Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Cramping
danrubes posted:
Hi there!

Does anyone experience cramping like menstrual cramp during the first trimester? None of the people I have talked to has experienced it except me. The doctor told me that it's normal, but I'm freaking out.

Thanks for responding.

jermanda23 responded:
I had menstrual-like cramping for the first few weeks with our first child and everything was perfectly fine. I've also had cramping with this pregnancy - I'm 7 weeks now and I was sure I was starting my period for days before I took the test since it felt just like menstrual cramps. I still cramp every now and then. My doctor said it's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

I know it's easier said than done but don't worry about it for now. I've heard of several other women who experienced this as well. The time to call the dr. would be if you start bleeding a lot (not just a little spotting) and if the pain intensifies a lot. Your cramps sound perfectly normal.

light76 responded:
Hi,
I am having severe menstrual cramps too and pretty bad ones. I was worried and talked to my doctor about it who said that it is normal as long as you do not bleed or spot with it. I searched at bing.com and it said that drinking more liquids will reduce the cramps. I have been doing that the last couple of days and although I still cramp; its not as severe anymore.

danrubes replied to jermanda23's response:
Thank you so much for your response. It definitely makes me feel a lot better, knowing that I'm not alone. My mother and aunts never had any cramps, so I freaked out.

I'm 6 weeks now and so very excited in this journey of motherhood.

Congrats. and good luck with your second pregnancy.

danrubes replied to light76's response:
Hi light76- mine is not severe but enough to keep me on my toes. Thank goodness for no bleeding. I'll remember to drink lots of water. I hope yours will get better, too. Thanks for responding.

Renea200932615 responded:
I read online that it is just the thinning out of your cervix or something like that just making room for the growing bean inside you. It's nothing to worry about as long as your not bleeding. I also have randome cramping that feels like my cycle coming on and to tell you the truth I'm still a little shocked that I'm not bleeding when I go to the bathroom. I'm only 9 weeks and it hasn't sunk in yet lol.

RobynMia replied to danrubes's response:
I have had cramping without bleeding since I have been pregnant (8 weeks) and you need to get in and see a doctor. Two reasons for my cramping, one I have BV. A bacterial infection which in my case most likely occurred due to low ph levels. I am beyond annoyed that this is my second BV this year with the joy of having 5 yeast infections this year as well. (And, I've been with my hubby for 6 years). Sometimes BV just happens and it is not uncommon in pregnant women. More then likely, if treated early it will not affect your baby at all. You will be given an antibiotic cream if this is the case. The second reason for cramping is a blood clot located on my uterus wall. It can be detected with an ultrasound. It can put you at a higher risk for miscarriage but more often then not your body will absorb this clot within a few weeks with no impact on your baby as long as you take it easy. (And, for me that means no sex for a month!) Again, regardless, talk to your doctor.

vybe77 replied to RobynMia's response:
Here's the flip side for you ladies..I am 5 weeks along..confirmed pregnancy with several HPTs and 2 digital ones..I have absolutely no symptoms..no cramping, no nausea nothing...this is BB4 for me so I'm used to having some symptoms..has anyone ever had that and have everything turn out fine??

BridgetBurke replied to vybe77's response:
I had no symptoms at all with DS - never even had morning sickness/nausea. This time I had no symptoms until about 7 weeks when I finally (Oh joy!) experienced morning sickness for the first time. It has eased up some, but now I get motion sickness. (I am 8 wks 2 days.) Sigh. I miss the days of no symptoms. I think everything is fine. Enjoy feeling great - I'm jealous. Haha.

Bridget

Spotlight: Member Stories

I will be celebrating my 55th birthday soon and my soon-to-be youngest daughter was born IN my heart, not under. That is to say we are adopting my gre...More

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
166 of 216 found this helpful