Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Congratulations on your BFP! Welcome to YOUR community!

Be sure to check out:

I just feel so fat!
Luxe383 posted:
So I am 11 weeks today, and I think I am starting to show. But not really, not like a baby bump, I just look/feel fat! This is a frustrating phase! This is my absolute first pregnancy, so I'm sure everyone has gone through this, where it is not evident that you are pregnant yet but your belly is definitely getting thicker. Its crazy because I have actually lost 7 pounds from being so sick over the past two months - yet my stomach is just hanging out there! I have been wearing scarfs to work that hang down over my stomach in front (people don't know there yet).

It is really cutting down on which clothes I can and cannot wear, and all of my pants fit terribly right now. But I am not ready for maternity pants yet either. Fortunately I am on vacation for the next two weeks so I don't have to deal with my work dress clothes for now, but even my jeans are giving me trouble.

What do you all do to get through this phase? Just wear loose/baggy clothing? And what can I do about these pants?!?!?!

juju_9 responded:
Buy a bella band! It is a band that goes over your pants so you don't have to button or zip them. It's for that inbetween stage of maternity pants and still being able to wear your normal pants, just unzipped!!! I was able to wear most of my normal pants through out my entire last pregnancy just with a bella band. I think you can find them at target or motherhood maternity. Maybe under different names? They normally come in black, nude and white.

Kay_And responded:
Somebody told me that in their first trimester they looped a hair tie around the the button of their jeans then through the whole on the other side and around the button again....and wore longer shirts to cover it.

I'm only 4 weeks but I'm really bloated (at least I feel like I'm really bloated) and my pants are fitting snugger....wong be long before I have to try something!

I had put on about 10lbs before I found out I was pg....so my pants are ALREADY fitting snug....ahhhhhh....

prdmama responded:
Im only 5 weeks and i'm already there! I haven't gained any weight but i'm so BLOATED! Also, i just lost a bunch of weight but i wasn't to my "ideal" yet, so i only have one pair of pants that fit at the moment, and didn't buy anymore cuz i still had weight to loose and i got rid of all my fat pants!

Kinda screwed, i'm going to look for maternity clothes after Christmas i guess

Joshy106 responded:
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one this is happening to. I also had gained about 10 lbs before I got pregnant so now I am totally uncomfortable with all my clothes and I feel like I look so sloppy, it's so frustrating. Luckily I already bought the belly band but I'm in denial of using it. I may not have a choice tomorrow.

jenhambl responded:
I absolutely can relate- I'm only at week 7 but I've been bloated and constipated and just feel mushy and huge, and my pants are already starting to feel tight around the middle. A friend of mine started up a line of belly bands that are really cute called Yummy:

www.liveyummy.com/

I'm hoping to get mine in the next few weeks, and am excited to finally be able to support her by wearing mine around town!

dwaw02 responded:
Actually, you might want to go try on some mat pants. I found some at Target last pg that fit me from 10-11w to about 6m. I bought a couple of pairs and they were so much more comfy. Lots better than struggling to fit into pants that don't fit anymore.

I don't know what your dress is at work, but I'm finding suit jackets to be great camo. The way they hang makes it not noticable from the side.

ttrishh responded:
for my first pregnancy I bought a few pairs of the then and now pants from Thyme maternity, They where great until about 5 months, then again right after I had the baby. I just caved in and pulled out my old maternity cloths and I was so happy to find them again, They are so comfortable, and they stay up!

peachyisthelife responded:
Yeah I'm already in that horrible awkward phase. Being my 3rd, I already have pooch under my belly button and I definitely just look fat right now, at 9w. I tried the rubber band trick but that doesn't work when you have an actual pooch, as the zipper won't stay zipped over the pooch. I'm a stay at home mom so I don't need to wear nice clothes too often, but i only have one pair of yoga pants! Next time I wear jeans, I'll try my bella band and hope that works. I definitely don't want to wear maternity pants already, either. Since we're not announcing the pregnancy till 2nd tri, I'll just try to get away with baby doll type tops when I go to church and such. Others probably won't notice anyway, but I'm not a fan of belly right now lol. It will get better!

Luxe383 responded:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one going through this! I am finally breaking down and looking at maternity pants online and I might go shopping today.

I guess I am also in sort of denial about showing already, I know this sounds really stupid but one of my good friends is also pregnant right now, she is due March 22. She literally just started showing within the last month. She had a completely flat stomach through the first and most of second trimester!

I know that every woman's body is different and I need to not worry about it, as long as my baby is healthy and growing in there I really don't care what I look like.

Becka4prez responded:
I am feeling fat too at 8 weeks! Last week I was totally bloated and nothing was fitting right! I tried eating much smaller meals and snacks and that helped alot with the bloating and I feel almost back to "normal." The pooch I already had seems to be getting roundish looking, but my jeans fit very low, right under it, so I'm not too worried at this point. I have a bella band too (got it at Target) and am ready to use it once the pooch gets out of control.

YummyYammy replied to jenhambl's response:
Jen, Unfortunately for your purposes, www.LIVEYummy.com is now my site, and it is where I promote a phone / online course to "fall in love with the food that will help you fall in love with your life".

Maybe you want to post a different site for your friend's bands?

Best of luck,
Lisa, Yumbassador at LIVEYummy

Spotlight: Member Stories

Baby #2 is on the way! We have a wonderful, beautiful, bouncing baby girl who is 19 months old and just found out that we are expecting, again! My Hu...More

Helpful Tips

Juice out hunger
Because I can't eat all the suggested fruits and vegetables daily I juice them. That takes the hunger away and I eat a meal about 8pm. It ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.