Skip to content
Blood incompatibility: Anti-c
rbullen posted:
I am 8 weeks pregnant with my third child. We were just told that I have the anti-c antigen and that it could cause a severe reaction to our child. We have been doing research and it is quite frightening. I wonder if there are others out there who might reassure us or just share honest experiences with this... I did not have it at the beginning of either two previous pregnancies. However, when they tested my blood just prior to delivering my second child (via c-section) they discovered the antigen. Our second child was born with a slight case of jaundice but nothing worrisome. I get so freaked out when I hear things like... might need prenatal transfusions....could be stillborn...

crystalann13 responded:
Hi there, I am not sure but I think what you have is the same as or similar to what I have. RH negative blood. Not to scare you but this caused me to have a M/C @ 8 weeks the first time. I had no idea then as to what my blood type had to do with being pregnant. That was untill I ended up in the ER waiting room, chatting with another woman in their for the exact same thing. It was crazy to me. So now I am 14 weeks exactly today. I have my blood work done every 4 weeks to check my antibody titer count. This is to make sure my Titer levels are low and my blood is not trying to fight off the baby. I have to get a Rhogam shot at about 27 weeks then one right after I deliver. Yeah everything I have read about RH disease really scares the hell out of me. When I was 8 weeks I didn't have much hope for this pregnancy, I just thought my blood would kill the baby again. I am just hoping for the best and so far everything is going well! I have noticed that in all of the discussion boards, no one ever mentions blood type or problems relating to your RH factor. It is super important to know this BEFORE you get pregnant. Good luck, and stay on top of your blood work. I have known 3 other woman that had this problem with their blood and their babies were just fine.

marcandkeileyarethebest responded:
hello i know alot about rh neg factor you see in 1970 i had a brother who passed away from this but let me tell u once the doctor finds out u have that rh neg blood they keep a real close eye on you and baby my brothers passing probly had a lot to do with rh neg helping all the people out. today my mom donate his body to the hosiptal so they could study rh neg any way i hadnt been pg in 8 yrs and i am now i went back for my pg now and low and behold they had a big rh factor on my chart fom 8 yrs ago so try not to stress is what im trying to say they came a long way treatments are better now then ever back then they deliver mrk at 7 months gave him transfunsion and he only urivd foe 2 days sorry if this is upseting but i just wanted to let u know everything will be all right

337mom responded:
Rbullen,

Please try to relax. Trust me, I know that is hard to do with what you have just been told. My dh and I have the BAC antigen incompatibility. To date, only our first born had low platelets and we are not even sure if it had to to with the incompatibility or the stress of her birth. That said, you should be talking with a high risk dr about the odds of your particular incompatibility to harm your baby. Dr. James Bussell in NYC wrote the book on this problem so if your dr could consult with him at all it would be good. I know for a fact that the PLA antigen is the really dangerous one that almost always leads to fetal demise if not treated. Get educated in regards to yours and get some good blood work done. Not just typical send to the local lab. You want it to go to a special lab in Milwaukee WI I think. Also, from what I had read, 7 years ago the transfusions start around 15 weeks, so I think you may have time to figure without having to rush headlong into very, very did I mention very expensive treatments and proceedures. The dr who diagnosed me first was scheduling the transfusions and really freaked me out. I spoke with my reg OB and he referred me to another high risk dr who was cautious, but wanted to verify more before jumping into treatment. In the end I had a PUBS at 32 weeks(a lot safer than 15 wks) and extra sonos. I have successfully delivered 3 more children since, none of which were affected.

I hope I have been able to ease your worries a bit. FWIW, go to a medical college library and do your research there. So much better than the internet IMO. Feel good and take care of yourself.

Pam

mygirrlz responded:
I've just entered my 3rd tri of my 2nd pregnancy with anti C, anti D, anti G, jka to say the least. My 1st pregnancy we found out @ 28wks of the antibodies. my daughter was born at 36wks and PERFECT! this pregnancy is different. c and d arrived at 8wk bld work. we r followed by high risk with mca dopplers each wk. we were doing perfectly fine until this wk. next week we are going to have 1st intrauterine bld transfusion!! We researched so much prior to getting pregnant again and were well prepared, but when u r actually faced with the facts, your world changes very quickly! we r petrified of all the risks and the outcome. My advice to anyone going through this is to be your own baby's advocate, stay on top of your bld work, demand your wkly mca's and stay positive!! I found an expert in Texas Dr Moise who has written numerous articles on this and works out of The Fetal Center in Houston. He is wonderful and gave us great advice, even though we r not his patient! Without him, my husband & I would not know we were anti G pos and still need Rhogam for this pregnancy! my docs insisted there was no such Anti G, but we demanded the bld work be done and surprise!! We tested positive. They also genotyped my hus to assess the fetal risk of passing on anti c and d. that helps the docs determine possibly severity for the baby. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL AND STAY POSITIVE!

SCoates33 replied to mygirrlz's response:
I'm trying to understand the different red cell antibodies and heard of a study for them. Is it Dr. Levy Moise in Houston TX?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 24 years old and just had my first Laprascopic surgery. My OBGYN found 2 uterus 2 cervix I have a Didelphic Uterus. Ive had chronic cramps dur...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.