Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

7 days late...heavy bleeding, painful cramps and clotting
SillyMcFly posted:
I have always been on a regular cycle, never more than a day late. This week I was seven days late, excited and scared i took a HPT. Negative, so i figured my body needed more time to show a positive, sore breasts for a week, tired and just feeling ill. Yesterday i started bleeding very heavily, accompanied by extremely painful cramping and clotting in the dark red blood. My thoughts are very early miscarriage... or just an abnormal period?? Thoughts? Im confused

An_248769 responded:
You could have had a chemical pregnancy/early miscarriage, and the hormones may have been too low to be detected on a test. The first month we were TTC (I'm on month 3), I experienced what you described. I've always been an on-the-nose day 26 starter, but my period didn't come until day 31. And when it did, it was fast and furious...much heavier and more painful than in recent memory (it was like I was 18 again before I went on BC for cramps/heavy bleeding). The period after that was very long — 8 days — but started right on time on day 26 (counting from the first day of the previous bleeding). I think what happened is that I had a chem preg that didn't expel all the tissue. So the next month, I had essentially two periods on top of each other that lasted five days longer than normal. (I'm currently in the waiting period before I find out if I'm pregnant at month 3).

What I could tell by searching other forums and reading NIH literature is that chem pregs are very common because they help to control potentially fatal chromosomes from becoming viable. So, you may have gotten pregnant, but things weren't lining up like they should in your embryo's DNA properly.

I know it's small comfort, but if this is what happened with you, then you should know that your body is doing what it was created to do.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Married to a sexy soldier, mother of 2 girls, expecting baby #3 due date is April 30,2011.. now im also a mother of of 3 dogs and 2 guinea pigs.. I ca...More

Helpful Tips

Juice out hunger
Because I can't eat all the suggested fruits and vegetables daily I juice them. That takes the hunger away and I eat a meal about 8pm. It ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.