Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Ultrasound just showed yolk sac
CarlyA1201 posted:
Hello to all. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Anyway, so I am pregnant w/my second child I think. =(
My last period was October 6th and I took a pregnancy test on Nov 12th and all 5 came out positive..(i know 5 is a lot..lol) Anyway so I went to my OBGYN yesterday and had a pap done and she did an ultrasound. First she did an ultrasound over my stomach to see if she could see anything and nothing. She then did a trans vaginal ultrasound and she couldn't see anything, but a yolk sac. She said she thought she saw something pulsating, but couldn't get a good scan. She said it could be because I am earlier then what I think. I initially thought I was 7W3D, but Idk. She said I could have ovulated later I suppose. My periods are always weird. They are usually 35-39 days apart. I am worried that something is wrong now. I just had a miscarriage in August so it worries me even more. She had me take a blood test for the HCG levels and they were at 38,004, but I have to go back on Thursday to take another blood test and get to get another ultrasound on Monday. This is just an awful feeling not knowing if something is wrong. I am hoping a praying everything is ok and that I am just earlier, but I was hoping to get some input and to see if anyone else out there has been through the same situation. I know no one is going to be able to give me answers, but hopefully I can get some comfort knowing this has happened to someone besides myself.

Thank you for reading.

-Carly

Jennax907 responded:
I had something similar happen to me with my second child. My LMP was on December 1st. I went into the doctor, at what I thought was 7 weeks 2 days and she saw nothing on the vaginal ultrasound. According to my HCG I was only around 5 weeks. Anyway, I went back 2 weeks later and there was my little girl and a heartbeat. There was a 9 day difference from my LMP due date and the ultrasound due date. So not only did I ovulate late, I also implanted late. LOL...I wouldn't worry just yet, you're probably just early. GL

CarlyA1201 replied to Jennax907's response:
Thank you. This is very comforting.

jlbwondering35 responded:
Well, to be honest it sounds like all is pretty good. Your hcg levels are pretty high and you may just be not as far along as you hoped.

Please let us know your hcg when you get the results.

Good Luck
ME(37) DH(40) DS BORN 3-3-11, CHEERING FOR THE PINK TEAM THIS TIME. EDD 6-22-12.

CarlyA1201 replied to jlbwondering35's response:
thank you. I will. I go in tomorrow.

CarlyA1201 responded:
  • **UPDATE***

So I went to get my blood drawn today and my levels went from 38,004 to 52,198

Aren't the levels suppose to double or triple?
  •  
    tlkittycat1968 replied to CarlyA1201's response:
    I'm pretty sure that's only in early pregnancy. Once they get to a certain point, as long as they are increasing and not decreasing, that's a good sign.

jlbwondering35 replied to CarlyA1201's response:
    They are supposed to double, but sometimes they don't...what did your Dr say about the numbers? Were they ok with what came up? My friend had low hcg's to start and her dr told her she should be prepared for a miscarriage and now she has a very healthy, thriving 5 month old.
    ME(37) DH(40) DS BORN 3-3-11, CHEERING FOR THE PINK TEAM THIS TIME. EDD 6-22-12.

ariana92881 responded:
    I wouldn't worry. If your cycles are usually 35-39 days, then you probably ovulated in early november/very late october rather than mid to late october. This would put your pregnancy occured 1-2 weeks later than you would think based on your LMP. bHCG levels are good, and are increasing, which is a very good sign. And at 6 weeks pregnant, it takes a skilled ultrasound technician to be able to find the baby, which is usually close to the yolk sack. 6 weeks is the earliest you could see the baby, and this is only by transvaginal ultrasound. I am now 7w6d, and we got pregnant through IVF, so I am being closely monitored through the early pregnancy. We had trouble seeing the baby at 5w6d on the transvaginal ultrasound, but could hear the heartbeat. Next time, if you still can't visually see the baby see if they can find the heartbeat, that can be very reassuring!

Good luck with the pregnancy, and let us know what you find out on your next ultrasound!

hgreenwood7058 replied to CarlyA1201's response:
    They are supposed to double every 48-72 hours so. Although they didn't totally double they still went up a fair amount. I would not worry just yet. Once you get above a certain number its actually less accurate then the ultrasounds. Hopefully you will get good news with the u/s. Best wishes.
    Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Green team. Hope this LO will stick

CarlyA1201 responded:
    Thank you everyone for the positive feed back. I haven't talked to my OBGYN since I've had my blood drawn so I've been really anxious. I went today for a scheduled ultrasound and I was super excited until I got up to the front counter and they said my apt had been cancelled. Ughhh! I received no call or email. After complain a bit they rescheduled me with another OBGYN I had dealt with in my previous pregnancy for tomorrow. I will update you ladies tomorrow! Thank you again.

CarlyA1201 responded:
  • *UPDATE**
    So I saw my OBGYN yesterday. They did an ultrasound and they said they still could not get good enough pictures to measure the baby and he said ball park (after he tried to measure) I was only measuring 6W6D. When would I have conceived then? The good news is..I did hear a heart beat and saw a bit of fluttering. The heart beat was 150 bpm which he said is in the normal range. It was very difficult for my OBGYN to find the heart beat, but it was there. I'm still kinda iffy because I still have not been able to really see the baby. I don't see what they see I suppose. Then again I didn't find out with my first until I was 8 weeks and I saw him perfectly fine. Is it becasue I'm just too early? I worry too much.
  •  
    mommyin2011 replied to CarlyA1201's response:
    It looks like you might have conceived around Nov. 10th (guessing your LMP was 10/27) Don't be worried that you didn't see the baby. You got to her the heartbeat! That means he/she is alive and well!!!!

Congrats on your pregnancy!! Please enjoy this wonderful moment! It truly is a miracle
    Me (29) DH (27) 4 fur babies - 1st baby DS born on 7/31/11 - prego again with 2 due on 7/19/12! - cheering for pink team!!

Lysana replied to CarlyA1201's response:
    It sounds like maybe your OB doesn't usually do early ultrasounds, so s/he isn't getting a good picture. It does sound like things are okay, though.

And once your levels are higher, it can take up to 96 hrs for them to double. In fact, I just read on an HCG calculator page that once they're over 6,000 mIu the doubling rate is >96 hrs. Yours is 104 hrs, so I suspect that's reasonable, at those levels.

HCG Levsl DOUBLING TIME EXPECTED Under 1,200 mIU/ml Between 30 and 72 Hours 1200-6000 mIU/ml Between 72 and 96 Hours Over 6,000 mIU/ml Over 96 Hours

http://www.babymed.com/tools/hcg-calculator

It really sounds like things are okay, but I know it's hard wondering.
    Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (March 2011)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been married to my hubby for 10 years. We got married when I was 18, and have 4 wonderful children, DS 10, DS 8, DD 5, DS 3, and a LO that is d...More

Helpful Tips

Pregnancy and flying
    Can anyone help me out?! I'm 29 weeks pregnant and its not a high risk pregnancy, i was wondering if anyone here has ever flew while ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    3 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.