Skip to content
Is there a link between Lovenox and Autism?
tenclady posted:
I was given Lovenox for my last 2 pregnancies due to previous stillbirth/miscarriages. I was told repeatedly that it was safe, could not cross placental barrier, etc. I now have 2 children, both with autism. I had 2 children from a prior marriage with no developmental problems. Coincidence?!?! I have wondered since my childrens diagnosis. My children are 15 months apart and my daughter wasn't diagnosed until after my son was born. However, I did have some ideas early on (at about 10 months) that there were problems and brought up autism to SEVERAL people including her pediatrician only to be brushed off and told it was me being ridiculous! They are 8 and 61/2 now and, luckily, Dr's and the general population are a slight bit more aware now. Both children are very delayed and can not function in a school setting and have serious difficulties with communication. I searched several years back and spordically since to see if there is a link between the drug and autism. Does anyone know if there have been studies done? There are numerous woman taking this drug for high risk pregnancies, as I did, and I pray that they do not encounter the same problems.

Take the Poll

Is there a link between Lovenox usage for high risk pregnancies and autism?
  • Are there any studies that have been done?
  • Dr.s said it was safe. What are they basing this info on?
vote
View Poll Results

craigsl responded:
http://www.reference.md/files/LO/LOVENOX.html

there is a link that shows up in the above reference. Also took lovenox during pregnancy and have child with autism. We need to continue to post and try to find some answers.

Heidi4696 responded:
I too was given Lovenox for my last 2 pregnancies. I had a brain clot after my 1st baby. They found out I had a Factor V clotting disorder. When my daughter, now 6 years (middle girl) was 13 months everything was delayed. Walking, talking, never crawled. At 3 I could tell all ready she was going to have ADD tendencies. Which I also have since a child. I didn't think much of it back then. Throughout the years I new something wasn't quite right. I saw major OCD and ADD/ ADHD behaviors. She has also since about 3 chewed on thing even eating paper. We have been her Ped, a therapist, Occupational Therapist, and a Psychiatrist throughout the years. One says Sensory Integration disorder, another say ADD with a little ADHD. She is struggling in school, especially to focus. She is very immature emotionally. It clicked last night when I was trying to link something with my 2 kids. I hate myself that I didn't think of this before. Because were told it was safe.
MY son is 3 1/2, he had seizures at 13 months. He had a total of 3 and when you have more than 2 they will then diagnose you as Epileptic. They didn't find anything wrong with him. Nothing on a MRI or anything. Since that day his baby babbling was none existent. He is now putting some 3 words together. Very limited. He tries to say things but some letters he just can't form to make the sound. He is in speech therapy and has been for over a year in a half. He also all ready had adhd and add behaviors. He also will not interact with other kids his age at preschool.
With both of them I have them on Fish oil and vitamin supplements. It's only been 3 weeks, so we will see if it works. I also just started taking her to a Chiropractor. I had my daughter on Add meds for 3 weeks prescribed by the Psychiatrist and took her off. She was having temper tantrums and was having crying spells. Never AGAIN would I put my kids of those meds. I don't know who to go to or who to talk to next. Don't you feel lost? I want answers. I finding too many posts on Lovenox and developmental delays, Autism, ADD And ADHD and many more. I'm scared!! Please if you or anyone have any info on any of these issues.

christusamat responded:
Being a pharmacist myself, I know drugs have post-marketing surveillance. You can enrich the FDA data on Lovenox by providing your patient information. When given enough alarm, the FDA might do something about changing the labeling information on a certain drug. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. God bless.

tenclady replied to christusamat's response:
Thank you for that info! I am going to see who to get this info to. I have been watching and searching for additional info for several years and this is the first time I am hearing from other people that are having the similar problems. When I took this for my daughter it was nine years ago and they were just starting to use it then. Now, so many pregnant woman are taking this. When I contacted my OB to see if he had heard anything about this or had other patients with similar problems since, I got the brush off. Typically, I hear the same thing "no one knows what causes autism..." However, I have been encountering other women with similar situations, prior children with no problem, use lovenox and a child with delays and/or autism.

tenclady replied to Heidi4696's response:
I am sorry to hear about your children's problems. I can relate completely. Feel lost? Constantly!!! I am a single mother with 2 autistic children, no family around, live in east Tennessee where school systems and any type of assistance is pitiful to say the least!!! I am the only one supporting us and have to home school because sending them to school is just NOT an option here. I'm lucky to sleep 2-4 hours a night! Regardless, my kids are doing well and I find with LOTS and LOTS of patience, repetition, and TONS of love they do get better and things get a little easier. They will NEVER be like other children and will always need extra care ...probably for the rest of their lives.They look at life and everything around them differently from most of us and if you try to understand how THEY perceive the world, life gets much easier. Unfortunately, most caretakers just don't have the time or the patience to care for our children the way they need. Lets face it, our children just don't fit in with the group, they probably don't have the time to spend one on one child to do something different just for them to avoid a melt down. Usually you get the standard, " they need medication." Do what you feel is right for your child. You know them best and are their only advocate.
That said, one thing I do know is that children with autism progress differently than the average child. They seem to somewhat stagnate for a bit then make a large leap in comprehension and ability which may not be related to what meds/supplements/diet or therapy they are getting. It seems more related to (this is my own theory) that a neural pathway seems to develop and suddenly they have access to an area of the brain or certain way of thinking they didn't have before. It almost happens overnight. I have seen this with both my children a number of times. I find that I can work on something or have an issue with some behaviour and nothing seems to work. You can go over something 1000's of times, try different ways to do something. You can tell they may be doing what you want but may not really understand. Then suddenly they make one of these LEAPS and suddenly they can do and understand things you never thought they could. Unfortunately, these jumps are somewhat few and far between and seem to get less as they get older. It seemed as they were younger they happened at a 4-6 month interval and never seemed related to diet, supplements, etc., since I have somewhat tested these theories by stopping them and not seeing a difference after they seem to make these comprehensive jumps. Although, I have noticed that most children with autism do need extra supplements due to their dietary restrictions (sometimes just self imposed) and also they seem to have a problem metabolizing certain nutrients( especially the B vitamins and definitely any extra Omega's and GLA is a plus). But, they are also extremely sensitive to seasonal changes, including air fronts (cold/warm), air movement (wind may make it hard for them to understand what you say), vibrations (a/c systems, 2nd floor of a building, elevators), certain sound frequencies, light levels (flickering flourescents are THE worst), odors, illnesses can set them back developmentally for a time, and of course, any sudden changes to ANYTHING in their environment. I have found that I always have to PRE-WARN and be PRE-PARED for anything ! Something as small as getting home in the evening and having to flip on the light switch could cause my son to have a major melt down because of it going from dark to light too quickly and I have to slowly lighten the house with lights that are in another room first until he can adjust. You can usually find a solution to avoid many of their melt downs once you understand the problem (this can be the very tricky part since you often have to be part detective).... I now have a light that automatically comes on at dusk near the door. Problem solved! Well, at least THAT one!!!!!

An_248884 responded:
Hi there, I suffered 7 miscarriages before I was put on heparin injections during pregnancy. I had 2 successful pregnancies as a result of the heparin injections, a10 year old daughter and 9 year old son. Both have high functioning autism. I have quietly thought for sometime this was probably caused by the heparin injections. Though I expect all the medics will deny any links, the high rates of taking this injection during pregnancy and the children with autism, does seem high. Just finding this posting has confirmed what I have thought for some time.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have Type 2 Diabetes and pregnant with my first child. My fiancee and I are too excited. He thought that he couldn't have kids and then this mir...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.