Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Blood Clot in Uterus
YourSliceOfLife86 posted:
Hey all, I posted a few days ago about brown blood. Well yesterday I had a 15 minute session of really strong cramps and about an hour later red blood. I bled off and on all evening, nothing too heavy and not strong cramps, very mild actually. So i called my OB this morning and she saw me, did a sonogram and the LO is doing okay. I got see the heartbeat flicker on the screen!!! We also got 2 pictures. However there is bad news. I have a blood clot in my uterus so I have to go back next week for another sonogram so they can take a closer look. I'll be into my 7th week, almost 8 when i go back for the sonogram next week. She did say that there is a possibility that it could be another baby and not a blood clot at all!!! I doubt it though, my husband and I do not have a single set of twins in our family. She also said that if I started bleeding red again to call the ER and tell them what's going on and they'll tell me if I should come in or not. Has anyone here had a blood clot in your uterus during pregnancy before??? She also mentioned that I had a cyst on my ovary but not to worry about it, it was normal looking and not dangerous. I'm kind of worried about the blood clot hurting the baby. Any advice?

MrsTang responded:
I have never had a blood clot in my uterus, but you may want to post this question over on the Pregnant after Loss board, or Pregnancy After Infertility board. Those women have been through many many things, and there may be someone over there who can help.

Not to say that you're going to lose your baby - I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying that there are other boards besides this one where you can ask questions. I personally spend most of my time on Pregnant After Loss because I had an early miscarriage between this pregnancy and my first.

You may also want to try posting on the parenting boards as well - In case other moms have been thru what you have described.

Best of luck to you!! Please come back and post an update!!

ckals responded:
I just read your post, you may want to put the question on 2nd trimester board, there was someone who posted something like that in the last day or so.

Liza119 responded:
So odd, I was going to post a question like this today! I have been spotting for a week and a half now. Mostly brown but sometimes pink/light red, etc. I went for a U/S @ 7wk2d (1 week ago today) and my RE said i have a blood clot that is causing all the spotting. Babies (we are pg w/ twins) look great, but he said the bleeding MAY get worse before it gets better. I am starting to get really hyper about it because it just keeps going on...and on....and on. It looks like it actually may be getting better today, but just when I think it's getting better I'll get a big stain on my tp or underliner o I'm being cautiously optimistic! I have another U/S on Monday so I pray that things are still going ok in there, and if they are, I plan to ask her when the heck I can expect this to stop! It's just so unnerving and I'm getting really sick of worrying about it.

Stacy012010 responded:
I don't think you're supposed to use tampons in pregnancy?? This is what my baby books say. Ask your doc.

Liza119 responded:
sorry, tp = toilet paper. I'm not using tampons.

sunyflwr responded:
I have (well, had) a blood clot, also called a subchronic hematoma or subchronic hemorrhage or subchronic bleed. My midwife was very knowledgeable and explained it all to me. She said that these kinds of bleeds are pretty normal. They just don't know the frequency that they happen, because most women don't get 1st trimester ultrasounds. But the women that DO get 1st trimester ultrasounds, they find them, especially if there is spotting or bleeding involved. If your doc doesn't seem that knowledgeable about this topic, you might want to get a second opinion and have a different doc look at your ultrasound results.

Unless your clot is extremely large (like 5 cm or more large) you should have nothing to worry about. Miscarriage due to a clot is VERY rare, and it only can occur if the clot is so large that it is able to detach the gestational sac from your uterus. Mostly, the clots resolve themselves by the 2nd tri. The clots are usually reabsorbed by your body and go away.

I have posted a response to someone about this topic last week. The subject line was "Ultrasonic result - need help" and the question was posted by Jon2006 on June 14. Check out that post if you want some additional info.

YourSliceOfLife86 responded:
Well I think I have good news! I've been having brown clumpy discharge for a few hours and I'm pretty sure it's the blood clot making it's way out. I have no cramps and no pain. I didn't even notice it until I wiped after using the restroom. So hopefully all is well. The nurse did tell me to expect more brown bleeding and discharge. Thanks to everyone for all of the replies. I felt so much better just from hearing from other people about this. It's my first pregnancy so I'm 100% new to all of this and easily made nervous! I'd do crazy without you guys!!!! I'll keep you up to date on what they tell me next week at my next sonogram!

jagersmommy responded:
Lurking....

At my 10 wks ultrasound they told me they found a blood clot on the placenta I started freaking out since I'm new to all of this as well. My dr. Told me just to take it easy. The day of my last ultrasound I passed a browinsh clumpy thing lol it happened to be the blood clot. Don't stress everything will be fine !

H&h 9 months

Update:

I went to have another sonogram yesterday. Unfortunately the blood clot is still in there. I"m still having light brown bleeding. They did more blood work and my doctor told me that from what he sees there is a 50/50 chance that I'll have a miscarriage. I'm going back in tuesday for more blood work. At this point there is nothing really they can do except monitor me. So he told me to take it easy and put me on pelvic rest. He did say to stay on the bright side because there is a heartbeat of 119. So that's good. It just sucks that they can't actually tell you what's going to happen! So now I'm just waiting and praying that I don't lose the baby. I'll keep everyone updated! Thanks so much for all of the replies, they've helped me stay sane!

amandagray responded:
Yes...it is also called a Subchoronic Hemorrhage. They are caused by a tear in utero and a clot forms (just like any other scab really). Generally they resolve them selves. I had one with a previous pregnancy and it healed with in a few weeks. Just make sure you take it easy! No heavy lifting, or doing anything out of the usual for you. I was also told no exercise when i had mine. GOOD LUCK!

Liza119 responded:
My Drs didn't even mention m/c as a possible risk to mine. Is yours particularly big? Ive heard that unless they are large, they don't really have an impact on the baby. Gosh, I'm sorry you had to get such sobering news. This should be a happy time. Keep us posted..

New Update!

I had my first real OB appointment yesterday. She couldn't find a heartbeat on the doppler which made me sad. I was worried for a few minutes! After my exam she took me to the sonogram room and did a quick sono. Sure enough there was baby and a heartbeat! The reason she couldn't find a heartbeat on the doppler is because the baby was bouncing everywhere! Jumping up and down! Very active kid! lol! We also didn't see the blood clot anywhere, so hopefully it's gone! Baby looks great We're so relieved! Thanks to all of you who responded!!! It helped so much to hear about similar stories!

nikaunika11 responded:
Hi I am going through something very similar I am 14 weeks pregnant and this morning I thought I had a miscarriage because for the last few weeks I had been bleeding both red and brown blood and this morning around six am I woke up and blood was in my clothes I went to sit on the toilet and a huge mass came out of me which I thought was the baby but after going to the hospital it was only a clot and I have one more to pass and they also found out I was originally pregnant with twins but the other one didn't take so maybe that's what the clots are there for

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 27 and I have been married since June 24th, 2007. I have been with my DH since 2002. I am a stay at home mom and babysitter. We have a wonderful ...More

Helpful Tips

Constipation Tip! (Gross, I know.)
Hi Ladies! With every pregnancy my worst symptom has been my inability to poop. It's pretty disgusting, I know. HOWEVER, the only reason ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 196 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.