Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ultrasounds
candy352 posted:
This is my first pregnancy. I hear that for high risk pregnancies, mommy has to have more ultrasounds than a regular pregnancy. What I want to know is how often does one have ultrasounds with a high risk pregnancy. I have had 2 so far and am 9 weeks.

snh571 responded:
Normaly you will have one every 3-4 weeks. It really depends on why you are high risk. I have cronic hypertention and gestational diabeties so I have them done every 4 weeks on the average. I am also over 35 so that adds to the number of visits. I had 1 US at what we thought was 8 weeks and it turned out to be 12 weeks. Then I had a 2 nd done at 13 weeks to screen for downs syndrom. Then after that I have had them every 4 weeks to watch babys growth. The hypertention causes small babys and the GD causes extra big babys. At my 20 week I had to have a more detailed US than normal to make sure that babys organs were deveoping normaly because I was taking some pretty nasty pharmacuticals durring the first 8 weeks.

phoenix31674 replied to snh571's response:
The 20 week ultrasound is a common one. Pretty much everyone gets that one to check the development of the baby. It does depend on why you are high risk as to how many you will get.

candy352 replied to phoenix31674's response:
I am high risk due to being a Type 2 Diabetic.

snh571 replied to candy352's response:
You will probably have an US every 3-4 weeks to moniter growth and development.

candy352 replied to snh571's response:
Thanks.

Spotlight: Member Stories

The story I need to tell is the one about fighting infertility, through the two miscarriages and finally the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel-t...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.