Skip to content

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Deli meats during pregnancy
vybe77 posted:
I've read up online about the dangers of eating deli meats while pregnant.. the debate goes on and on about it..Dr's say it's a no-no unless you heat up the meat first..other people say they've eaten it (raw) and they and their babies were fine..
The reason I'm putting this out there is that I made the mistake of eating some cooked bologna last night and didn't think about it while doing it.. only later did the memory float back to me about it..needless to say I am worried about it now..
I remember eating at Subway a few times (during me last pregnancy) and when I do eat there I toast my subs but my last pregnancy did end in m/c so could it have been because of that?
Worried..help!!

KLN777 responded:
If your bologna was cooked, you're probably ok. The reason to avoid deli meats is that it is POSSIBLE for them to be contaminated with listeriosis. Same with unpasteurized dairy products. Pregnant women can get very sick from listeriosis and that is what can harm the baby. If you're not super sick (fever sever vomiting), then you do not have listeriosis. And unless that happened before, you did not m/c bc of the deli meat. In the future, heat any deli meat to 180 degrees to make sure that any bacteria is killed. I am sure you and your baby are just fine.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
One exposure to deli meat should be okay. When I was pregnant with both kids, I'd eat subway once a week without toasting it and was fine. I think as long as you don't eat it every day, you should be fine.

It's sort of like your chances of getting in a car accident go up the more you drive.

KLN777 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
It really only takes one time to get listeriosis. I would listen to the doctors and avoid it altogether. I got food poisoning from Subway once not pregnant and it was HORRIBLE. I cannot imagine how bad it would have been were I pregnant or the effect it could have had on my baby. Deli meats, hot dogs, raw meat, and unpasteurized dairy products can all carry listeria. The odds probably aren't good that you would get listeriosis, but it only takes once. I really don't think it's worth the risk. Get a big sub after you give birth. (Side note: I don't think toasting the sub heats the meat to the 180 degrees required to kill bacteria.)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Eve for short, I'm 20 years old, DF will turn 21 tomorrow :) We have been together since 2007, and are planning on getting married real...More

Helpful Tips

Pregnancy and flying
Can anyone help me out?! I'm 29 weeks pregnant and its not a high risk pregnancy, i was wondering if anyone here has ever flew while ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.