Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Progesterone and pregnancy... side effects?
jtl1984 posted:
This is my 5th pregnancy. I lost the first 3 before 9 weeks and then I had my son in 2008 17 weeks early and he didn't survive. My OB is not waiting and is putting me on a Progesterone cream, used daily, until I am 12-14 weeks along and then I will be moved to a weekly Progesterone injection at 16 weeks. I have been told that the Progesterone is going to make me sick. I was just wondering if anyone else has had to use this stuff and what can I expect? Did it work to support your pregnancy??

kladybug45 responded:
I have a similar situation I have had 5 losses before 9 weeks and one last year at 22 weeks. My doctor started me on Progesterone shots at 16 weeks. I have never felt sick after receiving a shot ,however, everyone is different and I have heard some people get a little sick after. The only side effect I have had are some not so pleasant pretty intense mood swings! Overall I do believe that the shots have helped me maintain my pregnancy, I am almost 35 weeks now and very excited. Although, it has been a rollercoaster of a ride, I have been admitted twice to stop labor, and 3 times a week doctor's appts. NST's, weekly ultrasounds,cervical checks, and 5 months of bedrest, it has all been worth it! I hope that helps and I want to let you know that there is hope!

Spotlight: Member Stories

On April 4th (Easter Sunday)2010, I went into labor at 22 weeks and delivered a beautiful baby boy I named Bryce. He lived for three hours before he d...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful