Skip to content
umbilical vein varix
MonMarler posted:
I'm new here...I'm 20 weeks, 4 days along with my third child and was diagnosed yesterday with umbilical vein varix. Information on the web can be scary to read, and my doctors don't know anything about it. I have to wait 3 weeks to see a specialist to do another ultrasound between 24-25 weeks. Has anyone had this, or know anyone who had this?
Diane8715 responded:
My daughter is 27 weeks..this is her first pregnancy..she was just diagnosed with the Umbilical Vein Varix...Up until a few days ago everything was fine..Her doctor as well has never had a patient with this...she's been delivering babies for 35 yrs..we are so very scared with all that we read..she had an appt with a high risk doctor at LIJ hospital here in have you made out...please let me know.. all my best..
MonMarler replied to Diane8715's response:
I hope your daughter and her baby will be okay!! I actually am going in September 23rd, 2011 to be induced, and she will be 2 weeks early. Her lungs will be mature enough that they aren't worried about her being early. I went and saw the specialist, who told me there was NO verix. I went back to my regular OB and about a month later I requested another u/s. Call it a gut feeling or intuition, but I was still concerned. At that u/s the tech STILL saw it, so my regular OB recommended biweekly testing...a BPP, which is an ultrasound that checked 4 different aspects with the baby, and a non stress test, to check her heartbeat during fetal movements. I had one failed NST, meaning she just was NOT moving enough to their liking, which was followed by a BPP, and she scored 6/8 on that u/s. Each of the four aspects of the BPP are worth 2 points. The next week she aced the NST and scored 8/8 on the BPP. Nothing can be seen on any u/s as far as deformities or defects, so I can only hope and pray that that is the case, and we'll find out in 2 days. The office I go to is in a respected hospital, and they said they have only seen ONE other case of this, found after mine, and this lady is still pregnant.... During the u/s they will continue to measure the verix, and if it gets too big, they will induce or do a c-section when they think the lungs are mature enough, or if there is a significant enough risk to the baby. My advice to your daughter would be to go with her instincts. If something seems to good to be true, or just doesn't "feel" right, please be firm and demand further testing/evaluation. It will not hurt to get another opinion and see what is going on! The information online is down right scary, what info is out there, but just try to stay calm, because you all don't need the stress. Please keep in touch and let me know how your daughter and her baby are doing, and I will let you know how my delivery is and if there are any complications from the verix.
Take care!
MonMarler replied to MonMarler's response:
Everything went okay, the only major problem was that the cord was wrapped around her neck during delivery. The doctor examined the cord and placenta after her birth and could find nothing wrong with it. I will continue to pray for your daughter and her baby! Let me know how it goes!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am almost 25 years old and i have a 4 year old daughter and a daughter who was born on march 9th at 31 weeks, she was born sleeping.. i was diagnose...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.