Skip to content

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Is a Dnc the same as an abortion?
3lovingkids posted:

Take the Poll

If you have not miscarried but the baby did not develop at 3 months is a DNC the same as having a abortion. Beens they have to do the same thing on both of them.
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

3lovingkids responded:
Sorry my head is such a mess I can't seem to spell right.

mlk240 responded:
There is a big difference between a D&C for a miscarriage and an abortion. The procedure itself may be the same or similar (not 100% sure on that) but for an abortion, the baby is growing and thriving in the womb, and the abortion stops that from happening. A D&C for a miscarriage is the removal of fetal tissue that had stopped growing on it's own. If you didn't have an abortion, you would likely end up with a baby, but if you didn't have a D&C after a miscarriage, you would likely end up with an infection. I hope that helps you to separate the two procedures in your mind.
Randi (31), DH (32), DS (7), EDD 4/13/12
Team Blue - Finnegan James
27w4d

mwhite80 responded:
About a year after I had my first child, I got pregnant again but at my first ultrasound I found out the baby stopped developing and I chose to have a d&c, i could have waited for my body to do it on its own, but i was so upset I just wanted it over. After getting it done I got a statement from the hospital and it said abortion. I called them and was very upset since I wanted my child and would never choose to abort my baby. It was explained to me that techicanally it is the same procedure, removing the products of conception, so they are billed the same and there was nothing they could do on there end to change the paper work. But personally I don't think that a D&C of a baby that stopped developing and an abortion of a perfectly good thriving baby should be considered the same. Doctors and hospital need to realize the emotionally calling what I did an abortion was very painful and hurtful. So to answer your question No I don't consider them the same, whether they are done the same way or not.
Madeline(31)DH(30)-DS Paul(4), DD Isabella (11 months), HPT 1/07/12

3lovingkids replied to mwhite80's response:
Thank you for your help. It has helped me a lot. I talked with the doctor again this morning and they said I could put if a little longer that it would not hurt anything. I just don't know what is worse waiting to do it knowing that the baby did not develop or having this done.

Lysana replied to 3lovingkids's response:
TRIGGERS

(((hugs))) I am so sorry for your loss.

I have had two miscarriages, and have had a D&C with both of them. With my first, no embryo developed. With my second, my little one started developing, then stopped at 11 weeks. We waited another four weeks before I had a D&C. It was rough, but it was the best thing for us, emotionally.

I do think that it's better for your body to miscarry naturally, because even though a D&C is low-risk, it is still invasive. However...the most stressful part of those four weeks was the fear that I WOULD miscarry naturally, and a part of me was relieved when it didn't happen on its own, and I "had" to have the D&C.

It is awful, regardless, and I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Many gentle (((hugs))) and I'll say a prayer for you.

Also - my second miscarriage was this past March...wow, almost a year ago, now...and we had three sweet kiddos at that point. My first was before I became pregnant with my oldest daughter. I think the second one was harder for many reasons, but not the least of which because I KNEW what we were missing.

It's painful either way. (((hugs)))
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (5) ~~ Joshua (3.5) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (March 2011)

mwhite80 replied to 3lovingkids's response:
I remember the feeling, my husband was deploying to Iraq when i miscarried also. I knew I need to get it done and over with and i was told too that I could wait a few weeks and see if my body took care of it. Whatever you decide to do, my prayers are with you and good luck with future pregnancies

3lovingkids replied to Lysana's response:
Thank you so much for all the comments they have really helped. I think I am going to have it done. The longer I keep it in there the harder it is going to be. my 4yr old DD keeps asking if I am sad so I know that it will be easier on all of us.

hlvmom10 replied to mwhite80's response:
I am really sorry that happened to you.. the hospital bill and all. Somtimes people don't think about how things might effect someone. I am very blessed to have a OB that is caring..( he actually rocks) I had a m/c in sept 2011. Started spotting at work, Doc told me to come in and get an u/s to put my mind at ease for the weekend..I know he didnt expect us both to watch "dots" little heart stop..at 8 weeks I waited for the bill to come in for 2 months, it never did. I called and spoke with his nurse, she said that his office was not going to bill me for anything. And that he never does when things like that happen. I almost cried. I sent them a fruit basket.

As for the topic, no they are not the same in my opinion. You wanted your baby..but someone else had other ideas.

B.

mwhite80 replied to hlvmom10's response:
Sorry to hear about your miscarriage my thought and prayers are with you and your family. i can't believe that it has been three years since mine. I remember seeing my daughters heart beat for the first time, I cried seeing that knowing the heartache from finding out I miscarried. My baby girl will be a year old on Valentine's Day and we will be having another baby in Sept 2012(cross your fingers I havent had my first ultrasound yet).

That is awesome that your doctor didnt bill you for your miscarriage, it was very shocking to see that word on my statement. More doctors need to be caring like that.

hlvmom10 replied to mwhite80's response:
Congrats on being due in Sept! Me too!! My son is 19months old We can be buddies EDD Sept 28 I see OB on Feb 16th . And yes, more doctors should be more caring, afterall we are the ones keeping them in practice. I understand why they try not to get to emotionally involved, but on the otherhand..some compassion is nice. Like I mentioned, I have been so blessed to find an OB office that is so great, I literally trust him with my life. And his head nurse, ( we had our babies 2 weeks apart) cried with me and held my hand after the u/s was over...in my opinion, I couldnt be in better hands.

Helpful Tips

Pregnancy and flying
Can anyone help me out?! I'm 29 weeks pregnant and its not a high risk pregnancy, i was wondering if anyone here has ever flew while ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.