Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

URGENT QUERY-
LOVEMOTHER1 posted:
HI,
AM 5 weeks 5 days pregnant and a working woman, my doctor has advised me to take rest for 14 days as in the ultrasound the foetal pole could not be seen as in there no heartbeat.Is there somethiing serious as normally people are not advised to rest so early..can anybody tell me the reason or guide me..

mrshoro responded:
I don't know much. I'm not a doctor.
5w is often too soon to hear a heartbeat. They didn't look for mine at my 5w3d OB.
For what I just read its common not to see the fetal pole until 6weeks.
"5 ? to 6 ? weeks is usually a very good time to detect either a fetal poleor even a fetal heart beat by vaginal ultrasound"

"...identified at 6.5 weeks with abdominal ultrasound imaging, and 6 weeks with vaginal ultrasound"

"The fetal pole becomes visible in a transvaginal ultrasound somewhere between 5 to 6 weeks of gestational age, but any small error in dating the pregnancy can throw that off because the early pregnancy development varies so much from one day to the next."

Listen to your doctor. I think your doctor wants to make sure that your LO gets a good hold. If your job is stressful physically or high passed it might be harder for your baby to get good and attached.

Remember your baby is really tiny right now. http://3dpregnancy.parentsconnect.com/calendar/5-weeks-pregnant.html

Take care and rest. Enjoy knowing that you are doing whats right for the baby.
DH, Roxxy(furbaby, 4), Abby(furbaby, almost 2), EDD 5/15/12

sumis replied to mrshoro's response:
I have my first prenatal appt on nov 8 when I will be 5 weeks and 5 days .I am also worried as during my last pregnancy I had ealry nasuea and all classic symptoms of pregnancy early .now I don't have any such symptoms except some cramping and shortness of breadth .

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have been married for 5 years. I just found out that I am pregnant! Have not even been to the doctor yet, but I think I should be due...More

Helpful Tips

6 Embarrassing Pregnancy Symptoms
Experts offer tips for coping with everything from excess gas to forgetfulness. To help you know what you can really expect when you're ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 80 found this helpful