Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

HCG and Progesterone
KangarooPouches posted:
Hello all,

I am 6w1d pregnant. This is my 4th pregnancy.

Pregnancy 1:Miscarriage 6th week
Pregnancy 2:Preterm birth at 26 weeks - healthy 5 year old toddler now
Pregnancy 3: Miscarriage 6th week

HCG levels this time:

35 days: 2815
37 days: 3723
39 days: 3487
Today (43 days): 4207

So, it was not doubling, in fact dropped and very slowly rising. So, I insisted on ultrasounds (since my OB just said "Be prepared for a miscarriage")

Had ultrasounds:

35 days: Gestational sac with yolk and 91bpm see through transvaginal ultrasound
Today (43 days): 126 bpm through abdominal ultrasound

So, thats good news right?

While doing some online researches, I came across few discussions about Progesterone.

I insisted that we check those levels for me, the OB was very relucatant and she said she is not concerned about those at all. But, I had it anyway. The numbers are 7.6. Based on what I'm reading online the minimum is 9. I have requested her for a progesterone supplement to try preventing the miscarriage.

My questions:

1. What are the chances that I will not miscarry - since HCG went down and now rising but slowly?
2. Can I forget about the HCG and just be happy with the fetal heartbeat?
3. Is my line of thought about Progesterone right? Will it help in anyway? I hear it is not a regular pill/shot, and that it is a pill that has to be inserted into the vagina.
4. If, God forbid, this pregnancy is not viable, is it better to miscarry naturally or D&C? the only + I can think of about D&C - may be they can test the fetus and find out if anything was wrong and if it could be corrected before I try to conceive next.

Appreciate all answers and more importantly the support and prayers.

samie_77 responded:
I think you should get the Progesterone STAT, and I think your Dr. is a moron.

Progesterone in the first trimester needs to be between 10 and 45. That's why when women have multiple miscarriages they will supplement Progesterone during their pregnancies.Your baby still has a heartbeat I think if you started the Progesterone you still may be able to carry to full term (I'm not a Dr. just hopeful for you).

Progesterone comes in a lot of different forms, pill, cream, suppository, or shot.

Good Luck and lots of prayers!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Cara and DB and I have been trying to conceive for over a year now and it's finaly happened. We are very excited yet a little nervous b...More

Helpful Tips

6 Embarrassing Pregnancy Symptoms
Experts offer tips for coping with everything from excess gas to forgetfulness. To help you know what you can really expect when you're ... More
Was this Helpful?
58 of 80 found this helpful