Skip to content
small pelvis
An_217354 posted:
hello
i want an answer from an obstetricion or a doctor only please!

I do not want just opinions from women who had babies. Unless you state your hip-waist measurements, body type, weight and vitals signs relevant to birth so I can compare your situation to me clearly.

Okay, my question is, at what point do doctors decide a women is too small to have a baby vaginally. I do not believe, anymore, the midwives who say all women can have a baby vaginal regardless of her size. That is not very logical and they do not have concrete proof of that.

I had one baby vaginally and it was very traumatic for me and my baby. I had all midwives in the hospital delivering him. No ob saw me in the hospital (until after the delivery). these midwives were like military women, "fight, you can do this" "push harder" "do not give up". I do not know why they could not see on my face that I could not handle it. And why they ignore the fact that my body is glaring obviously not made for delivery.

I have and always have been cursed with a boys figure. my waist is actually bigger than my hips. so there is room for my baby to grow big like a normal woman can grow a baby. but I do not have hips as big as a normal women. I think my baby can tell that there is no way to be born through my hips.

I am 8 months pregnant now in fact, 37 weeks, and the baby is not trying to come down or be born...and i have 38 inch hips now, which is the size of a teenager. not a childbearing women.

so is a c section better for me?
I tried vaginal last time and i have incontinence to this day (3 years later) despite doing regular kegals.

phoenix31674 responded:
There aren't any doctors who monitor this forum, and I doubt any of them could give you a good answer without examining you. Besides hips can stretch during labor because of the hormones. The best person to talk to is your doctor, but if you feel that you aren't up to a vaginal birth again because of your history last time, you can ask for a c-section. The doc should be able to medically justify it to your insurance since you have given birth before.

my daughter had an abnormally large head (off the percentile chart) and wasn't budging vaginally despite me having 'good hips'. She was in distress and the medical team recognized it and went in to get her. i had a son 3.5 years vaginally, but he has a normal sized noggin. But the doc was monitoring that based on my daughter's large head and would have told me if it wasn't looking good for a vaginal with him.

If you do go for the c-section, it would be worth discussing the incontinence with your doc. They can check things out in there and see if there's something that needs to be 'fixed'. Some people have bladders prolapse after pregnancy which can cause incontinence.

lisa1980grant replied to phoenix31674's response:
Thank-you for your detailed and intelligent reply.
I appreciate that you were objective and did not judge me for considering a c section.
I just did not want to have many people start make a tangent discussion. I do not want an irritating, non-factual discussion on the merits of vaginal birth, which I have read a thousand times and I understand all that clearly.
I will ask the doctor when I deliver for the most safe deliver for me and my baby, and let them know I would rather have a c section early before problems occur, then suffer for many hours and take epidurals, pitocin and all that garbage just to have a "feeling of accomplishing" a vaginal birth.
To me, a birth is beautiful. it does not matter if it is vaginally or cesarian or a test tube baby!!

phoenix31674 replied to lisa1980grant's response:
Your last sentence is key, the goal of the birth is healthy mom and healthy baby. Some folks seem to have lost sight of that when pushing what they think is right. For me vbac was right, but I know not everyone woman feels that way. You know your body better than anyone.

Just be prepared for the recovery, which is roughly six weeks of lifting nothing heavier than the baby. and make sure you let the older kid know that you won't be able to pick him/her up for a while and that mommy will be sore ahead of time to help with that adjustment.

snh571 responded:
I had they same type of delivery as you did. Me and my DS almost died in the delivery room. I am having a c-sexton this time. I was told by my OB that unless I delivered at 32 weeks or before I would have to have a section. I would push your delivery preferences with your doc. I have a different OB this time and he was hesatant to do the section until I had him talk to the OB who delivered my DS. My old OB dosent do deliveries anymore but she is still in the same office. After that conversation he had no issues with complying with my demands for a section. And I do mean demands. It's your life and that of your chld you have the right to make the decisions about how you deliver. I still have the incontinance 7 years later and Post tramatic stress disorder from my last delivery.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to snh571's response:
Hello ladies! Here is my view on things. When children are playing on the playground in school or walking across the stage getting a diploma or getting married, can you tell who was delivered vaginally? For that matter, can you tell who was breast fed or bottle fed?

Choices we make for our children are important - but made up of thousands of factors!

Best of luck!

Haylen

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am almost 25 years old and i have a 4 year old daughter and a daughter who was born on march 9th at 31 weeks, she was born sleeping.. i was diagnose...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.