Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

First after 40
MrsDLP9211 posted:
I am 42 years old... and am expecting my first in February 2013. Nervous and excited. Want to do everything right. I guess with advancements in medicine it isn't as risky as it was years ago. Keeping an open mind and taking it one day at a time.

Any other first timers over 40?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
CONGRATS! I had my 2nd daughter at 40. I was a little shocked when I saw the words "advanced maternal age" on my chart - I didn't feel 40!

Open mind and one day at a time is the best strategy! You might also want to try some prenatal yoga or join a support group. I found lifelong friends when I was pregnant and it was great because we all have kids the same age - facing Kindergarten now - gulp!

Haylen

Anon_46 responded:
I'm 38 and expecting my first (in Feb too). We had not planned to have kids, but changed our mind. Because of my age I was realistically not expecting it happen. Instead it happened quickly! So far so good. 1st u/s next week. Good luck.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I had my DS at 38 and my DD at 40. I didn't get married until I was 34 so that's why I didn't have kids until late in life.

It's funny. My mom had my little brother at 35 and I thought that was "old" to have a baby and then there I was, having my 1st at 38 and my second at 40.

MrsDLP9211 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
My husband of 9 months has a 16 year old son, he was happy and then kept laughing because he never expected to do this again. We went to Wal-Mart and walked through the baby aisles we were dazed and confused. But really looking forward to the adventure. Friends of ours that are the same age called us last week and said they are expecting as well. So we are going to do this together.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to MrsDLP9211's response:
MrsDLP,

The best thing I did was take a friend with toddlers to register and shop for baby stuff. She knew exactly what I would need (diapers, diapers, diapers) and what I would not (anything article of clothing that is white).

How does the 16 year old feel about a baby?

Haylen

Anon_1560 responded:
I am not over forty but I am trying to conceive. My sister in law is pregnant with twins right now and she is forty. I agree with the other person who said to listen to other parents about what you need ect.... but I would caution you to do that with a person who you KNOW knows those things.
My sister in law was bombarded by my aunt and she was telling her all these things she 'needed' to know.... problem was: my aunt is NOT a good mom. Her children are wild, one is 'off' and they refuse to acknowledge it or have him tested (I won't let my child alone with this one) and they let other people parent FOR them. She knows nothing about effective ways to raise a child or what is needed and not needed. My poor sister in law was listening and thinking "she had twins she MUST know the answers", but no. Both my mom and I cautioned her about listening to ANYTHING that woman had to say.
So choose your 'role model" carefully, just because a person has kids doesn't necessarily mean that they are "clued in".

AnaBoykins responded:
Hi there! I will be 40 for the delivery in feb '13, is my first and I am very scared, but trusting and triying to be positive one day at a time.... super good luck!!!

MrsDLP9211 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Actually he has mixed emotions. His mom is expecting too. She is having a girl so he is hoping that I have a boy. He wants a little brother.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 33 years old, and married to my wonderful husband, John, who is 35. I recently (10-6-10) found out I am pregnant. I am very excited, but appreh...More

Helpful Tips

if i take birth control during my pregnancy will it hurt my baby?
have 2 miscarreds before so im worryed cus i just found out im 9weeks and ive been takeing birth control and would hurt the baby and the ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.