Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

Terrible night sweats
helenasmedquestions posted:
Just wondering if anyone has experienced night sweats during first trimester. I am 45 yrs. old have three older children. Two years ago we were pregnant and then miscarried. I experienced these night sweats during that pregnancy as well. Really- I wake up throughout the night in a puddle! I am currently 5 weeks pregnant. I am really worried that this might be an indication that I'll lose this baby as well? Can anyone share similar experiences? Thanks!

haerae04 responded:
I'm 4 wks & 4 days and I also am having terrible night sweats. I have also had a miscarriage, but I don't remember having them with him. I just assumed - I am a hot natured person anyways, I am always hot, but in bed I have been waking up to my shirt being soaked. Just part of it sometimes, I think.. I rather to sleep without a shirt, but I have a 2 yr old that still sleeps with us & he quit nursing about 4 months ago, he's still obsessed with them :pbpt: so I have to sleep with a shirt & a bra on, ugh.

eaglesgirl7m responded:
I am 6wks and as of this past Thursday everything was fine. But yes, I wake up drenched in sweat too, its just because your body is working harder with a baby growing and developing inside of you, some people have them and some don't, its not a sign of anything bad, just how certain people's body reacts to the extra body eat and activity. Just stay positive and know that everything happens for a reason, God has a plan, and its in His hands. Worrying is the worst thing you can do, and if all else fails, try not to take message boards online as your final word, call your clinic and ask, they'll be more than happy to answer your questions.

ralababy responded:
I am also having awful night sweats. I wake up about the same time (4am-ish) every night, soaked. I am 41 and have 1 child, who is 8 yrs old. I have never miscarried, but I too am very worried about these sweats, along with the cramps I keep having. I didn't have these when I was pregnant the 1st time (which I carried to only 32 weeks). I'm 5 wks now and I planned on asking the doc about it on my first visit, but its not til the 17th. I tried doing a search for night sweats and pregnancy but had no luck. Please post a note if you find out anything and I'll do the same. I'm hoping its just another side effect of the raging hormones. Thanks

emrayld responded:
I usually got night sweats before I was pg, and now, I'm about 8wks, and its worse than its ever been. I think as long as you don't have a fever, its fine, it really is just how our bodies handle it :smile:

GarfieldFerdinand replied to emrayld's response:
Hi. I had night sweats right before I found out I was pregnant the first time a few months ago... that pregnancy ended in miscarriage at 5w3d... however my body did not release the pregnancy until 9w3d which is when I started bleeding and cramping... We waited 4 cycles to try again... I had night sweats again a week before I found out I was pregnant this time. Currently I am 6w5days but when I went for an ultrasound on Wed... the tech said my yolk sac measured around 5w3d and not to worry. I've been worrying because my hcg isn;t rising as quickly as it should, my progesterone was low but I was put on prometrium and I had some cramping and back pain around 5w3d.... sure enough- I started bleeding this morning and my second miscarriage is happening right now. I am devastated. I don't think night sweats are a good sign. That is my experience and my opinion. Then again, I didnt go to school for this stuff so what do I know... I'm so sad now. Big let down. I am 34 and will be 35 in a month.

GarfieldFerdinand replied to GarfieldFerdinand's response:
Just wanted to add that I have never had night sweats before in my entire life ever... the only time I had them was when I became pregnant. That's how I knew a week before my period was due that I conceived- because I had night sweats jut like the first time I got pregnant.

I'm pretty certain if things are matching up with what is considered normal doubling hcg and normal progest lvels - something might be up .. ie: impending miscarriage...

also- with both pregnancies that I've had... I took home pregnancy tests (hpt) from 5 days before my missed period every day up to a week AFER my missed period and all came up negative... it was about 8 days after my missed period that the hpt showed a and then when I had the blood work done my hcg was still fairly low... 200 or so... it doubled up to 480 and then it only went up to 740 then it doubled up to 1440 and then it only crawled up 100 points to 1500 or so... thats when I knew we were in trouble and of course the proges level started off at 8.8 which is too low and then dropped to a 5 - when it gets to 5 tht means miscarriage is inevitable. So there you go. Very sad. This sucks. I still thnk we will try agai though in a few months... maybe June or July. We'll see.

GarfieldFerdinand replied to GarfieldFerdinand's response:
meatn to say if things are NOT matching up with normal hcg and progest. levels. sorry.

Shani_girl replied to haerae04's response:
Haerae,
How did you wean your son? I am having a really hard time weaning my 13 month old, I didn't plan on weaning this soon but since I'm PG I have to. Just hoping you have some tips for me!
Thanks,
Shannon

roni090909 responded:
I had them with my first DS and last night I had my first with this pregnancy. My first DS is perfectly healthy so I would try not to think that its a negative thing, its just something that happens.

indogirl_yr273 replied to emrayld's response:
I was having lots of sweats at the beginning...now im about 6 wks and the sweating is slowing down...and now i'm scared bc i had miscarriage 6 months ago...at the beginning the sweating was crazy...and down to losing the baby the sweating is slowing down. I just hope this is not the case again.... :(

foward responded:
Helena- what happened??

zz2004 responded:
I definitely have had night sweats this entire week!!! I sleep damn near naked and I still wake up drenched!

Brianna914 replied to GarfieldFerdinand's response:
Lurking from 3rd tri....

I'm so sorry for your loss Garfield,.....I've had night sweats before pregnancy because of fluctuating Progesterone levels. It was like I was going thru menopause at 28! Anyway, I remember them being an issue with my first PG as well as with this one. I was told that because your body temp rises slightly during PG it could be that you are simply overheating during the night using the same blankets and whatnot you've always used.

I wake up freezing!!! And all wet! Ewww. Turns out this is your body's way of preventing overheating especially of the fetus....HTH.

Brianna (29) DH (27) DS (6) #2 EDD May 27th!! Anya Celeste!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Cara and DB and I have been trying to conceive for over a year now and it's finaly happened. We are very excited yet a little nervous b...More

Helpful Tips

Juice out hunger
Because I can't eat all the suggested fruits and vegetables daily I juice them. That takes the hunger away and I eat a meal about 8pm. It ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.