Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

hungry/sick/nothing sounds good
emily8091457 posted:
This is just kind of a vent I guess... I've been feeling pretty crappy... lots of waves of nausea throughout the day. I haven't thrown up yet... but I just feel altogether yucky most of the day. I feel hungry a LOT... and that makes me feel sick. So I need to eat, but nothing sounds good. Like thinking of food makes me want to hurl, but if I don't eat, I feel sick too. I try and just snack on little things that seem tolerable... but it's hard. It's an all day thing. Even after I manage to eat a meal and feel somewhat full (which happens pretty quickly) I'm hungry like an hour later and feeling sick again. Sheesh. :sealed: What are some good benign foods... I mean... nothing that I can think of sounds good to me. I just had some cheese and crackers because it was all that seemed even doable. Oranges sound kinda good I guess... but other than that... I don't know... even that's iffy. :eyeroll:

melvol1 responded:
My only guess would be crackers and sprite if you are not able to stomach much else. When you feel the least bit hungry, take advantage and try to eat something with substance. I was sick for much of the first try during my last pregnancy and lived on sprite, saltines and toast along with my antinausea meds. Turns out my prenatals weren't helping so my OB had me switch to one flintstones chewable. Could that be causing your some of your sickness?

kris7474 responded:
I've been feeling the exact same way. I'm about 11 weeks right now so I'm hoping I'll start to feel better soon. Lately I've been trying to eat foods as bland as possible which seem to help me. Today I've been snacking on plain cherrios and drinking gatorade. Yesterday I snacked on graham crackers and ate spaghetti-o's for dinner! My doctor also prescribed me Zofran which seems to help some. Today is the first day since becoming pregnant that I have not thrown up so far! Sucking on hard candy seems to help me some too. I've been eating lemon heads! I hope you start to feel better soon, I just keep reminding myself that in the long run it will all be worth it.

sharkladydee responded:
I completely understand Emily, I've been the same way. Up until this week I would at least want certain foods, but this week it seems like eating is forced. I am finding that having saltines (I prefer oyster crackers) and ginger ale or sprite whenever I feel the nauseous hunger helps. It also seems to settle my stomach enough that I can convince myself to eat real food.

ewpy responded:
Protein is really the best thing to help. It will keep you fuller longer. I know it may not sound very appitizing but try some nuts or a PB&J or PB&honey.

lovesbug responded:
Oh yeah.. I'm the ultimate grazer over here! I am constantly hungry, but I fill up so quick, then I'm hungry again in no time!! I have been eating a lot of green grapes (Yum! I need more!) pasta, gummy bears, tomatos, green peppers, baby carrots with pb if I'm really feeling frisky.. I try to stay away from dry food like cheese and crackers. It almost makes things worse, feeling like I've got paste in my mouth... But like foods, with slight flavor.. I'm all over it!! Plus that stuff keeps my munchies happy, and my weight down! I'm not shooting to gain 51 lbs again this pregnancy!

211981 responded:
I have been dealing with the same thing. I am hungry, but nothing sounds good this week (not even pizza which sounded amazing last week). I haven't thrown up yet, but I have come close a couple of times. I didn't really feel sick with my first pregnancy so this is new to me. I feel queasy all day long. I cannot force myself to eat bland foods, it makes me feel worse. It is very frustrating and I almost feel like throwing a tantrum when I can't find anything to eat. Just like what my five year does when she gets frustrated . Things that have at least been somewhat edible the last couple of weeks: dill pickles (Claussen), apple juice, doritos. I did have a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich yesterday that tasted amazing even though I didn't think it was going to. I may have that and french fries for dinner tonight.

emily8091457 responded:
Well I'm glad to hear I'm at least not alone with feeling both hungry AND not wanting to eat. It seems I always hear of women having all these cravings... but I have not one... I WISH I had a craving for something just so I could eat something that sounded good and didn't make me want to hurl. :sealed:

rockgrrl responded:
Emily, I'm SO with you! I'm hungry just about all the time, with occasional pangs of absolutely crazy hunger! But *nothing* sounds good to eat. Most of the time I just go through the kitchen, sadly looking at all the foods I used to love, and can't find anything I can stand to eat! Occasionally I'll think of something that sound kind of OK to eat, so I try to jump on that urge and make the most of it. Today I went to the grocery store and saw some raspberries that looked nice and fresh, so I decided to try them along with some Greek yogurt. They turned out to be yummy, and I had a big bowl of it! And after I had that, the kiwis I bought sounded pretty good, so I made a kiwi-banana fruit salad that was also delicious! Then I was full and took a 2-hour nap. I'm up now and am starving but can't find a thing to eat (and my fridge has never been so full - it just all looks gross to me now!). What's up with this schizophrenic appetite thing? I had no idea pregnancy would be like this!

MicheleVH responded:
I'm going through the same things right now. It takes me hours to manage to get anything down when I get up in the morning. Usually I try to start out with a grilled cheese sandwich, potato chips, and a glass of milk. That combination really seems to help settle my stomach for the day. I've also found that I seem to feel sick if I haven't been getting enough fluid so I try a large glass of lightly flavored water and that helps. Suppers are a whole 'nother ballgame. I make what sounds good and then I have a hard time eating it. Tonight was the first night in a long time that I actually found supper enjoyable - we had beef tips and gravy over mashed potatoes. It went down really well! My midwife did tell me that protein or carbs will help but it's sooo hard to do! I keep trying to treat my nausea like the stomach flu even though I know that it's not the same! Pasta is another good one to try. I bought some peanuts last week at the store and have nibbled on them once, have to try and remember that they're in the cupboard. Crackers didn't seem to work for me. I'll occassionally have a peanut butter sandwich as well and that works ok. This is my second but all new to me as I was never sick with my first! ~Michele

Xaylla responded:
I am so sorry you're going through this!! With my DS I couldn't keep anything down! I had the exact same thing, it continued throughout my entire pregnancy. I talked to my dr about it and in my 3rd tri he told me to try flinstone vitamins, I have completely skipped the prenatal vitamins this time and am strictly taking Flinstone Vitamins! :) I've only thrown up a couple times. It's been awesome. I also am hungry all the time and nothing sounds good, but I still have to make dinner for DH, so I end up making him dinner and then making myself toast with peanut butter and honey on it. I have started the cravings though, I watch the food network a lot during the day and so everything they cook looks SO good! It's crazy. My recent craving has been a sandwich from Primanti Brother's Restaurant in Pittsburgh... only problem is that I live in Utah. So that's not exactly a craving I'll ever be able to satisfy! Stupid food network! ;) Hang in there, and turn into a grazer like the rest of us. It does help quite a lot with the nasea. And I know this isn't something your doctor would recommend but skip a day of your prenatals and see if it helps any. Good Luck!! :)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hiya! I'm a mommy of a beautiful 4 year old daughter named Sophia Noel and I have my second on the way. I have been a single mother for most of my...More

Helpful Tips

if i take birth control during my pregnancy will it hurt my baby?
have 2 miscarreds before so im worryed cus i just found out im 9weeks and ive been takeing birth control and would hurt the baby and the ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.