Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

1st doctor's appointment question
court49525 posted:
Hi everyone!

I just found out that I am pregnant yesterday. While I am incredibly excited because this will be #2 for us, it's still very early so we aren't telling anyone yet because of the risk of miscarriage.
All that being said, I called my doctor so she could write me a script for prenatal vitamins and they did that for me but they also want me to come in next week to confirm the pregnancy.

I, personally, think it seems like a waste of my time to confirm it. I know I'm pregnant and they only thing they are going to do is have me meet with a nurse, write down my history (yet again), have me pee on a stick, and tell me what I can and cannot do. Then I will have to go in yet again around 12 weeks to actually meet with the doctor. Having been through all of this before, I would rather just wait until the 12 week appointment because if I'm going to have a miscarriage it will have happened by then. The office won't let me do that though because they said it's procedure even though I've been a patient there for 8 years and this doctor was my OB for my DD.

Any thoughts? Is this really necessary?

missashley1010 responded:
Lurking from 2nd tri

I thought the same thing when I went in for that appt! I felt like it was such a waste of time and money. Everything stayed the same with my medical history and I got the same book I got when I had my son latedah. They also told me I had to do it. I dont know if you just waited it out if they would just skip that appt. I know for sure they cant MAKE you go to an appt, however even if you sechdual it at a later time I wonder if they would still have you meet with nurse...tough call. I do agree that is waste of time. I guess you could just bite the bullet and go like I did.

court49525 replied to missashley1010's response:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! I may just bite the bullet like you did since the appt is suppose to be on Monday and I'm sure they would not be happy if I cancelled last minute.
Oh well.

Thanks for replying!

ShaylaCG responded:
My first Dr appointment was actually different this time. I had an ultrasound, and had to get bloodwork done. While I don't think there would be any harm in waiting, it wouldn't hurt either.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, My Name is Diana and I live in Charleston, SC. We are pregnant with our third child. I have two girls ages 10 and 5. We are really hoping for a bo...More

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
166 of 216 found this helpful