Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    mb5222010 posted:
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone is having the same issue. I recently suffered my first miscarriage and was tested for a blood disorder because some of my family have had trouble with clots. I was told I have MTHFR one copy c667t and one copy A1298C. So was referred to a hematologist he said that my homocysteine levels are normal so it is nothing, just take the normal prenatal vitamins. He said it is so controversial that it even has anything to do with miscarriage. I am trying to get pregnant again and scared that I am not doing everything i can to protect a future baby. I have seen posts that even with normal levels woman are taking precautions. Any advice on whether I should get a second opinion or not would be great.
    HollyTH responded:

    I am so sorry for your loss. Because you have the MTHFR polymorphism, you have a limited ability to metabolize folic acid into its active form, L-methylfolate. Folic acid is synthetic and must be broken down in a four-step process. I work with NeevoDHA which contains L-methylfolate as an alternative to folic acid. You might want to ask you OB about it. L-methylfolate is increases blood folate levels and decreases homocysteine levels more effectively than folic acid.

    Babycenter has a large community of MTHFR ladies if you need advice. They have a wealth of information. I wish you the best of luck trying to concieve and I hope you have a bfp in the very near future!

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I've been moderating message boards at WebMD for 7 years now. Working within all area's of WebMD. I am the mother of 5 children. 4 boys ra...More

    Helpful Tips

    Want to change font size?
    It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    11 of 23 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.