Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes Type 1
desidale posted:
Hi. I am not a first time mom but want to be a second time mom. I am a type 1 and was through my first pregnancy. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting to be pg again because I had such a horrible first one. I guess what I was looking for was someone to kinda go through this with me. I ahve my husband and my family but no one really understands unless you have the disease and are pregnant. So if there is anyone out there trying to get pregnant with having diabetes or is newly pregnant and has diabetes, introduce yourself to me. I feel like I am going to need the support more than some because I am going to have to go off my zoloft too and I don't know how I am going to handle that. Waiting for a Friend,
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Desidale,

While I don't have type 1, I am just now diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes and I'd love to chat with you, also I am sure you are not alone at all in this, you may want to check out our Type 1 Diabetes Support Group board.

Take care and please keep coming here to chat, I'd love to chat with you!

woody1983 responded:
HI

I have Type 1, have had it fo 15 years and I am 8 weeks pregnant. This is my first and I am scared. I would love to talk on here! I have a few friends who are Type 1 but you're right, unless your preggoyou just dont understand! Look forward to talking

Carrie

liltlc responded:
Hi,

I'm a type 1 as well. I've been diabetic for 31yrs now and studied it in school. I'm pg with #2 and I go Friday for a dating u/s. I think I'm about 7 weeks right now.

Yes being pg with type 1 is different but very manageable. You just have to realize it's nothing like when you're not pg. At least for me anyway. You have the first tri BS roller coaster b/c of your hormones going nuts which drove me nuts with all the adjustments and of course all the extra BS testing which just becomes the new norm. I have a few extra factors to worry about as I developed an insulin allergy 3 yrs ago. Technically it's not the insulin but the binding agents they add when they make the human synthetic insulin. So things get more than a little complicated with me as I need more insulin. But it's so worth it in the end.

I look forward to chatting with you ladies as we go through our big adventure.

Also I can always be found on the Over 35 Pregnancy boards if you want to chat about something specific or just about being pg with diabetes in general.

Tammy

desidale responded:
I would like to thank all you ladies for getting back to me. I am not pg yet I still need to get my BS under control. I think the reason that I am really freaked out this time is because my last pregnancy was the worst nine months of my life with the best ending ever. After that I swore that I would never get pg again, but the time in my life is just so perfect. It just feels right. Have any of you ladies been super sick with morning sickness? I was last time and I was hoping that it wasn't related to being diabetic and that this time it may be different. My husband is also extremely worried because of all the health complications that can happen to the baby. I try to console him and tell him that I am going to do everything I can to keep myself and the baby healthy, but he can be so sinical sometimes. Any suggestions there? Well let me know what you ladies think. And thank you again.

Kristy1019 responded:
Hi! I am just checking out this board for the 1st time, but I hang over on the 2nd Trimester Board currently. I am a Type I diabetic, pregnant with my 1st baby, and SO FAR it has been fairly smooth sailing. I know that I could experience numerous complications down the line, but I'm hoping with everything I have to avoid the scary ones and have a healthy baby. I got on an insulin pump after 9 years of only using shots, before we started trying to conceive, and it's been the best thing I've ever done for this disease. My sugars have been pretty good, and since getting pregnant, my Endocrine is just keeping a close eye on my levels to avoid complications there. I'm a little over 14 weeks and have had no morning sickness, no heartburn, or any other of the standard annoyances. I consider myself lucky so far. My little Peanut is doing great as of now (hopefully it continues this way).

Obviously every person and every situation is different. The best advice I could give (and I'm sure you know this already) is just to make sure you have strict control over your diabetes before getting pregnant, and find a great team of doctor's to help you through. Good luck! I hope everything works out for you!

liltlc responded:
Hi,

Like Kristy I am on a pump and highly recommend it. It makes adjustments sooooo much easier. I wish I hadn't waited so long.

As for morning sickness it isn't related to being diabetic it's just one of those things that is different with every pregnancy. With DD I never had any pg symptoms and felt really good. This time around I have severe m/s and I'm on the prescription meds. Definitely not fun, but with the pump it's very manageable insulin and blood sugar-wise. I'm just like any of the other moms hoping some for relief. I was just told to have honey or hard candies on hand if I was feeling particularly rough and couldn't keep the food I'd already taken insulin for in my tummy.

As for complications with the baby as long as you have strict control, again the pump is a great tool for that, your body will be just like any other womens. It really is all about control. Make sure while you are gearing up to TTC that you start taking your prenatal vitamins and an additional 4mg of folic acid everyday to prepare your body. 5mg total daily folic acid is the new recommendation for type 1 diabetics as of 18 months ago and it looks like it's already changing to that for all women TTC. Also eating a balanced diet and exercising now so that you are at your healthiest once you become pg b/c as you know most women are about 5 weeks along before they find out and the organs are already starting to form at that point.

As for your husband I suggest taking him along to an appt with your endo where you can discuss TTC and having a baby and the risks to both you and the baby. That way he can get all the info he needs to feel comfortable about the decision to have another child.

HTH

Tammy

LiliBeth69 responded:
Hi. I have type 1 as well. I had my first baby 6 years ago and want to become pregnant again. However, my husband does not want even though he goes crazy for another. He thinks I might die if I become prego and since my first labor was so intensive due to that I develop pre-eclampsia. I am a bit upset at the fact that he is not participating in me becoming prego again. Maybe you or we could develop a plan how to convince our husband of suh.

Thanks and Take Care,

desidale responded:
I had to convince my hubby as well but instead of just talking to him I went ahead and proved that I was ready for it. I increased my blood sugar checks, I started checking almost every 2 hours while I was up and then at least once sometimes twice at night. I also scheduled the consultations with the Dr.'s at a time that he could go with. We talked with the Dr. together and he got all his questions answered that I couldn't and he agreed to have another. ever since we got on the same boat he has been wanting to do the deed everyday, sometimes twice a day. Whenever we can fit it in. I just had my pap yesterday and got my IUD removed so we can officially start trying. I am so excited and nervous all at the same time. I started lowering my zoloft so I'm starting to have some withdrawls. Does anyone have any remedies for anti-depressant withdrawl symptoms? Also I have been on a pump for about 2 years and I love it. I would like to get a constant monitor but my ins. wont cover it. Any ideas in how to get the ins. to cover it?

LadieKae responded:
Hello! I am a first time newly pregnant mom! i am about 8w.4d today. and I am super scared about everything! i am an extremely nervous preggo lady!! my Fiance' is probly just as nervous about everything that i am. lol. my doc told me that i will need to go to see him every 2 weeks! and that scares me i think more than anything! i dont like doctors at all!! eep! im glad i found this message bord n feel free to contact me whenever! it has taken me 4 years to get pregnant. So i am super happy and excited and nervous in the same. but my doc said everything looks good! and the heart rate of my baby is 150

ktdubey responded:
Hello!! I am so glad I came across this message board! I am a type 1 diabetic and am trying to concieve (excuse my lack of abbreviations- I am new @ this!). My husband and I have been trying this past month, I bought one of those ovulating tests and we have basically been trying EVERY day since I have been off of my period, but I realize that probably wasn't the best idea- it is very tiring!! But we did try on the days the test told me I was ovulating. Has anyone had any complications trying to concieve being a type 1 diabetic?? Please, anymore stories/ helpful hints are needed and appreciated!! I am so excited to finally be doing this- I have wanted it for years! Anyone end up with a child with any congenital birth defects?? All stories- good and bad- are welcome. Thank you so much, I love knowing there are other people out there just like me!

Jeter_Fan responded:
Hi Desidale,

I have been type 1 for almost 19yrs and am about 91/2 weeks pregnant with my first. I also have gone off of my zoloft to do this, although the doc said it was ok to take, I wanted to.

You are completely right about nobody understanding unless they have diabetes. I would love to chat with you and I'm sure as things progress I will pick your brain about what is going on with my sugars!

We started trying back in June 08, had an early miscarraige in Dec 08 and took about a year to get pregnant again after that. The whole time I've been able to keep my a1c under 6.5, for the first time ever in my life it's been under 7.

So I'm here to listen and talk....let me know if you want to be my friend

luttia replied to Jeter_Fan's response:
hi i have type 1 . i just want to tell u that im 18 weeks today and still doing fine. just need to be @ hospital every 2nd week for checkups. i have 2 lovely sons 1 aged 10 and the other aged 6 they where just very big @36 weeks and i had a c section but both of them are healthy . just enjoy my sugar level once went up to 10 and they just increase mt insulin

luttia replied to LadieKae's response:
dont be scared although it natural just want to tell u i am 18 weeks and doing fine .baby is healthy went for ultrasound .just look after your diet and everything will be ok ,see that your readings always between 5 or 6 . hope to hear from u soon alway be happy and baby will be happy .enjyo your pregnancy as im chatting i can feel movement just want to tell u it can be u very soon feeling your little one moving around inside u . mwah

momtojj replied to desidale's response:
Hi I am 21 wks pregnant with my second child and have been type I dm for 20 yrs. I was able to get my ins to pay for continuous glucose monitor prior to getting pregnant this time. Even though most doctors say ins won't cover it, I had Minimed contact my ins and told them I was planning on getting pregnant again. They approved it on the first time without any problem. It has made a big difference in my blood sugar control this time around. Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have Type 2 Diabetes and pregnant with my first child. My fiancee and I are too excited. He thought that he couldn't have kids and then this mir...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 23 found this helpful