Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
high risk pregnancy with prothrombin gene mutations???
Anon_228201 posted:
Hi. I was diagnosed with the prothrombin gene mutation 20210A, MTHFR, Factor V Leiden and Protein S deficiency after getting a superficial blood clot while taking birth control pills. I remember my hematolgist who did the blood work said to let him know immediately if I get pregnant, but that is all that I remember him saying. So now, my husband and I are just starting to plan to have a baby and after looking up on the internet about pregnancy and these mutations, it is hard for me to think about! I just scheduled an appointment (consultation) with the hematologist, but can't get in until September. I am feeling quite anxious and a little scared. If anyone can give me some suggestions or advice that would be great. Maybe it will alleviate some of my anxieties.

mwhite81 responded:
I think your dr will have you take blood thinners (shots) while you are pregnant and maybe even while you are trying to get pregnant. Please don't let these things get you down, there are ways to have wonderful heathly children. Just make sre you find a good OB and know what you are up against before.

We are currently pregnant with our second child, I have MTHFR and factor II, we did not know I had these with our fist child, who turned out just fine.

Right now I am on Flobic and I take one shot a day. I have freind who had to take the shots while trying. Please keep your head up and know that it is truely is all in God's hands!!

kittie_44077 responded:
I am in my 8th month now. I have 3 different clotting issues; mthfr, factor V, and prothrombin. After my 2nd m/c we found this out with some blood tests. I have been on 2 shots each day since I found out that I had conceived. And I will be on these shots until I deliver. I also take a baby asprin as well.
kristin(33) dh(33); 2 m/c, 1 sept 2009 and 1 june 2010. Currently on Heparin shots for 3 different clot issues, cerclage @ 4 months. Due Sept 7th 2011

Spotlight: Member Stories

wow! we found out Mothers day i am expecting new LO! EDD is Jan 20, 2011 it chaged from jan 14. I am now 7wks 3 days and we have had issues so far wit...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.