Skip to content

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

FLU SHOT IN 1ST TRIMESTER
IsabellaMommy22706 posted:
hey ladies this has come up before just wanted some more opinions, I am currently TTC I am getting the flu shot on 10/13 and with trying to conceive I may become pregnant before getting the shot or after, anyone Dr ok with them getting the flu shot during first tri and anyone dr give any advice on the H1N1 shot yet? Thanks Melanie

mitimidget responded:
Isabella-- It's perfectly safe to get the flu shot in the first trimester. I got mine 3 weeks ago and I was 8w3d. Just make sure to get the shot that is preservative free. Also my OB said the H1N1 shot was safe to take as well. In fact, when it comes out in my area a plan on getting that one too, as long as I can get the preservative free shot. Hope this helps! :smile: Angie :smile:

Macksmom0724 responded:
I called my OB on this this morning, because they are giving the shot free at work. I'm 6w along. They told me not in the 1st Trimester and that goes for the H1N1 shot as well. HTH Jen

Parents2BRnervous responded:
Hello, Great question. Our doc. says the flu shot is fine during pregnancy. Were 8weeks and work with kids and have been going back and forth on this.. We decided not to get it, but it's said to be perfectly safe since its been given to pregnant women for several years now and no links to any problems. H1N1- Be careful. VERY new vaccine. Even doc said that, but thinks it should be OK.

mellybean1980 responded:
My OB has encouraged me to get both shots as soon as they're available...and most articles on the subject put pregnant women at the top of the list for both vaccines. I read today that pregnant women account for 6% of the deaths caused by the H1N1 virus - so I'll be getting that shot as soon as I can. Apart from keeping you healthy...it protects the baby for the first few months after their born as well. Just something to consider. To Angie...what is a preservative free shot and how do you know if that's what you're getting?? And if it has preservatives...what's the risk associated w/that?

mitimidget responded:
mellybean1980-- the flu shot that I was given was the one that is thermisol free (that's the perservative in the regular flu shot), and the way to tell if you are getting it is that it's in a single dose vial. I got mine at the local Walgreen's in my area.

Ingawahkiki responded:
The way my doc explained it is that it depends heavily on timing. They would rather you DID NOT get it in the first tri. HOWEVER (and this is a big however) this is the timing of the year that is a little tricky. If you concieved now, they would probably tell you to go ahead and get it anyway. If you concieved now and waited until the 2nd tri...you would be through the worst of the flu season. What good would that do. There are risks getting it in the first tri, but they are VERY VERY slight, and the benefits of actually getting a shot in time highly outweight them. I would say go ahead and get it, but let the tech know you are TTC. There are three types of vaccine. DO NOT take the spray, and DO NOT take the kind that sre mixed on the spot. Make sure they give you the pre-packaged kind. The spray is a live virus, and the ones they mix there have high mercury contents. If you're still unsure, I would call your doc. They will give you hte best advice. HTH

jlg08 responded:
they are giving them at my doc office and the nurse was pressuring me to get (which made me mad) i asked my midwife and she said to wait until after the first trimester. they also only give the kind without the preservative, id say if you arent pregnant yet to go ahead and get it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! My name is Lydia. My DH and I have been married for a year May 30. We started TTC in November and got our BFP on 4/18/2010. This will be my sec...More

Helpful Tips

Pregnancy and flying
Can anyone help me out?! I'm 29 weeks pregnant and its not a high risk pregnancy, i was wondering if anyone here has ever flew while ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.