helpful Tips

Pregnancy and flying
Can anyone help me out?! I'm 29 weeks pregnant and its not a high risk pregnancy, i was wondering if anyone here has ever flew while ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.