Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

zofran pump
tmo545s posted:
So I have horrible horrible nausea and vomiting and after going to the hospital and getting a zofran IV, my doctor put me on the pill form. I was really excited because through th IV it worked wonders. Unfortunately the Zofran pills did not work for me and my doctor said I can have the Zofran pump. My question is for anyone who has had this...does it work???? I am reluctant to do it because I am highly needlephobic and I'm not so sure about having to stick myself or have someone do it for me unless I know its going to be effective. At this point I am going to do it if it has worked for others. Help me please!

Lovin_my_babies responded:
Ive never had this, this is my 4th pregnancy (w/ first ending in M/C) but needless to say, i never had M/S until this pregnancy. Its killing me. lol.. anyway, i believe that it was the zofran pump that my sister had during her last pregnancy (throughout her entire pregnancy) and she said that it did work much better than any of the pills that she had taken. I am considering speaking to my OB about this, bc something has got to give, and nothing is working for me so far! GL.. if you decide to do this, let us know how it works for you!!

kris7474 responded:
I have been having horrible nausea as well. My doctor also prescribed me the pill form, I took one the other day but it didn't help at all. I can hardly keep anything down and the mere sight of any food makes me want to gag! Please let us know what you decide!

CRod13 responded:
I have the pill form also, and they work good BUT they make me get constipated (TMI) :sad: so now I'm starting to try and deal with the nausea or just puke bc in my opinion I rather go #2 and not be bloated and have cramps w/ stomach pain.... so I'm trying not to take it as much....

TijanaK responded:
I am 12 weeks pregnant and have been using the Zofran pump since week 6. I had horrible nausea and used the Reglan pump first. The needles are not bad, very small and as long as you push your skin together so it's hard, you can barely feel the poke, it is so worth it. I was throwing up day and night and ended up in the hospital 2, so this is a huge relief. I can now eat and drink again. On days where the nausea is worse, you can request an extra dose on the pump and it helps within minutes. I would definetly recommend it. I also researched it quite a bit and there seems to be no side effects for the baby. The constipation is not bad on the pump, but I did have to get some medicine to help a few times. Good Luck, I know how you feel. :sillygrin: :sillygrin:

tmo545s responded:
Update: I went to the hospital again last Thursday to Friday. I got my pump on Friday and now here I am about a week later and I am still puking 3 or more times a day and have nausea continually throughout the day. The nurse keeps upping my dose, but nothing has worked yet. Even when I get to give myself extra, it doesn't work like it does through the IV in the hospital. I was sooooooooo hopeful about this and now I am back to my normal puke, cry routine. The needle isn't bad but I can't do it myself. But I have had to take it out extra times because it has been painful. My husband yells at me to get a new line asap, but at this point whats the point? I feel crappy with it and I feel crappy without it. :crying:

firewife221 responded:
I'm 9 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with hypermesis gravarium (severe morning sickness) on Tuesday. I got the reglanpump this past Tuesday and I can say it has worked MIRACLES for me, only after I was switched from reglan to zofran! I have moments where I feel nauseous and after I call in and get a bolus I feel much better. I was put on IV therapy as well but because my ketones are negitive I haven't had to use the IV therapy since the 1st night. The pump is somewhat of a pain in the rear, there are times I forget it's there and when I go to get up it falls on the floor. My husband is a firefighter/EMT and the 2 times i've had to change my site my husband has done it for me. I am not a fan of needles and I can say it doesn't hurt at all! It feels like a little pinch for a second and when he pulls the needle out i'm fine. Has anyone put the site on their belly? I've only done them on my thighs, I want to try on the belly but i'm afraid it will hurt more. The pump is great, i'm now able to eat again. I lost 16 lbs. before getting the pump and now have gained 6 lbs. back. I was on the reglan pump for a few days but it did nothing but give me a real jittery feeling so they switched me to zofran. I am so thankful for whoever invented this, i'm able to be me again and play with our 3 year old.

firewife221 responded:
TMO- I am a needlephobic as well. I HATE needles with a passion and I can say it is NOT bad at all. If I wasn't chicken I would put the site in myself. If you need it, I would recommend it and since your doctor said you can get it , obviously you need it! How far along are you?

firewife221 responded:
Sorry, I just saw your update. Try asking for reglan. It's not for everyone and it certainly wasn't for me (gave me heebie jeebies/jittery feeling) but it has worked for a lot of women. It can go in your pump as well.

chrystyne226 responded:
I don't know about the zofran pump but I know when I was pregnant with DD2 I needed zofran from 6wks to 4.5mths. It worked. I think you should give a shot if the pill itself isn't working. What you have most likely is what I had and that's hypermesis. Good luck...it gets better.

chrystyne226 responded:
OMG I took reglan with DD1 and it gave me the same exact problem. They don't consider it a reaction but just a side effect and they wanted to give it to me when I was pregnant with DD2 and I fought with them. Thank God for zofran, that's all I can say. And just to let everyone know, it's been on the tv so many times, there's a write-up on reglan. Anyone who's taking it, if they suffer from jittery and nervousness it could be because of the reglan. You could have a sueing case. I really would NOT recommend reglan or even tiglan to anyone for hypermesis. Stick with zofran. I had hypermesis in both pregnancies and if I end up getting pregnant again I'll be sure to get back on zofran. I remember they gave me reglan for the very first time when I was hospitalized through iv...I had the worst anxiety attack I was freaking out and screaming. It was really bad. I'd rather throw up all day than take it ever again.

Emily111111 responded:
I have have Hyperemesis Gravidarum and I do home IV's and IV protonics every day. I can take the zofran, not in the pump, but just as an injection and this works better than any pill. I have a PICC line in my arm so I don't have to stick myself with any needles, etc. I was very afraid to have it inserted, but pleasantly suprised that it did not hurt a bit and it sure beats getting stuck over and over like before I had it. My arms were bruised up and down. I can leave it in my whole pregnancy if need be. It does not hurt to have it removed either. I would highly recommend one if you needed the pump. I could not take reglan, because it gave me horrible anxiety and depression and heart palpitations within a day or 2 of taking it. The protonics work great instead.

SophiasMommy08 responded:
PP does your doctor have you on anything for blood clots with the picc line? My OB was going to put me on in home fluids as well but the company that they used to do them will only do them with a picc line and he said there is a high risk of blood clots so he said he wouldn't suggest doing it. I also had the reglan and zofran pump the reglan didn't really help I still threw up all time and I wasn't on the Zofran long enough to know if it would help. The medicine tends to pool up under your skin and leave hard painful lumps. Mine were getting very very big and were hurting very badly so they switched me back to reglan and I finally gave up after my belly started to stretch and it was painful to put the needle in! At first it wasn't bad though!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Eve for short, I'm 20 years old, DF will turn 21 tomorrow :) We have been together since 2007, and are planning on getting married real...More

Helpful Tips

Common Abbreviations on Pregnancy Exchanges
New to the pregnancy exchanges and wondering what all those abbreviations stand for? Not anymore! Thanks to MNHall, for sorting everything ... More
Was this Helpful?
166 of 216 found this helpful