Is Progesterone Safe??
jpaskon2 posted:
For those of you on progesterone - have you noticed the DO NOT TAKE IF PREGNANT OR NURSING stickers all over the bottle?? I understand it is supposed to keep my progesterone levels up (where my body apparently could not) during the first tri, but is it truly safe??? Can you get too much progesterone? I mean, what if my body is producing it fine and I'm taking the supplements on top of it - can that be harmful? They have not tested me since 5 weeks to see where my levels were so how do they know??

jmwrestler responded:
If your doctor prescribed it, you should be fine, but if you're concerned, give them a call! There's no harm in calling just to say, "hey, I'm just wondering..." You're pregnant! Pregnant women have questions all the time, and they're used to reassuring patients. My OB was telling me the other day that for 10 years she'd told patients things about what they'd experience. Then she got pregnant, and freaked out just like her patients and then felt ridiculous calling her OB. So go ahead and call! I'm sure they'd be happy to put your mind at ease. GL and Baby Dust!

impatiently_waiting responded:
You know I was wondering that same thing! Because I had a miscarrige in Jan, the doc (a different doc, mine of course was out) sent me a prescription of progesterone med called something like promegesis (sp?) and my husband read online that it says not to take if pregnant!!! So we asked the pharmasist and he said too not to take it unless you really trust you doc...and since it was a different doc for me, I left it there. Now today I went to the fertility doc (i've been having trouble ttc, so i finally went to them) and I had blood drawn to check my hcg and progesterone levels and I asked about the med and they said its totally fine to take and they prescribe it all the time! She said when your not prego it helps shed the lining of your uterus but when you are,it just helps boost your progesterone until your body does it on its own.... I'm gana wait until i get my results today then if they recommend it, I guess i will take it! good luck!!!

ab5302008 responded:
My doctor just put me on this 2 nights ago i am 7 weeks! she said to keep a baby going you have to have progesterone! I trust her with my life she is great! my meds are prometrium 200mg at night! good luck. i would have her re check your levels just to make sure but im a little firm sometimes.

naggingwife74 responded:
The reason it says not to take if pregnant is because it increases your hormone levels which in turn really effects your moods and emotions. When you are pregnant you normally don't need help increasing you emotions! I asked my Dr. the same thing and that is what he told me.

However, if I were you I would call your Dr. and request some blood work to check your levels again. If they are normal now he should be taking you off of them.

RCROWE responded:
My dr. prescribed Progesterone for me and she told me that when i got it filled not to freak out about the "DO NOT TAKE IF PREGNANT OR NURSING" label, she said that it is safe to take in the first tri. when your body may have a little trouble producing enough progesterone, But not to take it after the first tri. it is not safe from that point on. I wouldnt worry about it, if your doctor prescribed it then they must think it is going to beneficial to your pregnancy. Good Luck!!!

mrsayers08 replied to ab5302008's response:
I'm 24 weeks along and my Dr put me on the Prometrium 200mg at night as well.

tlkittycat1968 replied to mrsayers08's response:
May I ask why you are responding to a post that is 6 years old? I'm pretty sure the original poster had the baby.