Skip to content

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

pregnancy and xanax...
Lovin_my_babies posted:
Hi. I just got my confirmed positive on Saturday, and I am 5 weeks preg today. I have been on Xanax, but I know that it can cause birth defects, when used in the first trimester, and in particular during weeks 4-8. I havent taken it since saturday, but I am really worried if there is damage already done. Any idea how early doctors can detect birth defects? Also, I am having horrible anxiety and dont know what to do. Does anyone know of any safe medication to treat anxiety during pregnancy? I dont know what to do? I know that you are not supposed to just stop taking medication like xanax without doctor consent, but I cant get in touch with my doctor (that prescribed the xanax) until friday. Also, my OB/ GYN is out of town until June 3rd, however I do have an appointment with him that day. Sorry for so many questions, but I can not find solid information online, such as what types of birth defects xanax can cause, and things of that nature. Any experience, or answers are greatly appreciated! Thanks in Advance!

jenfur79 responded:
I just called my pregnancy hotline because I dont know if I am PG yet and I am on xanax as well and she told me there was nothing wrong with taking it while PG and they have done alot of studies saying it was safe to take while pregnant. I wouldnt get upset over it yet until you speak to your doctor but I was told it was okay. Hope that helps

Jen__ responded:
Depending on the dose of xanax, a sudden stop can lead to withdrawal or even a seizure. So, hopefully you are on a low dose. I imagine those things would happen within the first 72 hours, just guessing. So, you're almost out of the woods there. If you can't get ahold of the doctor who prescribed the xanax, I would ask your OB doctor. If you don't have one yet, I would start making phone calls just to be safe. As for detecting birth defects... It really depends on what type of birth defect. But read this that I just found: forums.obgyn.net/womens-health/WHF.9807/0671.html and here is another quote I found: "Xanax is not recommended for women who are breastfeeding, pregnant, or planning to become pregnant. Xanax could cause breathing problems or muscle weakness in an infant. Also, a newborn whose mother had been taking Xanax might experience withdrawal symptoms. Other benzodiazepines, similar to Xanax, have been seen to cause an increase in birth defects. While Xanax has not been demonstrated to be a high risk factor for birth defects, the possibility exists that it could increase their likelihood. " I hope that helps.

Nap_Girl responded:
I abruptly stopped 40 mg of citalopram after a positive pregnancy test, and the withdrawal symptoms were pretty severe. However, they faded after about 10-14 days. I would be surprised if your doctor's office couldn't put you in contact with an on-call doctor, or refer you to someone else...you might also want to discuss this with your prescribing physician or someone else in his/her practice. As with all medications during pregnancy, you have to weigh the pros and cons. For me, I am going to try to go it alone without antidepressants, but I have to watch to see how badly my depression and anxiety return. While there are some elevated risks with citalopram in pregnancy, there are also risks for untreated depression... Sorry, a little OT> I wouldn't worry about damage done, as I think our bodies are designed to protect babies before we know that we are pregnant. Just do the best you can now, and consult physicians as appropriate. Good luck. Kelly SAHM to 2 DDs (4 & 3) PG with #3, Due January 2010

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Cori I'm 24 and my husband is Jeff who is 27. We have a handsome little boy, Cole, who was born on 5/27/09 and is a great baby! We have...More

Helpful Tips

if i take birth control during my pregnancy will it hurt my baby?
have 2 miscarreds before so im worryed cus i just found out im 9weeks and ive been takeing birth control and would hurt the baby and the ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.